Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

(3DS) Monster Hunter 4 *.mib files

Read or post about compression. And decompression. Or ask questions how to decompress your files.
eycaramba
veteran

(3DS) Monster Hunter 4 *.mib files

Post by eycaramba » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Hey everyone,

sadly nobody was interested or able to help with the MH3U quest files but maybe I'm more lucky with MH4, Capcoms latest 3DS MonHun title.

The .mib format has been used to store quest data in previous games already but same as with the MH3U .quest files there seems to be an extra layer of encryption or something.

Here are some examples that I dumped. Mainly interested in the Eventquest\ and Challengequest\ files but maybe the other text files share the same encryption and can help to crack the encryption more easily.

Thank you very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: (3DS) Monster Hunter 4 *.mib files

Post by Pepper » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:28 pm

It's probably still encrypted since no one's publicly leaked the 3ds ROMFS decryption keys, the only methods currently for decrypting involve CTRtool and a debug 3ds (there are less than a half dozen of these in the hands of hackers)
Edit: wait, those txt files came from it inside the ROMFS too right? How did you manage that?
Double edit: is questlist.txt yours or from inside the .3ds rom?

eycaramba
veteran

Post by eycaramba » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:35 am

They don't come from inside the ROM, Capcom offers free DLC and I just dumped these files using a proxy tool. These are however the legit files since I can remap i.e. Quest A for Quest B and the game accepts it. Once I change a single byte tho, the game spits out an error message. So there is probably some checksum on the files (maybe the second to last 4 bytes since the last 4 bytes seem to describe the actual file length).

questlist.txt is mine ^^

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Oh. derp. I feel stupid didn't know that.

eycaramba
veteran

Post by eycaramba » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:59 pm

*push*

According to Falo, an 8-bit XOR encryption is used. At first glance he thought it would be 0x2E 0x48 0x4C 0x12 0x10 0x0E 0xF0 0x38 but obviously this doesn't seem to fully decrypt the files but at least makes them look more structered.

In the included txt you can find the japanese name of the quests or the name of the content stored in the odt files. Maybe it helps to find the right key...

GovanifY
advanced

Post by GovanifY » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:21 am

Pepper wrote:It's probably still encrypted since no one's publicly leaked the 3ds ROMFS decryption keys, the only methods currently for decrypting involve CTRtool and a debug 3ds (there are less than a half dozen of these in the hands of hackers)
Edit: wait, those txt files came from it inside the ROMFS too right? How did you manage that?
Double edit: is questlist.txt yours or from inside the .3ds rom?
There's NO KEYS FOUND YET. The 3ds is using a keyscrambler, the 3ds itself contains the keyX and the game contains the keyY. Then the 3ds is using the keyscrambler for decrypt the game. a.k.a. the key is different for every 3ds game, you have to have the keyX. And she can't be reversed easily b\c hardware keyscrambler
The only limit I've encountered so far is my brain.

-----------------------------------------------
Ya can check my work here:
http://www.govanify.blogspot.fr
http://www.govanify.com
https://twitter.com/GovanifY