Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Cars 2 model exporting problems- please help

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
xpunkrockyugox
beginner

Re: Cars 2 model exporting problems- please help

Post by xpunkrockyugox » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:43 pm

Bigchillghost wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:11 am
You should upload some clearer images.
Ah, sorry, my bad! I just resized the screenshots so that they would fit within the Xentax site file limits. I'll go ahead and use an Imgur link for the full sized version :mrgreen:
https://imgur.com/a/WQ9yT5W
Hopefully this'll work better ^^ (also if I need to provide more screenshots, from this point forward I'll upload them this way instead of compressing them so they end up blurry and unclear)

Bigchillghost
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Bigchillghost » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:10 pm

Well, apparently you noticed the integral-multiple-of-3 trick, which I forgot to memtion. Another auxiliary criterion is to check if there're duplicate faces in the indices. For this ibuf, there's another face using the indices 0, 1, 2 at address 0x32EE, which is easy to spot. And once you knew the vertex count of the 2nd vertex block, it's not hard to find where the indices end.
xpunkrockyugox wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:33 pm
I'm getting a vertex overflow error message here using these values, and I plugged in all the appropriate numbers from the Yugo files
There's a vertex color data chunk after the normal block of the 1st submesh, meaning you can't always assume that the normals come right after the position block. Guess that's why you end up taking these addresses for the vertex attributes?

The "vertex overflow error message" means you're using wrong params, so you need to check if the vertex count and the addresses you filled in are correct, by measuring the actual amount of the vertex block, instead of using the calculated value from the digest message.

Anyway here is the answer to your "trial":

Preview of all submeshes:
bg_yugoAll.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May you find peace in this puzzle-solving game. Say it with action: click the Image when you get helped.:)

xpunkrockyugox
beginner

Post by xpunkrockyugox » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:53 pm

Bigchillghost wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:10 pm
There's a vertex color data chunk after the normal block of the 1st submesh, meaning you can't always assume that the normals come right after the position block. Guess that's why you end up taking these addresses for the vertex attributes?
Ah, gotcha. So does that mean I accidentally used a vertex color data block where I wrote that the normals were?
Bigchillghost wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:10 pm
The "vertex overflow error message" means you're using wrong params, so you need to check if the vertex count and the addresses you filled in are correct, by measuring the actual amount of the vertex block, instead of using the calculated value from the digest message.
Sorry if you've already said this before- but I don't recall if I ever learned how to measure the vertex block size. Again, I hope that's not a stupid question of me to ask :P
I will, of course, do the same thing for this I did for the Gremlin and sorta reverse-engineer the numbers to figure out where in the file they came from. Thank you so much for the screenshot dude :mrgreen: