Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 (.MDN) [Maxscript]

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
The Chief
veteran

Re: [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 (.MDN) [Maxscript]

Post by The Chief » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks you very much for that men now that i have a little more time i can rip all the stuff from this game. :)

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Is there any way to batch convert with TextureFinder (or at least fix that it only exports to BMP whats actually in view, anything off view, not exporter) or the MGS tool?

The game has a lot of texture, and opening almost 40k textures one by one takes one hell of a long time.

I'm so pleased this stuff works so far though, its awesome.
"Lemons are people nice hardworking & honest people too..."

revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:02 am

For data extracted from dat files, all the information necessary to dump things to DDS is available within the TXN and DLD/DLZ files without using Texture Finder.

i have put together a simple console app to dump all the files in a directory. Should make it a little easier to do some batch conversion.

Assumes directory structure and file names as created by my mgsextract app. There may still be some forms of the files this does not support.

Quickly done with very little error checking, so be careful. Will make a more polished version later.

Hope it helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by revelation on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:37 am

Updated txn_dumper in previous post.

Here is a slot file extractor based on the mgsextractor release earlier. Works on a single file at a time currently.

Same caveats apply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:38 pm

This is awesome, though unfortunatly all the textures just look like this for me:

These are from the .slot files txn/dld etc but I had the same issue when trying it on the stage files.

Tried opening these using various software I own that opens .dds and it doesn't work, any ideas?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but outside of the end result, it doesn't look like I am.

revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Hmm, strange. can you send me one of your resulting dds files? Which files were you extracting?

i may have made a slight miscalculation in the DDS header that some tools are more strict about than what i was using to view them.

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:52 pm

revelation wrote:Hmm, strange. can you send me one of your resulting dds files? Which files were you extracting?

i may have made a slight miscalculation in the DDS header that some tools are more strict about than what i was using to view them.
Sure thing, I've picked out several, these are all from various slot files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/azf19y7homu8 ... iT49a?dl=0

The tools I'm using to view them are Fcheck (it comes with Maya) and Sage Thumbs (which is what makes the thumbnails, but will also allow me to convert).
Fcheck refuses to even open the files. I'm using the most uptodate version of Photoshop, so there appears to be no DDS plugin for it.

If you let me know what you were using I'll take a crack at viewing them with that.

revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Well i still have versions of the DirectX SDK installed, so DirectX Texture Tool works for me.

Will see if i can find some things to validate the files on my end for other viewers.

EDIT: Updated file in original post. Give it a try and see if it helps. Strange that so many other programs would be so unforgiving on the format.

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:22 pm

revelation wrote:Well i still have versions of the DirectX SDK installed, so DirectX Texture Tool works for me.

Will see if i can find some things to validate the files on my end for other viewers.

EDIT: Updated file in original post. Give it a try and see if it helps. Strange that so many other programs would be so unforgiving on the format.
Great the thumbnails show up correctly now thankyou.

Sage thumbs handles them fine, but Mayas fcheck still has issue with them (god damn fcheck, even has issues with some of the DDS files from Rayman honestly, few, but some).

If you're curious to checkout Fcheck, I can upload the .exe file for you. can't 100% say if you'll need other files or not though, as I don't entirely know what it uses, ie: DDL's etc, it just comes in the install base directory of Maya, along with the Maya exe files.

This is going really well. Doing all this just to replace textures in Twin Snakes with textures from MGS4. Now all I need is to figure out the model format from Twin snakes and replacing character textures will also be as easy as environments.

revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:04 am

Glad it helped. i can always try fcheck as well if you like.

Yeah, sorry on the model format front. i know i promised a release to you a long time ago and never got around to it. i will see about getting more information on the mesh, texture, and animation formats out. Need to clean up a few things and adjust for the endianess of TTS i believe. i will check again and let you know, but i am planning on working on MGS2 - 4 and TTS to complete the work i have done on them so far. i already have a start of the old plugin for noesis, just need to update and finish it (had not gotten to adding textures or animation support in that version yet).

Will see what i can do.

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:51 am

revelation wrote:Glad it helped. i can always try fcheck as well if you like.

Yeah, sorry on the model format front. i know i promised a release to you a long time ago and never got around to it. i will see about getting more information on the mesh, texture, and animation formats out. Need to clean up a few things and adjust for the endianess of TTS i believe. i will check again and let you know, but i am planning on working on MGS2 - 4 and TTS to complete the work i have done on them so far. i already have a start of the old plugin for noesis, just need to update and finish it (had not gotten to adding textures or animation support in that version yet).

Will see what i can do.
Don't worry about Fcheck, I don't think many people outside me use it, and the current method is fine.
Though what might be easier for many people is noesis support for txn and MDL files. I'm personally quite happy with things as they are now, its only a few steps and isn't really much time or effort to do. Though some people want everything through noesis, because its quicker I guess, so maybe adding noesis support for it might be cool.

I think you might possibly have me confused with someone else i regards to the TTS models, I don't remember ever requesting them, I would like them but I never put in a request if I remember correctly.

I've actually got the source code for an MGS1 (PC) model viewer, and DIR extractor, but I can't compile them without errors, I'm not a c++ coder, I know more C# and Java, so I can't work out most of that anyway. But if you want I can pass you over the source, its not mine, I found it online somewhere a while back, but if you're aiming for full MGS series support, it might help if you ever consider stuff for MGS1PC. I know Solidus converts the Twin Snakes textures, animations aren't all that useful for most people I think, just models and textures (especially stages, stages are always cool). If you end up needing and files you might not have, give me a shout and I'll try to see what I have laying about.

What you've done so far, and how quick it was. For me thats more than enough.

I've a bunch of model formats I've been trying to put into Noesis for a while now and just have no luck, so any breakthrough is a good day for me.

revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Heh,
Well it was more about MGS format information in general. i originally asked you about a few things back when Turfster's tools were still being discussed in one of the original MGS2 related threads. (Yeah, it has been that long).

Either way, it turns out i actually had an old version of Maya installed (about as old as the discussions just mentioned, heh) which has fcheck as well. Strange thing is that fcheck is actually passing on the format handling work to imgcvt.exe in most cases, which so far actually handled conversion of these dds files fine. But for whatever reason some of them do not make it back through the pipe opened by fcheck in order to display it. Not sure if it is the same issue in later versions of these tools within Maya.

I did do another update of the file above, but it only sets a particular bit in the dds header differently.

Do not know about "quick", as i have been sitting on some of this stuff (and other format work) for a while now. Guess it is about time i finally get around to cleaning it up, finishing and releasing some of it.

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:09 pm

revelation wrote:Heh,
Well it was more about MGS format information in general. i originally asked you about a few things back when Turfster's tools were still being discussed in one of the original MGS2 related threads. (Yeah, it has been that long).

Either way, it turns out i actually had an old version of Maya installed (about as old as the discussions just mentioned, heh) which has fcheck as well. Strange thing is that fcheck is actually passing on the format handling work to imgcvt.exe in most cases, which so far actually handled conversion of these dds files fine. But for whatever reason some of them do not make it back through the pipe opened by fcheck in order to display it. Not sure if it is the same issue in later versions of these tools within Maya.

I did do another update of the file above, but it only sets a particular bit in the dds header differently.

Do not know about "quick", as i have been sitting on some of this stuff (and other format work) for a while now. Guess it is about time i finally get around to cleaning it up, finishing and releasing some of it.
Could be the same, so far as I know fcheck itself hasn't ever really had any updates, so its always operated the same way.

Ah you mean back when Turfster was about, yeah that was 7 years ago now, no wonder I don't remember then.

I meant "Quick" as in for the end user, viewing a model with all its textures in noesis is quicker for the end user than extracting and converting stuff. Model wise right now its a gamble, just opening hundreds of .mdl files until you find the model you're after, takes longer to put together, but average Joe won't need more than noesis and the games files to get everything he wants.

If you ever discover you're sitting on FF9's World map format, share it. Thats a file I've been staring at forever.

GHzGangster
n00b

Post by GHzGangster » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:18 pm

Have you looked at stage collision data, or anything similar at all, revelation?
Jay and I have been looking into custom stages on MGS4/MGO2–we've been able to do some things like texture modification, object swapping, and .GEOM swapping.

The .GEOMs seem to contain the collision data among other things like spawn points and object coordinates.
I thought they were just composed of mainly verts, but I tried going through what I thought were the verts and looking at them in Blender, but they don't resemble the stage at all.

I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶M̶G̶S̶2̶ ̶(̶P̶C̶)̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶.̶G̶E̶O̶M̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶M̶G̶S̶4̶.̶

EDIT: I think I was looking at the scenerio.gcx files from both games, not the geoms.

revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:02 pm

i have not looked into the geom data as of yet. Mainly because i have not finished implementing everything related to mesh, texture, and animation data yet.

The gcx files are related to scripting. i have not looked into those much either. i'll see if i can find the method(s) that process geom data in MGS4 if i can. If you do happen to know of an equivalent format in MGS2, that would be even easier for me to find.