READ THE RULES: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xentax/ :)

[Solved] Bully Scholarship Edition (PC) Audio Files

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
ReeceMix
advanced

[Solved] Bully Scholarship Edition (PC) Audio Files

Post by ReeceMix » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 am

Bully Scholarship Edition (PC) has Bin files for all the audio, each Bin has a Lst file that when opened in notepad reads...

Code: Select all

MS_MisbehavingLow.rsm
EX_XmasTreeEmitter04.rsm
MS_CarnivalFunhouseAmbient.rsm
MS_Somower.rsm
MS_RomanceHigh.rsm
MS_MusicClass_Turkey.rsm
etc 
I was wondering if these rsm files can be extracted and converted to wav/mp3 etc?

EDIT: Solved, RENIKRILL's QuickBMS Scripts (To Extract the .Bin/.Sea) + ToWav (To convert the XSB + XWB into .wav)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ReeceMix on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Faqew
advanced

Re: Bully Scholarship Edition (PC) RSM audio?

Post by Faqew » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Why do you want to extract the sound?
Both, the retail version and the Steam version of the game come with the soundtrack on CD/320kbit MP3.

ReeceMix
advanced

Post by ReeceMix » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:36 pm

I have the UK Retail version of Bully SE that didnt include a soundtrack, I didnt realise the steam version had the soundtrack too.

but I would like to be able to extract speech and sound effects also.

RENIKRILL
advanced

Post by RENIKRILL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:07 pm

ReeceMix, just for future reference, it's prudent to provide an uploaded example of at least one, or part of the file((type(s)) of which you are making particular reference to within your forum-post, so that others can download & examine them for your benefit. This is explicitly due to the reality that not every member here is psychic.
However, in this particular case, I've looked into these files myself already.

This [appropriately-modified] quickbms script willl output seperated .xsb and .xwb files for each audiofile referenced within any given sound-archive, respectively:

open FDDE bin 0
open FDDE lst 1

idstring Hash
get FILES long

for i = 0 < FILES
	get FILEHASH long
	get OFFSET long
	get SIZE long
	getct NAME string 0x0D 1
	get TXT byte 1

set XSBN string NAME
	string XSBN -= 4
	string XSBN += .xsb
	set XWBN string NAME
	string XWBN -= 4
	string XWBN += .xwb
	set XWBOFF long OFFSET
	math XWBOFF += 0x800
	set XWBSIZE long SIZE
	math XWBSIZE -= 0x800

log XSBN OFFSET 0x800
	log XWBN XWBOFF XWBSIZE
next i
FYI: the "rsm" files are simply xbox-soundbanks (xwb) followed by the corresponding wavebank (xwb). And by the looks of what follows, the encoding is microsoft-adpcm.
The quickest way of decoding these files to wave is to use towav, which automates the procedure greatly. If you don't happen to have this app lying about your computer already, it's freely available from ctpax-x.ru

So once you've extracted the individual files from any of the given game audio-archives, just put towav.exe and its .bat into the folder along with your extracted .xwb files and use the batchfile to produce some familiar wave files.
Hope this helps you out mate. :)
Faqew wrote:Why do you want to extract the sound?
Both, the retail version and the Steam version of the game come with the soundtrack on CD/320kbit MP3.
Simply put: there's hours worth of original music within the game, which ultimately didn't get given a place within the soundtrack, so i guess any desire for more is understandable.

ReeceMix
advanced

Post by ReeceMix » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks so much this is exactly what I was looking for :)
x

RENIKRILL
advanced

Post by RENIKRILL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:58 pm

you're welcome m8 (:

Faqew
advanced

Post by Faqew » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:45 pm

RENIKRILL wrote:
Faqew wrote:Why do you want to extract the sound?
Simply put: there's hours worth of original music within the game, which ultimately didn't get given a place within the soundtrack, so i guess any desire for more is understandable.
Sorry, didn't know that. I thought every "big" track found its way onto the soundtrack CD. :)

nkttis
ultra-n00b

Post by nkttis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:37 pm

RENIKRILL wrote:ReeceMix, just for future reference, it's prudent to provide an uploaded example of at least one, or part of the file((type(s)) of which you are making particular reference to within your forum-post, so that others can download & examine them for your benefit. This is explicitly due to the reality that not every member here is psychic.
However, in this particular case, I've looked into these files myself already.

This [appropriately-modified] quickbms script willl output seperated .xsb and .xwb files for each audiofile referenced within any given sound-archive, respectively:

open FDDE bin 0
open FDDE lst 1

idstring Hash
get FILES long

for i = 0 < FILES
	get FILEHASH long
	get OFFSET long
	get SIZE long
	getct NAME string 0x0D 1
	get TXT byte 1

set XSBN string NAME
	string XSBN -= 4
	string XSBN += .xsb
	set XWBN string NAME
	string XWBN -= 4
	string XWBN += .xwb
	set XWBOFF long OFFSET
	math XWBOFF += 0x800
	set XWBSIZE long SIZE
	math XWBSIZE -= 0x800

log XSBN OFFSET 0x800
	log XWBN XWBOFF XWBSIZE
next i
FYI: the "rsm" files are simply xbox-soundbanks (xwb) followed by the corresponding wavebank (xwb). And by the looks of what follows, the encoding is microsoft-adpcm.
The quickest way of decoding these files to wave is to use towav, which automates the procedure greatly. If you don't happen to have this app lying about your computer already, it's freely available from ctpax-x.ru

So once you've extracted the individual files from any of the given game audio-archives, just put towav.exe and its .bat into the folder along with your extracted .xwb files and use the batchfile to produce some familiar wave files.
Hope this helps you out mate. :)
I had the same dilema as ReeceMix, except with the Ps2 version of Bully. I used RENIKRILL's QuickBMS script on the SPEECH.bin file under the AUDIO folder ripped from the DVD and it worked like a charm. So I had thousands of .xsb and .xwb files now from the .bin. I downloaded ToWav from the exact site given by RENIKRILL, put the .exe and .bat files in the same folder as all my xsb and xwb files and ran the program through the batch file. A black command prompt window opened. And nothing happened. I gave it more time and a window popped up reading "Exception EAccessViolation in module towav.exe at 00029ed8. Access violation at adress 00429ED8 in module 'towav.exe'. Read of adress 0000000A". I tried running towav through command prompt, checking the batch file, downloading towav through different sites, trying out all the different .xsb converters and extractors I could find but to no avail. What am I doing wrong? What should I do? Help would be GREATLY appreciated. And i've attached a zip of some of the files for reference. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Strobe

Post by Strobe » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:29 pm

The XWB files contains VAG data without a proper VAG header. i slapped a VAG header ontop of them and the program converted them to WAV just fine.
the XSB files however doesnt really contain any data at all.
Last edited by Strobe on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding attachment

nkttis
ultra-n00b

Post by nkttis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:00 am

Strobe wrote:The XWB files contains VAG data without a proper VAG header. i slapped a VAG header ontop of them and the program converted them to WAV just fine.
the XSB files however doesnt really contain any data at all.
Thanks! But how do I go about creating .vag headers for the .xwb files?

AlphaTwentyThree
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by AlphaTwentyThree » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Use GENH from HCS: http://hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=10460 and play them with the vgmstream plugin for Winamp (http://hcs64.com/vgmstream.html)
Careful: All variables have to be entered as DECIMAL, so a hex interleave of 0x800 has to be entered as 2048!
For a faster processing you may want to open the headerless files with MFAudio (from Zophar's Domain) and play around with the interleave first. I expect all tracks to have the same interleave. For the sample rate: search for any clue about that - it's variable.
If you like what you see, why not click the little Thank You button? ;) It will definitely motivate me! :)
And here's Mr.Mouse's Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 8469022795 - thanks ;)

RENIKRILL
advanced

Post by RENIKRILL » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:13 pm

Hey dude that script was slightly modified from it's original state and is only applicable to the archives used in the PC scholarship edition.
The PS2 audio-archives are identical, but they don't contain the xsb/xwb audio stuff, so you're gonna need the unmodified bms to get the untouched files.

# Bully (original game) - PS2

open FDDE bin 0
open FDDE lst 1

idstring Hash
get FILES long

for i = 0 < FILES
	get FILEHASH long
	get OFFSET long
	get SIZE long
	getct NAME string 0x0D 1
	get TXT byte 1	# '\x0D'

log NAME OFFSET SIZE
next i
Once extracted, you should have any number of *.rsm files instead of the xsb/xwb stuff.
IIRC vgmstream supports the headers in these files, so no additional work needs to be done.
Grab the latest build from here: http://hcs64.com/files/vgmstream/

Hope this helps.

nkttis
ultra-n00b

Post by nkttis » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:09 am

AlphhaTwentyThree, the GENH file was not found when I tried the link to it... I didn't manage to find any other links.
RENIKRILL once again, your script worked perfectly and I ended up with a bunch of rsm files. So I went on to getting the latest vgmstream for winamp. Followed intructions in readme, put in_vgmstream into plugins under winamp, the other 3 required dll files together in the winamp.exe directory, but Winamp just could not play the files. The readme didn't list any support for rsm. rstm, yes but not rsm. Are they the same thing though? Running the test.exe that came with in_vegstream didn't recognise the rsm files either. And i'm stuck again.

RENIKRILL
advanced

Post by RENIKRILL » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:24 am

nkttis wrote:AlphhaTwentyThree, the GENH file was not found when I tried the link to it... I didn't manage to find any other links.
RENIKRILL once again, your script worked perfectly and I ended up with a bunch of rsm files. So I went on to getting the latest vgmstream for winamp. Followed intructions in readme, put in_vgmstream into plugins under winamp, the other 3 required dll files together in the winamp.exe directory, but Winamp just could not play the files. The readme didn't list any support for rsm. rstm, yes but not rsm. Are they the same thing though? Running the test.exe that came with in_vegstream didn't recognise the rsm files either. And i'm stuck again.
I just went and found my copy of the ps2 game and tried to try out these files in vgmstream and, as you observed, the appropriate extension is rstm. So you'll have to rename all of your *.rsm files to *.rstm for them to be processed properly. Below is an alternative to the former script, which will give the appropriate extension to the output files:

# Bully (original game) - PS2 - (*.RSTM)

open FDDE bin 0
open FDDE lst 1

idstring Hash
get FILES long

for i = 0 < FILES
   get FILEHASH long
   get OFFSET long
   get SIZE long
   getct NAME string 0x0D 1
   get TXT byte 1   # '\x0D'
   string NAME -= 4
   string NAME += .rstm

log NAME OFFSET SIZE
next i
I'm quite sure all should work fine for you now :]

nkttis
ultra-n00b

Post by nkttis » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:19 am

Yes, RENIKRILL it worked. Thanks so much once again for your help :) I was able to play the rstm files on Winamp, though the sample rate was too high. So I converted the rstms with the test.exe that came with the vgmstream plugin and the tracks managed to play perfectly. (FINALLY!) Many thanks to ALphaTwentyThree and Strobe too for their input. All i've got to do now is to figure out how to convert all my rstm files at one go. I've got thousands here! Does anyone here know how I could do that?