The rules have been updated, read them now: Rules!

Serious Sam (HD, 3) unknown texture package

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
0ther1
n00b

Serious Sam (HD, 3) unknown texture package

Post by 0ther1 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:07 pm

Textures in Serious Engine 3-3.5 (Serious Sam HD and 3) are either compressed with DXT or uncompressed BGR/BGRA, but some of them have flag "packed". Here's 1024x256 texture exported with Serious Editor (official game tools):
And here what I've got using uncompressed BGRA texture data:
It looks like outlines of same picture but smaller and a whole bunch (also under every smaller copy are even smaller mip-maps but that's expected, they are stored in texture data), on picture I used black background for visibility, in reality there are same alpha channel. I've compared 2 different textures with same size and they have same texture data length so it's unlikely a compression? Also, even textures compressed with DXT can have this flag and will produce mess with just plain DXT decompression. Any ideas?

EDITED:
Never mind, figured it out by disassembling. In short - for BGR/BGRA data separated in blocks, first goes block of every pixel's B color, next G, R and A if has alpha. For DXT compressed almost same, but first goes block of first colors, then block of second colors and block of indices, and DXT3/5 another set of blocks