Red Dead Redemption .rpf converter/extractor

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
lionking7
n00b

Re: Red Dead Redemption .rpf converter/extractor

Post by lionking7 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi revalation,you could got the maps files with the program modification that you make?

revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

[plugin] Red Dead Redemption

Post by revelation » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:43 pm

lUIGUIPIETRO
veteran

Post by lUIGUIPIETRO » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:25 am

Wowwww. I am testing the plugnig. Long time to unzip the file, I look forward to. Thank you very much revelation, you are my idol. One question: If you're Russian, that your site has a very Spanish name as "Señor Casaroja"?

edit:
I could extract all but I can not preview it. Noesis tells me: "This file cannot be prewied but can see exportable".I exported the file but can not find
revelation wrote:

because I can not see it? my pc is new and has windows 7. I have MV C++ 2005,2008,2010. I need any tool?

pixeldamage
beginner

Post by pixeldamage » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:54 pm

lUIGUIPIETRO wrote:Wowwww. I am testing the plugnig. Long time to unzip the file, I look forward to. Thank you very much revelation, you are my idol. One question: If you're Russian, that your site has a very Spanish name as "Señor Casaroja"?

edit:
I could extract all but I can not preview it. Noesis tells me: "This file cannot be prewied but can see exportable".I exported the file but can not find
revelation wrote:

because I can not see it? my pc is new and has windows 7. I have MV C++ 2005,2008,2010. I need any tool?
Sounds like you're making progress :) so to be clear what files did you extract? did you open the rpf?

lUIGUIPIETRO
veteran

Post by lUIGUIPIETRO » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Yes, you can extract rpf. viewtopic.php?p=61224#p61224
use this plugning with "Noesis" and you can extract the files. Its very slow becouse need unpacker 7 Gb

revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:45 am

I updated the Noesis thread to mention this. You do not need to choose the correct filter to be able to open a file type that is supported, simply choosing it from All Files has the same effect.

lUIGUIPIETRO
veteran

Post by lUIGUIPIETRO » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:44 am

revelation wrote:I updated the Noesis thread to mention this. You do not need to choose the correct filter to be able to open a file type that is supported, simply choosing it from All Files has the same effect.
but nonetheless, still unable to view the files. I can not even export

saitek1911
ultra-n00b

Post by saitek1911 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 am

People here will probably be so mad at me for giving life in a dead thread, but i'v gotten so far that i'v been able to open the rpf files, all i can see is models and dat files.
I just really want to extract all the music from the game, i'v seen some post a bit behind that somebody extracted a few lines from the game

can anyone give me any idea on how to extract the music from the game? this would be of super help to me! i'v been wanting the complete thing for YEARS!

Thanks ALOT!

saitek1911
ultra-n00b

Post by saitek1911 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:06 pm

bumb

pixeldamage
beginner

Post by pixeldamage » Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am

Would really like to see this revived. Some great work was done!

PS- Noesis "All files" never worked for me. I have to choose the specific type to see that file (eg Rsc0a). At work now but I remember in Noesis there is a way of live unpacking certain textures into multiple textures (bundled inside it) via a main menu dropbdown (you'll also see these if you export the texture). Note there is a tonne of duplicates most likely due to streaming requirements. Not all files work and models dont appear with their textures. I did export some terrain pieces into max but there's no vertex data or way of resetting up the original textures (for terrain). Didn't find any building textures.

lUIGUIPIETRO
veteran

Post by lUIGUIPIETRO » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:53 am

http://dfiles.eu/files/wvc2r7hxs
The post is old but to see if someone can take a look at these files.
I wonder if anyone is able to extract texture files human characters (or zombies) RDR. With NOESIS plugnin of REVELATION to be extracted many 3d models and textures but the textures of the game's characters are packed into these files (XFD).

ReeceMix
advanced

Post by ReeceMix » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Last edited by ReeceMix on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marked
ultra-n00b

Post by marked » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:58 pm

bump -> XFD files

pixeldamage
beginner

Post by pixeldamage » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Just been PM'd by someone here and it looks like there's some renewed interest. I'll give some feeback of my own experiences trying to do this a few years ago. When I last looked at this I managed to get some models (mainly props, some terrain, characters etc) and textures and sorted them into 50+ folders.

Tools:

Noesis with Revelations RAGE plugin is needed.
You need to decompress / export the data before Noesis can read it (God2Iso/w360 etc)
Files should have the extension: RSCOA (textures) rsc85 (models) rsc8A (terrain) - if you haven't got these you need to decompress further

Noesis(+Revelations) is a bugger to use. I found it's ability to open files really really temperamental and I think I had to manually point it to the file each time via File>Open. Browsing through the folder structure on the left sometimes worked. It tended to show either textures or models but I never saw a textured model in the viewer. I know Noesis is capable of this but the Revelations plugin didn't allow this (at least I couldn't get it to work)

90% of the models were duplicates. I spent many nights and hours going through god knows how many untextured low poly hat models. This is likely due to duplication of assets for efficient streaming.

Tip: If you go into the Noesis menus there's a Data Viewer for the selected asset. It allows you (most of the time) to see what other textures are packed in with the current asset. For instance you might find the AO or normal map as well. You'll find these anyway when you export (which is what led me to finding the Data Viewer - I'd suddenly find a bunch of other stuff I hadn't exported).

My laborious method:

1) search for all RSC0A etc files and copy them to a folder. Organize by biggest to smallest (click size tab in Explorer)
2) Right Click / Copy Path / Alt-Tab to Noesis / Open
3) Another hat!? Yay?... Repeat 1-3 Nay? Go to 4
4) Look at the Data viewer / Export
5) take it into 3dsmax and investigate it. (note models and textures stored separately. If you found a wolf texture and a wolf model then it's obvious what it's for but a lot of the time it isn't).
6) I'll have a look (wrote it down somewhere) but normal maps have the channels flipped and inverted (one of them). Likely R<>G and B- or similar.

Takeaways:

It's painful. This method allows you to export certain models but UV2 and vertex colors are missing. That means terrain is untextured and empty - like most processes like this you get individual assets and not scenes eg no bushes/shrubs/rocks/props. Since there's no UV2 the AO maps for whole towns can't be used and because buildings use tiling textures you'll have to go into the game and see what textures they used. Then you have to hope you can find those (it's literally easier looking for a needle in a haystack). To be honest it's easier to make your own versions of the assets (see my site).

It would've been so awesome to have been able to get some tools like those available for GTA but I've kinda given up hope on that one. Back to working on my own game :)

A bit of Inspiration for the new guys:

Probably the coolest thing I found was several assets for Coots Chapel which I put together in max:

reditec
n00b

Post by reditec » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:50 pm

I opened the RPFs with a tool called RPFTool. I dound the key in the .xex file.
But I sometimes have random file names (looking like hashes). How to fix that?