READ THE RULES: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xentax/ :)

WWise RIFF Vorbis format?

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
Anders Bergh
n00b

Re: WWise RIFF Vorbis format?

Post by Anders Bergh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:57 pm

hcs wrote:I finally got around to downloading EVE Online to test, it seems that it uses the same format as The Sabotuer, which I added support for yesterday. All convert with ww2ogg 0.8 using --full-setup.
Really nice, I just hope they don't change the format again.

Could you take a look at the .BNK files in EVE?

hcs
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by hcs » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:13 pm

Easiest thing to do right now is to just pull out the RIFF sections from the .bnk. The rest of the file (in some cases the whole file) is metadata that apparently isn't super-important. Don't think I'll go into actually parsing it just now.

sel
ultra-n00b

BNK container format

Post by sel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:58 am

The BNK container format has already been analyzed by some russian guys.

http://ipb.extractor.ru/index.php?showtopic=1976

I can't read russian, but the Google-translation is good enough. There is a description of the format as well as an extraction program called "bnkextr" which extracts one or multiple wav-files from the BNK-container. The program comes with Delphi/Pascal source, it should be easy to create a C-Version.

I want to thank Anders for the ww2ogg program, which - together with bnkextr - made me able to listen to the "Divinity 2: Ego Draconis" soundtracks.

Apollo
veteran

Post by Apollo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:23 pm

@hcs, what is with the inconsistancies between original file size and the resulting ogg since both hold vorbis data? (using ww2ogg08 and previous versions)

for example original vorbis wav was 1.21mb and resulting ogg comes out as 415kb, is there that much unrelevant junk data in wwise or potentially vorbis data dismissed?

just wondering as to my understanding wwise was trimmed down in stuff so ogg should be larger not smaller.

Savage
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Savage » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:50 pm

@apollo you right some ogg vorbis riffx have metada inside.
It' s possible to make a parser/spliter to separate the data from the audio and then a joiner?

hcs
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by hcs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:05 am

@apollo, you're right, the resulting .ogg should only be bigger than the original wwise file. There is only a little data that is thrown away, namely the seek table, and it shouldn't be nearly that big. You might want to check the original file for another RIFF or RIFX further down, there might be more than one file in there, and ww2ogg will only use the one at the start of the file. If that isn't the case, could you upload the file for me? My converter may be missing something and I'd like to figure out what it is.

@Savage, I don't understand what you're saying. Is there something large that I'm getting rid of?

Apollo
veteran

Post by Apollo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:51 am

@hcs, Well, looks like there is multiple riff vorbis files in same file after all, which i did not realise to check for when file began with riff header instead of any archive container stuff so my mistake. :oops:

any chance of adding a check routine to process file for additional files by looking additional riff headers? (if not default, add a command line command?) this seems be similar case on Watchmen where oggsrain did not always notice the multiple vorbis streams and just took the first one i believe.

hcs
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by hcs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:15 pm

It's possible. ww2ogg actually used to complain if the RIFF wasn't exactly equal to the total file size, now it allows for stuff at the end because it turned out that many files were padded. I could add fsbii-like functionality to look for more RIFFs, we'll see if I get the chance. If you can upload an example I'll be much more motivated :)

OrangeC
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by OrangeC » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Would be great if it can look into bnk archives also, just a suggestion? :D

geevious
advanced

Post by geevious » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:18 am

First off, forgive my ignorance or just having selective blindness. But with the all the tools I've gone through for these wwise sfx files have left me completely dumbfounded. I've gotten out the major batches of vocals but looking to get into some of the actual Foley's and such. So I've batched up a few, of what I think might be the sfx archive/compressed files that hold the audio. It reminds me of the rfmodsound from batman/bioshock... but through all the tools, nothing seems to work.

Also, sorry if this does not belong in this thread, thought it would make more sense to post in here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Apollo
veteran

Post by Apollo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Looks like extracted with gildor's tool from an upk anyhow I don't think these files contain any audio, just control files and what not for engine, hint, try looking for bigger files in the folder/subfolders.

geevious
advanced

Post by geevious » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:58 pm

That is in fact what I used for the .pcc's. I haven't found anything else of bigger size. But I'll go through them all today just in case. Thanks for takin a look at em.

Apollo
veteran

Post by Apollo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:56 am

NP, what you should be looking for is *.wwisebank files given pcc (me2 i believe), everything else is meaningless junk for you, once found such file, take hex editor and remove all start junk until RIFF and save as own wav and feed it to hcs's ima rejigger and also would help have xbox adpcm codec installed for playback.

Just additional note that wwisebanks can contain multiple riff files.

geevious
advanced

Post by geevious » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Apollo wrote:NP, what you should be looking for is *.wwisebank files given pcc (me2 i believe), everything else is meaningless junk for you, once found such file, take hex editor and remove all start junk until RIFF and save as own wav and feed it to hcs's ima rejigger and also would help have xbox adpcm codec installed for playback.

Just additional note that wwisebanks can contain multiple riff files.

Okay, ignorance again here. I know that these contain a few and I am sure I will get lost in that area as well, but right now, where would I cut the hex out at? I'm not familiar with code and can only assume to take you literally and cut it right at the 'R' for RIFF but, saving it, Changing it to .wav and using HCS tool does not convert/extract it... Any help?

Screenshot @ http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/ ... iffhex.jpg

Apollo
veteran

Post by Apollo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Well, i deleted the 764 bytes from the start (your example file pic) so file begins with RIFF and end the file before next RIFF mention, renamed extension to wav, run ima_rejigger file.wav and hex edit 69 to 11 for ima adpcm, used vlc player to playback or encode to other format.

hcs tool only edits the wav you feed it directly, it does not give you a pcm wav. Admittedly this isn't very convenient process to do with converting to other format as header remains somewhat incompatible for most media players/converters and hcs tool does not edit the header.

hcs tool won't do the fix to the file if it doesnt start by RIFF or file cuts out at end too soon before the defined header lenght.