Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Decompile SWF version 11

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
lolbas
beginner

Decompile SWF version 11

Post by lolbas » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:22 pm

The game in question is made by Gameloft, and the compiled SWF seem to be of version 11. The are a lot of UI's made of SWF, but they all seem to use library.swf and mainUI.swf files. The final goal I have in mind is to write my own UI but making it working as if it was the original. From what I understand, SWF files call game methods via some API, and I believe I can see the names in SWF file, but I'm not certain. I tried JPEXS Decompiler, but I don't have "Scripts" tree node in the result. Searching through the web only gives me very old results for old Flash version. Are there any up-to-date tools that can help me? Or what do I need to do/to research to achieve my goal?

Sample files: https://www.mediafire.com/file/y4qyxhfk6279ksx

lolbas
beginner

Re: Decompile SWF version 11

Post by lolbas » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Alright, so deciding to look into this again after a break, I was able to parse the SWF with swf-parser lib, as well as 010 Editor SWF template from their repository, which turned out to have a bug that prevented me from parsing it at the time of the first post.

Anyway, I was hoping to see the byte-code (ABC) somewhere in the SWF tags, but the samples I checked don't have it. Instead, they have a tag of type = 300, which contains a lot of binary data (see screenshot). Googling the first bytes seem to reveal that this tag should actually be a byte-code, however
if I use a disassembler tool like Flazzy, it errors at runtime because either the code is invalid ABC, or it has some unsupported format. Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lolbas
beginner

Post by lolbas » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:55 pm

So this turned out to be the byte-code, however with the help of Flazzy I was able to figure out

At 0x12 you can see that there are 5 params, and 0x1b tells us that 7 of them are optional, which is totally nonsense because
...The number of optional parameters is given by option_count, which must not be zero nor greater than the parameter_count...
(from official documentation, par. 4.5.1).

Attached screenshot shows the method infos block (0x0 byte indicates methods count). Any ideas what's actually going on here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lolbas
beginner

Post by lolbas » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:31 pm

Another round of playing around after some time and I've got some nice progress. Turns out that a few major structures are complying with the AVM2 specification: constants pool and method bodies. However methods bodies list required minor change:
1. There is no structs count field.
2. Method body structure has one extra field at the beginning - method index
3. First method body index _is_ the total structs count.

In the screenshot below the top green selection is constants pool , the bottom selection is method bodies, with the byte code in gray. The `0x2F` indicates amount of methods (as can be seen both at `0x04A8` and `0x06DF`).
automove.png
The middle uncolored part on the left _should_ contain description for the following structs:
1. Methods info
2. Metadata
3. Instances info
4. Classes info
5. Scripts info

Still a lot, right? Now watch this: using the following (actually quite straightforward) struct I was able to parse the weird pattern in the bottom middle:

Code: Select all

struct Test {
    EncodedU32 count <bgcolor=0x00FFFF>;
    EncodedU32 values[count.value] <bgcolor=0xDDDDDD>;
};

FSeek(0x585);
EncodedU32 count <bgcolor=0x00FF00>;

local int i;
for (i = 0; i < count; i++) {
    Test test;
}
Results you can see on the right side of the screenshot on top.

Given that this is a custom tag and that this structure is not similar to any of the missing ones, I assume some of the structs (like Metadata) was completely removed, but How do I proceed with parsing the middle part?

Last but not least, if I were to parse the middle part as required, starting with Methods info, it would overlap the right Test structure.

lolbas
beginner

Post by lolbas » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:18 am

Almost solved! The `method_info` structures are actually still missing (at least in the form described by docs), but 2 bytes away I found unchanged `Instances` and `Classes` description, which you can see on screenshot.
automove almost.png
The yellow `2F 00` are what were giving me troubles. `2F` is a count (probably of `methods_body` structs count) with a trailing zero padding (likely), followed by `Instances` in cyan and `Classes` in green. The orange part is unchanged `Scripts` definition.

The gray part is still unknown. I doubt it's anything like metadata, so my best bet is these are `method_info` structures which in docs is described as follows:

method_info {
    u30          param_count
    u30          return_type
    u30          param_type[param_count]
    u30          name
    u8           flags
    option_info  options
    param_info   param_names
}
Guess I'm actually finally stuck again here :(

lolbas
beginner

Post by lolbas » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:18 am

Case solved! Turned out this structure is actually 95% compliant with official specs with some small changes.

First change is the order of structures. AVM2 specification states that the following order is expected:

Version
ConstantsPool
Methods
Metadata
Instances
Classes
Scripts
MethodBodies
and the game SWF has following order:

Version
ConstantsPool
UnknownCount <-- extra u30 field which seems to hold the same value as method count, but the usage is unknown
Metadata
Instances
Classes
Scripts
Methods
MethodBodies
Another difference applies to Method and MethodBody structs, where devs added data size field before the struct and after index field respectively.