READ THE RULES: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xentax/ :)

Dark Souls FLV file

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
TehDave
advanced
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:24 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by TehDave » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 am

The error happens when I tried to run the program, which probably has something to do me fucking up compiling it since I've never used visual studio before.

Hopefully someone uses the work you did to make some sort of importer or something.

burrowingbob
ultra-n00b
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by burrowingbob » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Ok so for a noob like me who knows very little about programming, how do I extract the models and textures from the game? which tools do I use and how do I use them.

any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance :)

JohnHudeski
mega-veteran
mega-veteran
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:38 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by JohnHudeski » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 am

This game uses havoc animation. I hate to sound greedy but if there is a way to extract the animation file i think we can use the skyrim converter to extract the data into 3ds max

AceAngel
veteran
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:45 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by AceAngel » Fri May 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Heya guys, first of all, I would like to say thanks to everyone doing the research needed for this awesome, kudos to all of that and much appreciated!

I do have a couple of questions, I am using AlphaTwenty's BMS script for the PC/X360 version, and it keeps on returning me an error of "0 byte return of 4", and no matter what I try, it keeps the issue. Any solutions to that end?

I also tried complied version of Ricks tools, but they give me back .dcx files? Basically, a file ending in .BHND will become .BHND.dcx for some reason, ALL of them. To add to the issues, the files I get back are pretty...few. I don't see any TPF files other then maybe a couple of them, and they're not big enough to encompass ALL of the textures.

Also, I don't see any FLV/FLVER files, other then maybe a couple of them (a large part of them are bhnd, anim, etc).

So to that end, I have to ask, am I missing something? I was under the impression that you could extract the most basic of the mesh and texture for the models, AT LEAST the textures, but I can't seem to be able to no matter what.

Oh, also, I have the PC version of the game, could that be the issue? Although in my defense, all the tools I tried claimed to be PC version compatible.

I'm getting really frustrated, all I want to do is to retex a couple of armors with intricate details, dumping texture via DSFix hardly seems intuitive way to do that.

Cheers in advance!

Rick
Moderator
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:10 pm
Location: California
Been thanked: 84 times
Contact:

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by Rick » Sun May 12, 2013 9:53 pm

.dcx means the file is wrapped in a compression format. When you unpack a bhd5+bdt pair with my tools, you will get lots of files. If the extension (if it has a .dcx extension, look at the extension before that, such as "m10_00_00_00.luabnd.dcx": the extension is "luabnd") of an extracted file includes "bnd" (as in "bind"), this means that file needs to be unpacked with the Unbind tool.
http://blog.gib.me/

Don't ask me about localization tools; if you don't have the resources to develop them yourself you don't need them.

AceAngel
veteran
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:45 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by AceAngel » Mon May 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Ah, OK, got it. Didn't know how to use the unbind file before now.

Cheers!

EDIT: Can anyone confirm if the FLV Noesis plugin actually does spit out models with UV's?

TehDave
advanced
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:24 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by TehDave » Fri May 17, 2013 3:35 am

The newest (edited) version of the script does, still no rigging though and some models crash Noesis now (Seath being one of them)

You can find that here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?zielsq0268il1yu

AceAngel
veteran
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:45 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by AceAngel » Sat May 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Nice, nice, nice, nice! 8D

Cheers for the update!

nyxo
advanced
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 am
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by nyxo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:38 am

Hey guys, I've been lurking in the Dark Souls topics for some time now, working quietly on my own project, and just wanted to show you guys how far I've gotten, and start exchanging information with whomever else is working on this format.

First, a screenshot, then a description of what's in it:
Image

So I've written custom parsers for the following files to support what I have so far:
  • * .flver
    * .mtd
    * .dds
    * .tpf
    * .*bnd
    * .bdt/bhd
    * .bdt/bhd5
What this translates into is that it loads directly from the original archive files without any need to extract files or anything. Currently, this app is only for the PC version, but I have passive plans to extend support for other systems in the future; however this is very low on my priority list.

What you're seeing in the screenshot is the vertices/indices of the mesh, the diffuse, bump, and specular textures, the UVs, vertex colors, normals, and [bi]tangents. This also includes all LODs for the diffuse/bump/specular textures, as well as for the vertices/indices. Supporting that are 12 custom shaders that I wrote to render it all nicely. (I'd have used the compiled shaders that are in the Dark Souls archives since they're in a standard format, but the engine I'm using doesn't support directly putting compiled shaders into the render pipeline.)

I'm currently working on the bones so I can start posing the character, and then I'll be jumping into the animation system, which I suspect won't be too terrible to work with once I have the bones setup properly. Does anybody have any insight into the format of the bone information in the .flver file yet?

I'm planning to make another post in the not-too-distant future with some more technical details about the file format, for those interested.
~Nyxo~
||| Twitter ||| Youtube |||

burrowingbob
ultra-n00b
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by burrowingbob » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:22 pm

nyxo wrote:Hey guys, I've been lurking in the Dark Souls topics for some time now, working quietly on my own project, and just wanted to show you guys how far I've gotten, and start exchanging information with whomever else is working on this format.

First, a screenshot, then a description of what's in it:
Image

So I've written custom parsers for the following files to support what I have so far:
  • * .flver
    * .mtd
    * .dds
    * .tpf
    * .*bnd
    * .bdt/bhd
    * .bdt/bhd5
What this translates into is that it loads directly from the original archive files without any need to extract files or anything. Currently, this app is only for the PC version, but I have passive plans to extend support for other systems in the future; however this is very low on my priority list.

What you're seeing in the screenshot is the vertices/indices of the mesh, the diffuse, bump, and specular textures, the UVs, vertex colors, normals, and [bi]tangents. This also includes all LODs for the diffuse/bump/specular textures, as well as for the vertices/indices. Supporting that are 12 custom shaders that I wrote to render it all nicely. (I'd have used the compiled shaders that are in the Dark Souls archives since they're in a standard format, but the engine I'm using doesn't support directly putting compiled shaders into the render pipeline.)

I'm currently working on the bones so I can start posing the character, and then I'll be jumping into the animation system, which I suspect won't be too terrible to work with once I have the bones setup properly. Does anybody have any insight into the format of the bone information in the .flver file yet?

I'm planning to make another post in the not-too-distant future with some more technical details about the file format, for those interested.
fucking awesome dude! if you don't mind, can I use it? :) I'm particularly interested in the silver knight helmet. man I've been looking for this thing for MONTHS now and it looks like it's finally here!!!

nyxo
advanced
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 am
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by nyxo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:34 pm

The silver knight shown in the picture isn't my own creation, nor is it the in-game one converted to another format -- it's the original files from the game, being displayed in my application.

That said, there's nothing really to give you beyond what you probably have already.
~Nyxo~
||| Twitter ||| Youtube |||

burrowingbob
ultra-n00b
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by burrowingbob » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:43 pm

nyxo wrote:The silver knight shown in the picture isn't my own creation, nor is it the in-game one converted to another format -- it's the original files from the game, being displayed in my application.

That said, there's nothing really to give you beyond what you probably have already.

what do you mean what I have already? do you mean the files already linked in the comments here? well the thing is i don't know how to use most of those unfortunately :(

nyxo
advanced
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 am
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by nyxo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 pm

What I mean is that the silver knight shown in the screenshot is the file that came as part of Dark Souls. I haven't extracted it, or converted it, or anything- it's just the file that came with Dark Souls.
~Nyxo~
||| Twitter ||| Youtube |||

burrowingbob
ultra-n00b
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by burrowingbob » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:33 pm

nyxo wrote:What I mean is that the silver knight shown in the screenshot is the file that came as part of Dark Souls. I haven't extracted it, or converted it, or anything- it's just the file that came with Dark Souls.
I see.
are you working on a converter? if yes, on what term can I and other people expect this?

nyxo
advanced
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 am
Been thanked: 17 times
Contact:

Re: Dark Souls FLV file

Post by nyxo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Well, I'm working on a converter of sorts, however my official response to timeframe questions is "when it's ready". With programming in general, but even moreso with reverse engineering, it's quite difficult to even guess as to when something will be finished.

This application of mine still has a long ways to go before I would consider it worthy of release. But I digress- this thread is for talking about the file format, not my application.
~Nyxo~
||| Twitter ||| Youtube |||

Post Reply