Unused Language Select in Gladiator:Road to Freedom Remix?

Need help translating games in other languages? Have your language problems solved here.
SockMankey
ultra-n00b

Unused Language Select in Gladiator:Road to Freedom Remix?

Post by SockMankey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:29 am

So a little context on how i found this.
I got nostalgic for the game Colosseum:Road to Freedom (PS2) and decided to checkout the Japanese exclusive remix release (it has new content) and decided to check if it was possible to port the english script to it by editing files (it is possible but it'll need work to shorten some lines)

I used expert tool with the ps2shinker to get the games files.The ones i've looked at for porting the script are DATA.RBB and GG.DAT with a simple hex editor you should be able to open them. While looking though DATA.RBB i found what appears to be a disabled Language select option (search for language and it'll bring you to it because it's only mentioned in that section of code) that appears to contain options for English and Japanese.
The GG.DAT file contains the full English and Japanese scripts.
The Language option code it's both in DATA.RBB and GG.DAT among the rest of the main menu options.
I have not been able to get the language select to work
I have not found any talk about this in other forums so i thought that i'll let you guys know about this.

DaCerne
ultra-n00b

Re: Unused Language Select in Gladiator:Road to Freedom Remix?

Post by DaCerne » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:59 pm

Hi SockMankey,

I know it's been a long time, but...

I am also a big fan of this game. Hunting down every possible edition of it. I have a normal one, released in 2004, I have a violent one (there is 3rd option besides blood and skins called gore) basically in the "gore" edition you can cut out the limbs of your opponents: legs, arms, heads ... pertty cool!!
I have a Japanese one called Gladiator: road to freedom remix. This one was released in 2005. It has more characters and customizable armors. But you probably know it already.

But did you know, that... there is one more last edition of this game called: Gladiator: Road to freedom SPECIAL REMIX (or ERTAIN SPECIAL) released in 2006 only in Japan). It has even more characters and I believe more staff, as it is SPECIAL. I do not have this edition as of today. But I found on webshop used DVD. I bought it from Japan!! Now I am patiently waiting for it to be delivered :D

As you can imagine, I also would like to dig into the scripts of this game and make a translation (or unlock it, as I assume, you found some interesting stuff inside game files.

Would you be so kind and share for example what programs did you use to hack the game files of PS2? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS. Maybe we could team up regarding this?! :D [bruce]

Darfoz11
ultra-n00b

Post by Darfoz11 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:24 am

Hey man, I also have huge nostalgia for this game and played it when I was younger! Today, I installed an emulator and tried playing gladiator road to freedom remix, but the japanese is a bit jarring. Do you speak japanese? or have you just memorized where everything is? or is there a way to change the language which i don't know of? I'd appreciate an answer. Thanks!

Awesome to see people talk about this game in 2021!

Placur999
ultra-n00b

Post by Placur999 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:08 am

Very nostalgic, hey, my friends, I'm looking for the raw material for this game, I haven't finished this game for a long time, please :[