Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

[PS2] Text and font extraction (Atelier Marie + Elie)

Need help translating games in other languages? Have your language problems solved here.
Flamel
ultra-n00b

[PS2] Text and font extraction (Atelier Marie + Elie)

Post by Flamel » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:33 pm

Hello everyone,

I would like to translate the game Atelier Marie + Elie from english to french. The game is quite old, and even after some extensive research, I didn't find any useful resources/tutorials about text extraction and insertion for PS2 games. The most forceful technique would be to modify directly all the text opening the ISO in some hexadecimal editor, but this is excruciatingly painful because I cannot change the length of my dialogues without making the whole ISO crash (even when simply deleting to compensate some seemingly harmless zeros) and furthermore, in french there are special characters (such as é, è, ê etc.) that obviously won't appear because the encoding/font are not correct.
That is why I am in desperate need for some tutorial or resources (I know these are scarce, unfortunately) to be able to do the standard stuff, in particular how to find the pointer table and how to extract and inject back the text. Any help/link would be extremely helpful, given that I simply never found anything clear and explicit for the whole pointer table stuff, for instance.

ikskoks

Re: [PS2] Text and font extraction (Atelier Marie + Elie)

Post by ikskoks » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:57 pm

Hello. I was able to check your file ATL.MFE, but it seems to be encrypted in some way.
Your best chance would be to contact RuleFury, creator of english translation --> http://www.romhacking.net/community/2985/
to get some help or tools.

And if you're really looking for some tutorials, just check these viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22266