Offtopic: Into Commodore 64 (6502) coding, pixeling or music?
Xentax is looking for new members for the C64 activities!
Just drop us a message at forum@xentax.com and join the Scene Team!

Forum rules: Click here

MGS:TTS Audio?

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

MGS:TTS Audio?

Post by Pepper » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:52 am

Does anyone know of a program(s) that can open the .spd sound banks, vox.dat sound container and the streams (which have no file extension) from Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for Gamecube? I got the sounds from the MGS1 PC version, but they were very horrible quality by my standards. (the game is from 1998 when 11025hz mono sound files were acceptable apparently) I saw another thread about this, but it was from 2006 and only had a few posts. I'm wondering if any progress has been made. I've ripped my iso out using my GC and PSO and then opened that using GC-tool so I have access to all the files, I just can't figure out what to do now. I've done a bit of searching, but can't find anything.

Strobe

Re: MGS:TTS Audio?

Post by Strobe » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:16 am

Need example files please! =o

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Here's the banks and streams: http://www.antiup.net/download.php?id=3 ... treams.zip

I'll have to find a better place to upload the larger Vox.dat if that is needed aswell.

The streams seem to be left and right channels seperated. I've tried a number of ways to import them into anything I could use (audacity raw, Eksbox, Psound, and others) But I doubted any of those would work and it didn't. I'm not very technically knowledged with any of this besides the aspect of using extractor and convetor software (which none seems to exist for gamecube).

Let me know if you need more of the files, I basically just put the smallest left and right stream pair along with a smaller than most spd bank actually now that I think of it there were also very small .spt files matching the banks, and in the streams there was a .sbas folder. Those could be helpful, I'll upload them to.

Oh wow, there's a .sbas with the banks too

The .sbas folders seem to contain a sync file of different sizes, so I'm including to one that was with the bank, and the one that was with the stream:
http://www.antiup.net/download.php?id=3 ... Extras.zip

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:23 pm

the MGS:TTS audio files can be played with WINAMP for some reason.
they dont have propper files names aside from number or anything but winamp can play them.
Try it out.
if im wrong then il also look into it as i played all the files a LONG time ago in winamp.
and i think perhaps all i might have needed is a gamecube audio plugin thats free anyways.
but i think i just played them without anything extra aside from winamp itself.
U might have to rename some files as SPD or other formats to make them work.
I dont have winamp install on vista and tbh im not even sure if it works on here....(vista seems to suck the fun out of so many things....).
"Lemons are people nice hardworking & honest people too..."

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:39 am

I think you must have had In cube installed, which I don't, I'm trying to get it to work, but it crashes my new winamp installation. and yes i tried just playing the files without in cube.

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:57 am

my bad, appearently the latest winamp versions crash with in_cube. I'm getting an older version and will update this post if it works.

it works with the streams when they are renamed .dsp, but the .spd banks don't work no matter what I do. I don't really need the music (streams-didnt know it was music) What I really need are the ingame sound effects. which are probably in the banks.

edit: got an extractor for the .spd files, I'll be fine as soon as I figure out where the hell it extracted them to.

Apparently it put them in my fonts folder. wtf.

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Pepper wrote:my bad, appearently the latest winamp versions crash with in_cube. I'm getting an older version and will update this post if it works.

it works with the streams when they are renamed .dsp, but the .spd banks don't work no matter what I do. I don't really need the music (streams-didnt know it was music) What I really need are the ingame sound effects. which are probably in the banks.

edit: got an extractor for the .spd files, I'll be fine as soon as I figure out where the hell it extracted them to.

Apparently it put them in my fonts folder. wtf.
Parhaps the SPD files are fonts...
As for the ingame SFX im not sure they might be in stream.
I no longer have the ISO sou i cant really remember the layout of the disk itself, i just know stage.DAT was what a few of us worked out but then i stopped.
Models would have been cool though....I like rex ^_^

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:30 pm

Nope, not fonts, Spd is the standard nintendo container for dsp audio files, the extractor just extracted them there for some strange reason

Yes. I had to get them out of my fonts folder (which is hard when your system automatically ignores displaying all other files in there) and they're amazing. thanks so much guys (and gals if there are any here).

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Pepper wrote:Nope, not fonts, Spd is the standard nintendo container for dsp audio files, the extractor just extracted them there for some strange reason

Yes. I had to get them out of my fonts folder (which is hard when your system automatically ignores displaying all other files in there) and they're amazing. thanks so much guys (and gals if there are any here).
What was in them?
I have all the INGAME MUSIC...which is kinda boring but i reall wanted the music from the Cutscenes themselves.
as in know there is music in those scenes because when he goes into the codec u can keep hearing the music even when u click on the button to shut the codec up
that doesnt make much sense but il explain better when ii think of a better what?

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:15 pm

It's basically all the ingame soundeffects, no music sorry.

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Sun May 04, 2008 12:08 pm

damn.
Thanks for replying though.
Eventhough i dont have the game on my PC anymore its always nice to have the info incase i need it.