Star Ocean Anamnesis - how to extract resources?

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
seiyria
ultra-n00b

Star Ocean Anamnesis - how to extract resources?

Post by seiyria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:15 am

Hey! I'm new here and I've been browsing between here and zenhax, trying to cobble something together to extract all of the SOA assets. I have all of the files from SOA (the aif, asf, csf, etc files) and I have a handful of bms scripts, as well as SOADec and SOAImgEx. I should add, I'm not interested in the models, I'm just looking to extract all of the images (sprites, UI, portraits, etc).

What I've managed to do:

- run SOADec on some directories, which gives me some _unpack files.
- run SOAImgEx on those files to get some files labeled in the format texX - resXxresY - ETC2-RGBA.dat (ex: tex1 - 512x128 - ETC2RGBA.dat)
- I also ran a script that I found which was slzxor on the above files which gave me _dec.dat files.

I've tried at every step to run the other slz scripts but I never got any results from it. I am not sure how the bms tool works, I just was trying out the scripts. I'll attach what I have. I have to omit the x86 folder from SOAImgEx which has libzstd.dll in it but that should be easy to find on google.

I've also tried a tool called Exeinfo PE to try to rip the image data out but to no avail.

Thanks in advance! I hope I've gotten somewhere with this, or that it will help someone else out. Any help getting the images out of this would be appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

akderebur
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Star Ocean Anamnesis - how to extract resources?

Post by akderebur » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:32 am

Download the latest version of SOAImgEx : http://www.mediafire.com/file/6126nmb4w ... SOATex.rar Drag and drop the ".aif" file on it and it will give you a ".ktx" file, which you can open with PVRTexTool or Mali Texture Compression tool.

Btw you could have asked this question here : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18692 No need to open a new thread for it.

seiyria
ultra-n00b

Post by seiyria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Thank you! I wasn't sure what the policy on thread necros was so I figured I should play it safe and just make a new one with what I've tried. Also, thanks for the tips! Looks like this will finally work.

seiyria
ultra-n00b

Post by seiyria » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Hm. So, I've been able to extract pretty much everything I want. Now I want to write a script to do it all for me. My main problem, SOADec and SOAImgEx don't seem to have any CLI args that support input/output. If possible I would like to specify input/output and file names. Is this possible, or is it just something I'm going to have to work around?

akderebur
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by akderebur » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:03 pm

seiyria wrote:SOADec and SOAImgEx don't seem to have any CLI args that support input/output.
First argument is input for both. Like this :

>SOAImgEx test.aif
>SOADec foldername

There is no argument for specifying the output name.

seiyria
ultra-n00b

Post by seiyria » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Cool, thank you! I also noticed some files don't seem to work with SOADec. Is there an updated version of that as well? For example, this one isn't working, but the other ones are.

Sorry, I'm probably going to have more questions but I hope that's not too bothersome. Just trying to figure them out as I go. Thanks for your help, it's really helping me make good progress!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

akderebur
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by akderebur » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:43 pm

Works fine for me. Make sure you download the latest version of every tool from the thread I linked above.

seiyria
ultra-n00b

Post by seiyria » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:56 pm

Just wanted to say thanks. I finished and polished up my tool: https://github.com/seiyria/soanamnesis-extract

Really happy with the result and wouldn't've got there without the help, thanks so much!

akderebur
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by akderebur » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:10 pm

seiyria wrote:I finished and polished up my tool: https://github.com/seiyria/soanamnesis-extract
Nice guide and automation. I will include the link in my SOA thread. It should answer some of the questions people have been asking.