Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

The Crew 1/2 map tool (Dunia engine)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
nWo51289
ultra-n00b

Re: The Crew 1/2 map tool (Dunia engine)

Post by nWo51289 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:54 pm

As mono24 said, if you want to get them into 3ds max follow his steps. Better than no 3ds Max support! Thank you.
Its usually diffuse map, but sometimes not. This will be fixed later.
Do you have a rough idea when the fix will be implemented?

Is there a way to import the terrain mesh with textures or is that all done in game via shaders?

daemon1
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by daemon1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:19 pm

nWo51289 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:54 pm
Do you have a rough idea when the fix will be implemented?
no
nWo51289 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:54 pm
Is there a way to import the terrain mesh with textures or is that all done in game via shaders?
there is no terrain mesh
there's data to generate terrain with something like a "foliage map" which tells where the terrain is grass, sand, stones and such.

CobraGamer
advanced

Post by CobraGamer » Sat May 04, 2019 9:07 pm

So the terrain is generated based on those "maps" when starting up the game, or how can I understand that?

eyewee
n00b

Post by eyewee » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:45 pm

Hey, thank you for this extractor! I'd like to know how do I automatically apply materials on the mesh?I've batch converted the ascii files into obj with noesis, but when I open them with 3ds max, materials are messed up. I've noticed the materials list generated once extraction from the game is done, how do I use it afterwards with my obj?

mono24
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mono24 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:49 am

eyewee wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:45 pm
I'd like to know how do I automatically apply materials on the mesh?
There is no automatic way as the tool doesn't do any of that, I'm afraid the tool isn't finalized as the exported map has a lot of imperfections with the terrain last time I checked months ago, terrain also has no proper UVs that would match its blend maps that unfortunately aren't even exported to be able to use with the textures.
The game has like some blend maps for terrain that each tell what texture uses, some are sand, rocks or for grass, etc. and then all gets nicely tileable on the whole terrain deepening on those blend maps based on area/region, not sure if I explained correctly though.
eyewee wrote:
I've batch converted the ascii files into obj with noesis, but when I open them with 3ds max, materials are messed up.
Also very important, I highly recommend to NOT batch convert the ascii to obj , as it also ruins scale and will not match roads anymore, it supposedly should apply textures, but it never worked for me even though you can clearly see textures names in the ascii file structure.
Might be the fact that the script skips them or something.
eyewee wrote:
I've noticed the materials list generated once extraction from the game is done, how do I use it afterwards with my obj?
Those text files are for you to open them up individually and hunt them down and import manually to each corresponding mesh, good luck with that, based on my estimates for the whole map if you work non stop you'd be done in about a year or maybe less? ;)

eyewee
n00b

Post by eyewee » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:46 pm

Hey thank you for your reply! Actually I wasn't really counting on the terrain itself, I can always texture it myself, but what was important is infrastructure and buildings, placed the right way and textured... So now I batch exported ascii into fbx and it seems ok to me when I get it open in 3ds max, even if no material is created at all. Doing the whole map btw is not realistic as nobody has time for that amout of work alone.
However, I think a script could do a good job of applying correct materials and textures in 3ds max, if only somebody could write one.
What about The Crew 1? I've tried using this tool with it but it keeps giving me errors, any idea?

mono24
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mono24 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:19 am

eyewee wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:46 pm
Actually I wasn't really counting on the terrain itself, I can always texture it myself, but what was important is infrastructure and buildings, placed the right way and textured... So now I batch exported ascii into fbx and it seems ok to me when I get it open in 3ds max, even if no material is created at all. Doing the whole map btw is not realistic as nobody has time for that amount of work alone.
You think texturing the buildings and other assets is complex? That means you haven't dealt with its terrain yet, good luck with that, the only thing that would make terrain easier than rest, is if you have original blend maps, with out it its pure pain, believe me, also imperfections of the terrain I meant by not being accurate to match entirely the roads and map assets.
eyewee wrote:
...if only somebody could write one.
Amen to that.
eyewee wrote:
What about The Crew 1? I've tried using this tool with it but it keeps giving me errors, any idea?
That is what I meant with my comment above, and also as daemon specified the tool is unfinished and only maps/terrain is supported in TC2, vehicles form both games, or TC1 nothing is supported from it, to be honest I too hope one day both games would be fully supported about everything they have, their both amazing in content and scale, a dream for modding assets, art and more.

eyewee
n00b

Post by eyewee » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:43 pm

Anyways, where's daemon1 ? Will he ever be updating the tool? At least to support TC1 map?

mono24
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mono24 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:04 am

eyewee wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:43 pm
Anyways, where's daemon1 ? Will he ever be updating the tool? At least to support TC1 map?
He's around as you can see in his comments on the forum, I'm sure if he has something to say about this particular tool he will ;)

daemon1
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by daemon1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:41 pm

eyewee wrote:
unfortunately i dont know if i will ever be updating the tool

eyewee
n00b

Post by eyewee » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:29 pm

daemon1 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:41 pm
eyewee wrote:
unfortunately i dont know if i will ever be updating the tool
This is sad news, I had some good ideas for TC1 parts of map in gta5... Well then would you like to share the source code ?