Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
JakeGreen
mega-veteran
mega-veteran
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:14 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by JakeGreen » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:20 am

I happen to go back into the Kinect Star Wars Models the other night and was wondering where all the ships are like the venator,malevolence providence and ect... so i went into this dreadful game and though okay lets see if these are cutscene only models or not since i never really played the game and i happen to see that nope they aren't, so i said maybe there is a porblem with the bms script not extracting them and nope that wasn't the problem.

So i went and extracted very single .pod and podlzx and a couple files happen to spit out .lvl files and so i opened it in a hex editor and happen to realize this can just be opened in notepad++ so what it does is display every model in said level this is one here is from j_adv_felucia_6.lvl.

I scrolled down and came across these, there are thousands of models in these formats that aren't in the normal dfm format they range from vehicles to ships,more characters and weapons.

Code: Select all

   models\\ships_flight\\SP_Consular.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_CR90.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_Delta_7b.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_Delta_7b_Blue.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_Delta_7b_Green.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_Delta_7b_Yellow.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_Lucrehulk.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_Missile_Conc.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_Munificent.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_Recusant.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_Subjugator.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\SP_Venator.smf
	models\\ships_flight\\turrets\\Launcher_A.smf
Here is a sample of some of models that are in this format.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/k73b0 ... flight.rar

This is my first thread i've ever made on this site and i hope this is proper and really hope it wont get over looked cause a lot of these ships and models look really amazing from looking at them ingame.

User avatar
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN
Posts: 3004
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am
Location: Nexus, searching for Jim Kirk
Has thanked: 780 times
Been thanked: 1554 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by shakotay2 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:12 pm

using hex2obj (view link in my sig):
SP_ARC170_UVssmf.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigchillghost, Reverse Engineering a Game Model: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
extracting simple models: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
Make_H2O-ForzaHor3-jm9.zip
"You quoted the whole thing, what a mess."

JakeGreen
mega-veteran
mega-veteran
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:14 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by JakeGreen » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:49 pm

shakotay2 wrote:using hex2obj (view link in my sig):
SP_ARC170_UVssmf.JPG
Alright so i was able to get the arc-170 working but some odd reason it has no wings and there isn't another file for that so i'm not sure if it's stored in there or not.

But i'm not very good with this program and those numbers don't work for the rest of the models. Is it just about guessing random numbers or is there away to go about getting them?

Edit: Where in the Hex editor did you look for those numbers cause i've been reading up on your tutorial on hex2obj?

User avatar
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN
Posts: 3004
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am
Location: Nexus, searching for Jim Kirk
Has thanked: 780 times
Been thanked: 1554 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by shakotay2 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:18 pm

JakeGreen wrote:Alright so i was able to get the arc-170 working but some odd reason it has no wings and there isn't another file for that so i'm not sure if it's stored in there or not.
Guess there's another submesh at 0xAEC0.
wings.JPG
But i'm not very good with this program and those numbers don't work for the rest of the models.
You don't expect every model having the same vertex and face indices count, do you?
Is it just about guessing random numbers or is there away to go about getting them?

Edit: Where in the Hex editor did you look for those numbers cause i've been reading up on your tutorial on hex2obj?
You need to get the end of the face index list. For the first submesh
it's 0xAEBB. So the face indices block lenght is 0xAEBC-0x9500 = 6588 dec. /2 = 3294 (face indices count)
(other than the 3275 from the pic but that was just a quick hack.)
div 2 because the face indices are WORDs (2 bytes).

From the tut you'll know that the vertex count is calculated automatically so you don't need to care for it other than entering its value into the corresponding edit box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigchillghost, Reverse Engineering a Game Model: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
extracting simple models: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
Make_H2O-ForzaHor3-jm9.zip
"You quoted the whole thing, what a mess."

JakeGreen
mega-veteran
mega-veteran
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:14 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by JakeGreen » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:51 am

shakotay2 wrote:
JakeGreen wrote:Alright so i was able to get the arc-170 working but some odd reason it has no wings and there isn't another file for that so i'm not sure if it's stored in there or not.
Guess there's another submesh at 0xAEC0.
wings.JPG
But i'm not very good with this program and those numbers don't work for the rest of the models.
You don't expect every model having the same vertex and face indices count, do you?
Is it just about guessing random numbers or is there away to go about getting them?

Edit: Where in the Hex editor did you look for those numbers cause i've been reading up on your tutorial on hex2obj?
You need to get the end of the face index list. For the first submesh
it's 0xAEBB. So the face indices block lenght is 0xAEBC-0x9500 = 6588 dec. /2 = 3294 (face indices count)
(other than the 3275 from the pic but that was just a quick hack.)
div 2 because the face indices are WORDs (2 bytes).

From the tut you'll know that the vertex count is calculated automatically so you don't need to care for it other than entering its value into the corresponding edit box.
So i pretty much got this down with using a calculator. but when it comes to the other models i don't know where to start in the hex editor on these models could you possible tell me where to start? Is the starting point the same for each model or does it change from model to model?

Sorry if i'm bugging you on it i'm just new to this.

User avatar
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN
Posts: 3004
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am
Location: Nexus, searching for Jim Kirk
Has thanked: 780 times
Been thanked: 1554 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by shakotay2 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:25 am

JakeGreen wrote:Is the starting point the same for each model or does it change from model to model?
It changes for this game.
As another example take SP_Delta_7b.smf.
Search for 00 00 00 01 00 02. There are 6 finds (so 6 submeshes to be expected).

First find at 0x1490. Scroll up through the previous vertex block for the first FFFFFFFF pattern.
It's at 0x1210. Subtract 0x20 to find the startaddress of the block (0x11F0).

edit: vertex and face counts (DW, DW, little endian!) easily to be found after fifteen FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 patterns
But don't confuse the FFFFFFFF from these patterns with the ones in the vertex blocks.
(and keep in mind that the face indices count is 3x face count)

For the 3rd submesh create a h2o file (textfile renamed to *.h2o)
and copy/paste these lines into it:
0x4E090 26994
Vb1
36 16
0x1830 8706
120100
0x0 255
Last edited by shakotay2 on Sun May 24, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigchillghost, Reverse Engineering a Game Model: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
extracting simple models: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
Make_H2O-ForzaHor3-jm9.zip
"You quoted the whole thing, what a mess."

CZW
veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 3:15 pm
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by CZW » Sun May 24, 2015 1:51 pm

some one can generate a noesis pluggin ?? for .smf file ...

sample + texture files:
http://www.filedropper.com/spscimitarsithinfiltrator

best regards

User avatar
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN
Posts: 3004
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am
Location: Nexus, searching for Jim Kirk
Has thanked: 780 times
Been thanked: 1554 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by shakotay2 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:44 pm

I would create a Make_H2O project of it if I had time...
(Sadly there are no users of this C-project with sources.)

Vertex and face counts (DW DW, little endian!) easily to be found after fifteen FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 patterns.
SP_Scimitar.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigchillghost, Reverse Engineering a Game Model: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
extracting simple models: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
Make_H2O-ForzaHor3-jm9.zip
"You quoted the whole thing, what a mess."

JakeGreen
mega-veteran
mega-veteran
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:14 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by JakeGreen » Sun May 24, 2015 7:03 pm

CZW wrote:some one can generate a noesis pluggin ?? for .smf file ...

sample + texture files:
http://www.filedropper.com/spscimitarsithinfiltrator

best regards
I would second a Noesis Plugin or whatever would make it easy to get the models out cause i know very little about hex editing so like i said in my first post there is a lot of great star wars models in this game that are in SMF

CZW
veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 3:15 pm
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by CZW » Sun May 24, 2015 10:25 pm

shakotay2 wrote:I would create a Make_H2O project of it if I had time...
(Sadly there are no users of this C-project with sources.)

Vertex and face counts (DW DW, little endian!) easily to be found after fifteen FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 patterns.
SP_Scimitar.JPG

thks ...
i have test the second part of this submeshes ...

Image

Image

thks alot ...

CZW
veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 3:15 pm
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by CZW » Mon May 25, 2015 12:34 am

second test

Image

JakeGreen
mega-veteran
mega-veteran
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:14 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by JakeGreen » Mon May 25, 2015 1:36 am

So i took a little time an was able to got back at it and was able to get a couple models out but why doesn't any of them have a UV like i can view it in the uv tab and it exports to testuv.obj but i'm not sure how to get the uv with the model itself.

User avatar
shakotay2
MEGAVETERAN
MEGAVETERAN
Posts: 3004
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 am
Location: Nexus, searching for Jim Kirk
Has thanked: 780 times
Been thanked: 1554 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by shakotay2 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:37 am

JakeGreen wrote: and it exports to testuv.obj but i'm not sure how to get the uv with the model itself.
did you try
File/ SaveAs mesh?
Bigchillghost, Reverse Engineering a Game Model: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17889
extracting simple models: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10894
Make_H2O-ForzaHor3-jm9.zip
"You quoted the whole thing, what a mess."

JakeGreen
mega-veteran
mega-veteran
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:14 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by JakeGreen » Mon May 25, 2015 7:12 am

shakotay2 wrote:
JakeGreen wrote: and it exports to testuv.obj but i'm not sure how to get the uv with the model itself.
did you try
File/ SaveAs mesh?
Ah i completely forgot about that thanks that worked.

CZW
veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 3:15 pm
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Kinect Star Wars .smf

Post by CZW » Mon May 25, 2015 8:44 am

thks shakotay2

the 0.24 , crash for me for a missing dll
but your 0.24_W8, work fine, past into the 0.22 directory

i can continue on big files

Post Reply