Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Help converting .SAM+.PPS audio files

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
Habanero
n00b

Help converting .SAM+.PPS audio files

Post by Habanero » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:00 am

I have a folder full of sound effects with three filetypes in it from the Nintendo Gamecube game, Lost Kingdoms 2. SAM, which seems to be the audio file itself, PPS, which I guess is the script for the audio file, and a HJD file, which seems to be the directory and names of the sound effects. Can anyone help me convert/extract these? Searching has only brought up a couple other unanswered questions about the format (here and here). AudioKonverter's page says that it's a signed PCM raw audio file, but I don't know how reliable that is, and their program didn't work (and was horribly buggy).

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

https://mega.nz/#!F1pkDABT!jbe8JuMh78UX ... ZU9SQufHww

DKDave
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Help converting .SAM+.PPS audio files

Post by DKDave » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:29 pm

The audio is in Nintendo DSP format.

This script will extract the files from the .pps/.sam archives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Each person is born with their fate written into their own genetic code. It's unchangeable, immutable. But that's not all there is to life." - Dr. Naomi Hunter

Habanero
n00b

Post by Habanero » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:54 am

DKDave wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:29 pm
The audio is in Nintendo DSP format.

This script will extract the files from the .pps/.sam archives.
Thanks. What do I do with the *.vgmstream files though? VGMStream doesn't seem like it'll convert them.

http://puu.sh/F1kpm/02422e2ae2.png
https://puu.sh/F1kuv/82606007d2.png

I wonder why they used a different audio format here despite using DSP for all their other audio in the game.

Edit: It looks like I'm meant to put them into foobar2k and convert from there. Just for future reference, can I convert vgmstream files without having to drop in foobar?

DKDave
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by DKDave » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:53 am

Hi,

I did it that way because it was easier for me as I already had a script. I don't know if you can convert them without Foobar, but it's easy enough anyway.

If I had more time I would have created them with a proper DSP header :-)
"Each person is born with their fate written into their own genetic code. It's unchangeable, immutable. But that's not all there is to life." - Dr. Naomi Hunter

Habanero
n00b

Post by Habanero » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:13 pm

No problem, I was just wondering as I'm still learning this stuff myself (so I don't ask so many questions here!). Thanks for the help.