READ THE RULES: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xentax/ :)

Bio Hasard -Resident Evil 4

Old posts about game archives and other formats.
mambox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Bio Hasard -Resident Evil 4

Post by mambox » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:37 pm

just found this data extractor...could be found around but better find it here as well ;)

work fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OddbOd
ultra-n00b

Post by OddbOd » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi, I came across a request on another forum from someone who was looking to extract some of the sounds from Biohazard/Resident Evil 4 and noticed something that may be of interest to the folks here. While packing some of the sounds I accidentally dragged one of the dat files into notepad and noticed that the header started with GCAX which I have seen once before and remembered to be an obscure Japanese archive format. The GCAs (.dat files) are clearly not compressed because the total byte count of the extracted contents is smaller than the files themselves plus some of the contents includes long strings of NULLs.

The English version of GCA can be found at http://www.emit.jp/gca/gca_eng.html which will be useful for anyone that wishes to extract sound/texture/model files from RE4 but unlike the program above it can also create GCA archives potentially allowing you to mod the game. Of more interest to coders will be the SDK page which contains libraries, headers and sample code for this format, unfortunately the documentation is in Japanese but the sample application should be easy enough for an experienced C++ programmer to understand.

As a sidenote the sounds themselves are unremarkable in so far as they can be ripped from ogg.dat with any tool that handles OGG Vorbis files, I used Nova Extractor the first time around then reripped them with GCA to maintain the directory structure.

mambox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by mambox » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:36 pm

3d models structure seem poser morphing system..but i couldn't test as the only one found to import this format is a buy to use...

i dont have this game anymore,got it back to the friend who got it.