Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Weird Normal Map

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
lolwatt
veteran

Weird Normal Map

Post by lolwatt » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:55 am

Hi,

Not exactly a format question, more like something going on with my dumps. I hope it is ok to be here since it's graphic related.

These are the normal maps I'm getting from NinjaRipper. If you switch the image channels you can definitely see there is normal information going on there, but it's not the usual switch/invert channels to get them right.

It is also dumping this:

Does anyone know what is going on there?
I could not figure this one out.

Thanks

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Re: Weird Normal Map

Post by lionheartuk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:44 am

These are the normal maps I'm getting from NinjaRipper. If you switch the image channels you can definitely see there is normal information going on there, but it's not the usual switch/invert channels to get them right.
This normal map is only the R and G channels, known as the normal maps X and Y.
Normal maps usually ahve 3 channels, RGB right, but the B channel is usually useless information and so can be discarded and rebuild in a shader in the engine itself.
That frees up space to use the B channel for something else, such as a height map, or a roughness map.
Looking at this particular texture, the B channel is entirely diffrent to the previous 2, and its a lot lower detail,it could be a roughness map, I can't really tell sorry.
It is also dumping this:
Does anyone know what is going on there?
I could not figure this one out.
Thats an LUT texture, LookupTexture.
Typically thats applied to the camera as a post process.
These files handle things like color tinting, you take a screenshot of your scene, with no color tinting applied, take it into photoshop, along with a clean version of an LUT texture, and then in photoshop you start applying effects to the above layers, such as darkening, color tints and so on.
Theres a more detailed explanation of them and what they do here https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Eng ... index.html

I don't know what engine the files you've exported are from, as a few engines use LUT textures.
"Lemons are people nice hardworking & honest people too..."

purupeo
ultra-n00b

Post by purupeo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:05 pm

Try normalcompleter v1.0.

lolwatt
veteran

Post by lolwatt » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:24 am

lionheartuk wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:44 am
This normal map is only the R and G channels, known as the normal maps X and Y.
Normal maps usually ahve 3 channels, RGB right, but the B channel is usually useless information and so can be discarded and rebuild in a shader in the engine itself.
That frees up space to use the B channel for something else, such as a height map, or a roughness map.
Looking at this particular texture, the B channel is entirely diffrent to the previous 2, and its a lot lower detail,it could be a roughness map, I can't really tell sorry.
Ha, yes! I understand about the normal maps, I think I didn't explain my issue very well. Sorry about this.

The problem I have is mostly the channels.
I can tell the Green and Red channels are inverted. They are "GRB". Switching them fixes this problem.
I had to invert the Blue channel so it's white (usually they are mostly white anyway)

BUT now, obviously, the color of this normal map is completely wrong.
The channels are very dark, I tried to play with levels here and there, trying to fix them, but I can never get why it's like that or how to restore it.

What is up with that? Could you figure this out?
lionheartuk wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:44 am
Thats an LUT texture, LookupTexture
Oh, I completely missed this one. Thanks :)
I thought it had something to do with the Normal mapping (look at the colors hehe)
purupeo wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:05 pm
Try normalcompleter v1.0.
Thanks, this will fix my blue channel, but have a look on the above! hehe

roswell
n00b

Post by roswell » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Does NinjaRipper rip everything to 24-bit jpg files?

Because if this is a 32-bit file, then you're missing the alpha channel (RGBA), which could hold some important information.
NinjaRipper could be discarding it.

Hoogkamp
ultra-n00b

Post by Hoogkamp » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:14 am

It’s hard to see what’s going on in your screenshots. The first one is very bright and the second one seems to have a color texture which makes it more confusing. If it’s a normal map problem, all the other material channels are unnecessary to show liteblue login
Last edited by Hoogkamp on Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:38 am

Hoogkamp wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:14 am
It’s hard to see what’s going on in your screenshots. The first one is very bright and the second one seems to have a color texture which makes it more confusing. If it’s a normal map problem, all the other material channels are unnecessary to show.
The second one isn't a normal map, its a LUT texture, which is used in various game engines to tint scenes during post processing.
"Lemons are people nice hardworking & honest people too..."