Poll time! Click here: Are you interested in the chiptune scene? If so, which?. Let's see what our community thinks of the chiptune scene. :) !

Fatal Frame 1 Sub File

Need help translating games in other languages? Have your language problems solved here.
NunamedDragon
ultra-n00b

Fatal Frame 1 Sub File

Post by NunamedDragon » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi i've been trying to create a proper undub of Fatalframe 1 for the og Xbox. I've manage to identify the English sub file (its just placeholders text, see image attached). Unfortunately I've been unable to identity a way to edit it. I believe it to be a compiled C file (if its the case then I'm screwed).

Would someone please just take a look at the attached and confirmed my suspicions and that its not a proprietary file format?
I'm not familiar with c
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lehieugch68
ultra-n00b

Re: Fatal Frame 1 Sub File

Post by lehieugch68 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:43 pm

This is the decoded text, but I'm not sure about the file's structure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NunamedDragon
ultra-n00b

Post by NunamedDragon » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:15 pm

lehieugch68 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:43 pm
This is the decoded text, but I'm not sure about the file's structure.
Omg thanks so it was possible, was it easy?
If so is possible to reencode the file once edited?

I'd would be more than eternally grateful if you could at minimum just point me in a right direction

valiuspiu
ultra-n00b

Post by valiuspiu » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:19 am

I have a question, how were you able to get the placeholder sub files to show up in-game?

Also, I too am interested in this project, but I'm new to modding Xbox OG games in general. Anyone knowledgeable about decrypting and reencrypting obj files for this game?

NunamedDragon
ultra-n00b

Post by NunamedDragon » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:24 am

valiuspiu wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:19 am
I have a question, how were you able to get the placeholder sub files to show up in-game?

Also, I too am interested in this project, but I'm new to modding Xbox OG games in general. Anyone knowledgeable about decrypting and reencrypting obj files for this game?
By cheating, switched the game to french and change the sub files located /msg by renaming ig_msg_e (english) to ig_msg_f (french) assuming your using the pal version,

to properly do it you'll have to learn hex editing and edit the xbe.

/tim contains, item images, gui, title screen, option screen backgrounds . such a title screen that first loads. Try switching to french or another language that FF supports, and changing the language suffix to that and have a play, such as getting the Japanese load screen and title to appear while in french language etc.

I didn't bother doing more trial & error/research as someone else messaged me that they where doing their own. This was back in march.
As for decoding and recoding the sub file, I'm afraid I'm unable to help.

They lazy way i had attempted to undub it. would edit the hex and force it to another language. Then replace the _f suffix with the edit sub file (if i had figured it out) and load in the japanese menu items.

Good luck

My log of me manipulating the files
Fatal Frame 1,

File play around
letter at end of file name denotes language e = english, j = japanese etc
m0_event_e.obj = english
m0_event_j.obj = japanese

* = Unconfirmed
event\

m0_event_e.obj effects text for mirrors, clocks no critical items.

*ig_msg_e.obj possible text of critical items, camera,books etc

tim\
Folder of textures for menu items such as title screen loading screen etc
.xp2 Image File

title_e.xp2 initial fatl frame/project zero on inita loading

*msn00ttl_e.xp2 00-04 Starting images for each night including the Hurimo intro

msg\
contains the subtitle files

valiuspiu
ultra-n00b

Post by valiuspiu » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:20 am

Thank you for all the info and explanation! Ah, I had forgotten that the non-English languages would've required subs for the English audio as well. So the person working on this is in this forum?

At least, it seems the mystery is how to edit the text for the English placeholder subs in the obj and then re-encrypt it to work with the game.