READ THE RULES: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xentax/ :)

Resistance 2 .dat files ¿how do i decrypt them?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
OverLord115
ultra-n00b

Resistance 2 .dat files ¿how do i decrypt them?

Post by OverLord115 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:04 pm

Hello, I'm new to these forums and I would like to know how decrypt the .dat files (mainly mobys, textures and shaders because I understood that they are the most important) of Resistance 2, I have seen several times that this topic was treated but I still do not understand it. I understood that the program noesis serves to decrypt this type of files but it always gives me the error "File could not be previewed" with all the .dat files and others so if they have the solution to this I would be very grateful. All this to get the models (obviously), textures (also obviously) and sounds to export them to Garry's Mod.

Here is the mobys, textures and shaders.dat link: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/zn4nn1fpi3qb5/things

From already thank you very much

(Sorry if i have a bad english, i am from Argentina)

PredatorCZ
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Resistance 2 .dat files ¿how do i decrypt them?

Post by PredatorCZ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:25 pm

All those dat files are headerless archives without TOC, they are cooked that way.
All of them are hash-based. File "assetlookups.dat" is TOC file that contains offset infos for most other .dat files.
About naming them, some files have names built-in, some don't. Textures are tricky to get, since infos are stored in shader files.

OverLord115
ultra-n00b

Post by OverLord115 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:40 pm

PredatorCZ wrote:All those dat files are headerless archives without TOC, they are cooked that way.
All of them are hash-based. File "assetlookups.dat" is TOC file that contains offset infos for most other .dat files.
About naming them, some files have names built-in, some don't. Textures are tricky to get, since infos are stored in shader files.
So, i need to search how to decrypt .toc files?

PredatorCZ
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by PredatorCZ » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:45 pm

They are not encrypted, they're just cooked.
Here, let me explain.
All those files: animsets, assetlookup,cinematics,cubemaps,effect, etc.
Most of them are linked together via hashes.
And file called assetlookups.dat like I said is TOC (== Table of contents).
That means it have hashed names and offsets for most of other files, so game could read them correctly.
Anyway I'm testing my old extraction app for this game, I'll try to release it next week. It should extract/convert most files.

OverLord115
ultra-n00b

Post by OverLord115 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:17 pm

PredatorCZ wrote:They are not encrypted, they're just cooked.
Here, let me explain.
All those files: animsets, assetlookup,cinematics,cubemaps,effect, etc.
Most of them are linked together via hashes.
And file called assetlookups.dat like I said is TOC (== Table of contents).
That means it have hashed names and offsets for most of other files, so game could read them correctly.
Anyway I'm testing my old extraction app for this game, I'll try to release it next week. It should extract/convert most files.
Oh! Now I understand, well, thank you very much for the explanations and everything, I hope you are successful with your extraction app and if you can let me know when it is achievable :D