READ THE RULES: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xentax/ :)

Wing Commander 3 PSX version (*.LIB files)

Old posts about game archives and other formats.
AD
n00b

Wing Commander 3 PSX version (*.LIB files)

Post by AD » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:54 am

Hi there. I've been doing some digging into the PSX version of Wing Commander 3. It seems in this game all the files are stored in various *.LIB archives. The games movies are stored in MOVIES1.LIB (the number being the disk number) and so on. movies1.lib starts off by listing the files contained in the archive. It looks like this when viewed in a hex editor:

Code: Select all

00000000  e2 00 b8 35 1e 00 00 18 00 00 73 74 75 64 5f 6c  â.¸5......stud_l
00000010  6f 61 2e 77 76 65 00 00 00 00 d0 1e 47 07 00 50  oa.wve....Ã

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:10 am

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.

AD
n00b

Post by AD » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:52 pm

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:51 pm

Ok, that was an easy one, I think :

Code: Select all

ImpType Standard ;
Get FN Int 0 ;
For T = 1 To FN ;
SavePos FSO 0 ;
Get FS Long 0 ;
SavePos FOO 0 ;
Get FO Long 0 ;
GetDString FName 16 0 ;
Log FName FO FS FOO FSO ;
Next T ;
Try this file (Use Custom BMS on..) on a LIB file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Savage
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Savage » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:34 am

You can reconvert the movies to xvid with ffmpeg
http://www.ffmpeg.sf.net 8D

AD
n00b

Post by AD » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:12 am

First, I'm still waiting for my Multiex serial code, so I haven't tinkered with this yet.
pulposo wrote:You can reconvert the movies to xvid with ffmpeg
http://www.ffmpeg.sf.net 8D
Have you tried this out? Do you have the PSX game? Your link did not work for me.

I've had a nagging suspicion that the game might use the typical PSX video format, yet no other program has been successful in extracting the videos. Though if it is actually standard PSX video it would make sense that some of the plugins for ffmpeg might play them "out of the box" (so to speak).

AD
n00b

Post by AD » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:16 pm

Ok, Tried it out and seems to work great for extracting all the Files from the library files. Now to see if I can figure out how to read and convert wve, mve, and tai files :) .

Thanks again. Going to check, but this *should* also work on wc4 psx.

Also, regarding ffmpeg builds, Mplayer couldn't play the WVE files. They are not the same as the wve/divx split format.

Savage
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Savage » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:51 am

AD
n00b

Post by AD » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:43 pm

So I managed to convert all the games SEQ files into MIDIs playable in windows, but two of the files came up blank. I had managed before (using a different utility) to extract unnamed midis so I figured out which ones were missing to make a properly named set. I don't know if this is a glitch in the BMS file? Of course I still need to work on a solution to playing the WVEs and TAI files.

On another note, has anybody made any MultiEx scripts for exploring the PC wing commander TRE files? Or does anyone know whether the format is the same from game to game? If noone has done anything for MultiEX I provide samples from some of the games. (you might want to look into the work done by Mario Brito (HCl) as well: http://www.wcrevival.de/hcl/
I'm really not sure what you are pointing out here. I don't see anything there related to playing this specific file format. Plus, beyond trying the mplayer builds (which I've done) I am not really the kind of person that is up for compiling my own build. Other than some highschool pascal I have absolutely zero programming skills.

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:10 pm

AD wrote:So I managed to convert all the games SEQ files into MIDIs playable in windows, but two of the files came up blank. I had managed before (using a different utility) to extract unnamed midis so I figured out which ones were missing to make a properly named set. I don't know if this is a glitch in the BMS file?
I'm no sure what you mean. Are the names of the extracted files incorrect?

AD
n00b

Post by AD » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:01 am

Mr.Mouse wrote:I'm no sure what you mean. Are the names of the extracted files incorrect?
The files are all named correctly when extracted. It's quite possible it's a glitch with the se2 to midi converter I used. The resulting midis from only two of the conversions would not play. And the same two files were broken when I repeated the extraction and then conversion. I managed to extract unnamed midis ages ago with a different program but that program did not extract file names. But I was able to tell which ones were the broken files so I do have copies of all the midis which all have names now. I'd guess that its a problem with the conversion program.