Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Guild Wars .DAT File

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Russian
ultra-n00b

Guild Wars .DAT File

Post by Russian » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:34 pm

Hallo, I got Guild Wars and its all packed in a GW.dat file (over 2 GB).
Does anyone know how to extract or open the .dat file. Cause there is music in it and I want to replace it with some other music.
Tnx,
Russian

friendsofwatto
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by friendsofwatto » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:33 pm

Hi mate,

This is where we have been working on the format - http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Guild_Wars_DAT - but I don't think we have anything working yet. Sorry mate.

WATTO
watto@watto.org
http://www.watto.org
Game Extractor - Read and write thousands of game archives!

Russian
ultra-n00b

Post by Russian » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:04 pm

TNX, but I have already checked that out and dont understand it lol.
Maybe u can help me by saying with what packer its packed or somethin..
Tnx,
Russian

friendsofwatto
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by friendsofwatto » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:41 pm

We do not know any programs or packers for this game yet.

WATTO
watto@watto.org
http://www.watto.org
Game Extractor - Read and write thousands of game archives!

Russian
ultra-n00b

Post by Russian » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:54 pm

Lets try to find one ...?

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:22 am

Be our guest, if you find one, let us know! :)

MtnSyn
ultra-n00b

Post by MtnSyn » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:29 pm

found this site via google, and really hope you guys could get this workin. I've read all the stuff about the gw.dat file from the wiki and looks complicated lol. :oops:

I'm kinda concerned what all is in that file especially considering there is "dye" in the game that allows you to change the color of Armor/Weapons.. would each color be a diffrent picture image... resulting in 50+ pictures for a single item... or would there only be one file but the game tells it to shade it a certain color of blue/red/green etc...?

great app btw, tried it on a couple half-life .wad files and worked perfectly.

Bane
ultra-n00b

Post by Bane » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi guys,

I also found this post via google. I was hoping to find a unpacking program for the gw.dat, I assume its where the music/sounds files are stored along with other thing, but mostly I'm interested in the sound files.

Xuerian
ultra-n00b

Post by Xuerian » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:16 pm

I've read over the wiki page and the comments page, and the Train Driver 2005 fiasco thread ... :? It doesn't really look like there is no solution yet, but more that no one has brought together the separate work that people got done in discussion (Or finished documenting it, or releasing their stuff... I couldn't find contact information for the interesting ones) here. :(

So what it looks like is that in/here at XeNTaX, music (From the raw DAT) and many other files (Through DLL hooking) have been successfully extracted (I tried finding the LAME header, but... gah, I've got a leeooonnng way to go, I don't even fully understand how to understand the data presented in a hex editor, or if I'm missing a stage, or.. etc), but not the complete filesystem as was bragged upon in the thread ... :|

It would be really neat if someone who knows the people in the discussion could tag them and get them to post everything they have (Not necessarily work on it more.. Just so everyone else is up to speed). :)

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:38 am

I agree, and actually the wiki would be the place to collect all this info.

Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:05 pm

If you would like a list of the people who have contributed to the WIKI page, you can always click on 'Page history' when viewing it... It should be either in the left-hand navigation bar or along the top of the page (or both).
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.

Xuerian
ultra-n00b

Post by Xuerian » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:51 am

MrMouse: Right.... It's all there, nothing new here... :(

Dinoguy: Yeah, that's the general idea... Don't know what I'm looking for here, though... :?

The key people in the discussion page all either have no userpage or no relevant info on it... So I can't do the legwork contacting them without being a human forum-spider and getting lucky finding something here on the forums, unless there's something obvious I missed. If there is, point it out if you would so I can start. :)

Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:58 am

Xuerian wrote:Dinoguy: Yeah, that's the general idea... Don't know what I'm looking for here, though... :?
Hmm... I seem to have forgotten that the page has been moved a time or two... even through this page, the only contributer is shown to be Mr.Mouse... :(
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:53 am

Well, yes, for that page. But the content was I think done by this mix of people:

http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Talk:Guild_Wars_DAT

Xuerian
ultra-n00b

Post by Xuerian » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:20 pm

Alright. So the history pages (Both talk and base) only have Mouse's pawprints.

As for the talk page, these four seem to have done most of the work, and have gotten the furthest... But no user pages (But nick, which has nothing but questions).
-SilentAvenger (Ringleader!)
-Republicola
-Nicoli_s
-xttocs

I didn't find any forum profiles for them either, so I subsequently can't try to contact them that way.... The only lead I can find is the IRC channel ( irc.wc3campagins.com #hakhak ) that AzuiSleet mentions at the bottom, but I don't have a working IRC client t the time, I'll need to spend a few minutes and look into that.... So for now just a restatement of the obvious. :P