Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

[PC] Sonic Heroes, Shadow The Hedgehog BSP,TXD

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
ShinKun
veteran

[PC] Sonic Heroes, Shadow The Hedgehog BSP,TXD

Post by ShinKun » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:25 am

Request: I'd request a script or import plugin to support Sonic Heroes' BSP format that would import into 3DS Max 2011 or later.
Format: BSP Version 11, TXD. I believe the GC and PS2 version uses the same format type of BSP, DFF, and ONE.
Game(s) Used In: Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and others. Link
Demo/Where to buy:
[Buy@Amazon US]
[Buy@Amazon EUR]
[Demo/Trial].

Inside the ONE files you find either a BSP or DFF. However, they will be in PRS format. You'll need to decompress them and rename the extension (it will come out as a bin file). The TXD for the stages seems to differ from the ones used in the DFF files. The stage models files can be found under the filename stgxx.one or sxx.one. "xx" is the stage's number. The textures are in the TXD folder. When you decompress them, you'll see a filename like:

STG05_AFN_05.BSP.PRS
Decompress that with PRS Decompressor and you'll get:
STG05_AFN_05.BIN

Simply rename the BIN extension to whatever the extension was in before the ".PRS".
"STG05_AFN_05.BSP"

You can down the Utilities to unpack the files here. You're looking for the PRS Decompressor, ONE Unpacker, and Sonic Heroes TXD Unpacker.

GameExtractor/ is used for Shadow The Hegdehog's .ONE file. When you extract the file ONE file, you'll get a filename with a BSP format, but it just a PRS file with the BSP, DFF, or TXD extension. Simply rename the extension to PRS, decompress then rename it back to the original file extension.

If you need more information, just ask.

ShinKun
veteran

Re: [PC] Sonic Heroes, Shadow The Hedgehog BSP,TXD

Post by ShinKun » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:29 am

I tried a program I found for Tony's Hawk Pro Shaker 3 that convert BSP to OBJ. THPS3 uses BSP version 11 as well as Sonic Heroes and Shadow. However, they don't work.

http://devilclanthps3.weebly.com/tools.html

huckleberrypie
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by huckleberrypie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:37 am

Aren't they Renderware files?

ShinKun
veteran

Post by ShinKun » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Yes, they are, but they're a different format than what Source Engine uses (BSP version 20-23) or other games that uses BSP. The DFF I have no problem with. Using RW Analyze, i can convert Sonic Heroes DFF (v3.5) to GTA3-SA's DFF format (v3.4) and then use Kam's scripts to import them into max. The only I really want is the stage geometry so I can try to port to Sonic Generations, same for some of Shadow The Hedgehog's level.

ultimaespio
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by ultimaespio » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:30 pm

ShinKun wrote:Yes, they are, but they're a different format than what Source Engine uses (BSP version 20-23) or other games that uses BSP. The DFF I have no problem with. Using RW Analyze, i can convert Sonic Heroes DFF (v3.5) to GTA3-SA's DFF format (v3.4) and then use Kam's scripts to import them into max. The only I really want is the stage geometry so I can try to port to Sonic Generations, same for some of Shadow The Hedgehog's level.
The only problem there is that you don't get any weight data, or any bone names.

ShinKun
veteran

Post by ShinKun » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Well, you do get the bones (as dummies) and vertex data, but no animation data or something like that. However, I'm more interested with importing the BSP, which contains the stage geometry. If I wanted the character models then, I can get them from Model Resource. Also, I got the TXD to read, I just opening the wrong file.

huckleberrypie
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by huckleberrypie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:27 pm

I think there might be something different with the BSP implementation in Renderware compared to Source (or any other id Tech derivative for that matter). Dunno if the RW SDK came with an importer of some sort for BSP data, but since the toolkit's an internal tool I won't be delving too much with that for legal reasons.

ShinKun
veteran

Post by ShinKun » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:59 pm

I've talked with someone who has it, they said it has an exporter, but not importer, and it's for Max4-5. They have a worldviewer when you can open the BSP files and use 3DXRipper, but you won't get the textures or vertex color. At least, I don't think so. I heard this really easy format, but no one has bothered with. Might be due to the Sonic heroes hate, I dunno.

DCxDemo
beginner

Post by DCxDemo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:53 pm

renderware bsp is easy format based on chunks. the problem is that any developer could add own chunks there, so default RW tools do not work with these files. same story with exporter. default bsps will doubtly work in games because of lack of specific chunks.

1st of all try to combine 'have normals' and 'have extrauv' checkboxes before you're sure my tool fails. if it does, i might try to modify it to work with sonic, i already tried dave mirra freestyle bmx and italian job which uses same bsp format and it involved some minor code fixes. i'd give it a shot, if you'd provide me an example of sonic bsp file.

edit: txd most probably can be read with one of gta tools.

ShinKun
veteran

Post by ShinKun » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:22 pm

DCxDemo wrote:renderware bsp is easy format based on chunks. the problem is that any developer could add own chunks there, so default RW tools do not work with these files. same story with exporter. default bsps will doubtly work in games because of lack of specific chunks.

1st of all try to combine 'have normals' and 'have extrauv' checkboxes before you're sure my tool fails. if it does, i might try to modify it to work with sonic, i already tried dave mirra freestyle bmx and italian job which uses same bsp format and it involved some minor code fixes. i'd give it a shot, if you'd provide me an example of sonic bsp file.

edit: txd most probably can be read with one of gta tools.
Download the trial in the first link. I PM'd.

It worked, but not all files worked. It seems bigger file size will crash, or any other BSP files will crash it.

DCxDemo
beginner

Post by DCxDemo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:53 pm

the problem was that the tool used fixed buffer size, so it didn't work when it exceeded. *thps3 bsp file contains lots of small objects, while sonic's bsp contain a single huge object* though there is problem with files too. FFFF0014 should be the last dword in each file. though there are few extra bytes, that makes my tool think that there are more chunks in the file. you'll have to remove those extra bytes manually. also textures are as .tga in mtl file. if you use different format, you'll have to change this as well.

*beta tool was here*

but the result is annoying if you ask me, other games have whole mesh in a single bsp.
Last edited by DCxDemo on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinKun
veteran

Post by ShinKun » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Have to remove them manually? So, would the extra bytes be after FFFF0014? I see "FF FF 00 14 All through out the file.

DCxDemo
beginner

Post by DCxDemo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:18 pm

remove 'em only after the last one you can find. 2-4 bytes usually.

ShinKun
veteran

Post by ShinKun » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Ah.

So, after this bit? I blank it out with 00s or just out right delete the section?
Both gave methods gave me that end of file error.=/