Offtopic: Into Commodore 64 (6502) coding, pixeling or music?
Xentax is looking for new members for the C64 activities!
Just drop us a message at forum@xentax.com and join the Scene Team!

Forum rules: Click here

Star Wars The Old Republic gr2 Noesis plugin alpha release

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Vindis
advanced

Star Wars The Old Republic gr2 Noesis plugin alpha release

Post by Vindis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:35 am

Hi folks,

My gr2 plugin for swtor seems to work, so i decided to release it's alpha version.

Things you should know:

-it's far from perfect
-only available to display meshes, no bones, no animation
-still got some issues with some dynamic mesh (those meshes have like 15 texture usage in hex o.O)
-the plugin search for textures in the same folder as the model in it, if there's missing texture the model will be white
-it displays mesh and collision mesh too, so if it looks weird try to turn off collision mesh in the data viewer
-it does the job (view meshes) so no further updates from me probably (thanks to the fact i sweat blood to make this basic thing work)
-feel free to update it or optimize as you wish (if you can understand my code :P) but at least please upload here it'll great help for me, or if you use it to other projects, like torhead please give me a small credit (i don't mean money, but, ehh english :/ )
(-i knew sith about python and noesis programming, so i learned it while i code, that's why it looks messy)

That's all i can remember early in the morning :)
Cheers

Ps.: And the Copyright blah-blah. Using the plugin to gain income is prohibited, all Star Wars character, assets and everything belongs to Lucasart, Bioware, EA, using them without permission is prohibited, etc (i'm not a lawyer :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vindis
advanced

Re: Star Wars The Old Republic gr2 Noesis plugin alpha relea

Post by Vindis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:38 am

oops, wrong section, should an admin move it to the correct topic.

Sorry my bad :[

Privateer
veteran

Post by Privateer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:49 pm

I'll take a look at your work Mate.

I don't think I'll be able to assist in fixing things however.
NDA agreements and such.

Who'd have imagined?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
Try to teach a man to fish and he'll gripe at you for not just giving him the Damn Fish!

dragbody
veteran

Post by dragbody » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:15 am

I found this game for sale at Gamestop for $14.99. Before I spend the money on it, can I ask about the quality of the models and textures? So many star wars games have low poly models with low res textures.

Vindis
advanced

Post by Vindis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:21 am

dragbody wrote:I found this game for sale at Gamestop for $14.99. Before I spend the money on it, can I ask about the quality of the models and textures? So many star wars games have low poly models with low res textures.
I don't say i understand why you ask it... If you want to buy it only for the models, then i say, you can download a trial for free, and look those models. If you want to play it, maybe you should wait until game goes f2p.

About the models, well this is an mmo, which means not too high polygon count, most detail are in the color/normal map.
(swtor uses the "green" normal map, so you can't import straigth to 3d application, you have to edit the channels, to represent correct height/light. You can google it ho to do it)

JakeGreen
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by JakeGreen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:04 am

awesome job, but is there an updated tool to open the .tor files to even get the models i tried easymyp v3.2 on the .tor files but it just gives me an error

Vindis
advanced

Post by Vindis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:36 pm

Just google "tormyp" and hopefully you can download from the first result. I can't give you direct link, since i don't know whos job is it.

SWTOR fan
veteran

Post by SWTOR fan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:33 pm

It's great to see that my specification has finally seen some use! Thank you for taking the time writing a plugin, Vindis. Just when I thought nobody cared about SWTOR anymore, you stepped in. I tested it on a few .gr2 files I had lying around and it worked perfectly. Great job! :)

I did get a few error messages for armor models, like boot_dancer01_bfa_light_ge_a21_shin.lod.gr2 (Error on line 156, list index out of range) but I have not yet figured out myself to get textures for models like these, so don't worry about that too much.
Privateer wrote:I'll take a look at your work Mate.

I don't think I'll be able to assist in fixing things however.
NDA agreements and such.

Who'd have imagined?
Am I correct in thinking what I am thinking? :eek: If yes, congrats on getting involved in that! (Or is it just for a datamining website?)
JakeGreen wrote:awesome job, but is there an updated tool to open the .tor files to even get the models i tried easymyp v3.2 on the .tor files but it just gives me an error
I have not changed my program to extract .tor archives for ages and it still works, so I'm not sure what the error could be. Are you sure that you supplied a valid filename list to go along with it?
Not sure if I have time to take a look at EasyMYP since I am no longer using that program.

Gregthegen
ultra-n00b

Post by Gregthegen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Must say, the tool worked like a charm! Yes there are still a few errors on some of the models, but overall it is wonderful progress!

Privateer
veteran

Post by Privateer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:02 pm

SWTOR fan wrote:Am I correct in thinking what I am thinking? :eek: If yes, congrats on getting involved in that! (Or is it just for a datamining website?)
Let's just say I have a contract with a new Game nearing an open Beta phase. Nothing to do with SWTOR.
The NDA could be a problem with reversing other formats and posting about them at this point in time due to what I'm working on.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
Try to teach a man to fish and he'll gripe at you for not just giving him the Damn Fish!

jangoclone
n00b

Post by jangoclone » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:19 am

Can anyone tell me where can I get EasyMYP 3.6? I have the 3.2 version and give me problems when I open the TOR files, it doesn't load the names of the HASH list, I hop someone can help me...

Vindis
advanced

Post by Vindis » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi,

i was here long time ago because i completely gave up swtor (oh my, what EA did with it :( ), but it's good to see that some of you found a good use of my tool.

Plus i have a great debt, and it's for you Swtor_fan: i'm sorry, i forgot to credit you in the first place, and i want to take up now.

So most of the thanks goes to Swtor_fan, who took the biggest part from the job, with his specification. Thank You :up:

Vindis
advanced

Post by Vindis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 pm

(I don't know if you read this thread Senor Casaroja :)) But I have a question for you. Is it possible to create dialogs in Noesis? I mean, if i don't want to write a standalone program to view the models, can i create pop-up window, where the user can select which material he/she want to load? Or can noesis open file on their own? I read the matfile name from the xml, open the mat file, and read the texture names from them.

I thought (i researched the file structure now and then, and starts to understand the whole thing now) i'll rewrite the whole code, parse the xml, read the mat and list the results it in a window. You just have to choose the mat and Noesis load it with the mesh (i still can't figure out where the "item names" are stored, maybe it's only server sided, and the client contains only IDs).

Vindis
advanced

Post by Vindis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:41 pm

I updated the plugin, nothing fancy, more like a "make it comfortable" changes.

The plugin now just simply skip the 12byte vertex section, this way the collision mesh didn't load, so you don't have to turn off every time in the data viewer. The other update just simly turn off the default material blending (some mesh looked transparent, and this was the solution)

There's still minor issues with the dynamic meshes, but that thing should require a standalone model viewer, which can parse the xml, and the mat files... :cry:

Ps.: yes, yes i resubbed to the game, and want to up-to-date with the changes (new armors, vehicles) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Acewell
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Acewell » Wed May 15, 2013 12:31 pm

SWTOR fan wrote:I did get a few error messages for armor models ... (Error on line 156, list index out of range ...
Most of the armor items will throw that error and will not load, but if you comment out line 156 you can bypass the error and view geometry and UVs.
jace.PNG
:D