READ THE RULES: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xentax/ :)

Capcom .EMI file format (from Breath Of Fire 4)

Old posts about game archives and other formats.
User avatar
Strobe
Moderator
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Sweden
Been thanked: 16 times
Contact:

......

Post by Strobe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:53 pm

im writing an Universal VAG detector. that should be able to detect any possible VAG files , even without headers, and it will recreate a VAG header if
data is found. however this is a very early test stage of this.
ill get back when its more finished. seems to work currently on the EMI files
atleast. *hmmms*

User avatar
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: ......

Post by lionheartuk » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:08 pm

Strobe wrote:im writing an Universal VAG detector. that should be able to detect any possible VAG files , even without headers, and it will recreate a VAG header if
data is found. however this is a very early test stage of this.
ill get back when its more finished. seems to work currently on the EMI files
atleast. *hmmms*
Cool thanks man.
Tho I personally have little interest in the games SOUND, some people may do.
It seems asthough 2 tools will be needed, 1 for 3D/Image data and another For Sound/Music Data.
I wonder......
Strobe are you more of a Music perosn or a Graphics person?
I have seen a good few Music/Sound related posts of yours.

User avatar
Strobe
Moderator
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Sweden
Been thanked: 16 times
Contact:

Hehehehe

Post by Strobe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:18 pm

Im very much more of a sound person :D
;) maybe because im a composer. This VAG stuff is something i thought
of doing since a long time ago, basically because there are so many different VAG formats out there, so now im tired of adding different rippers for them,
now it should instead dont give a damn if there is a header, and instead
detect the data and recreate the header on its own =D

I havent even looked at the graphics yet! HHhaHAhAhaha :D (or models)

EDIT: My detector is working so far! :D (tested on only 4 files yet though)
the only fault in the header so far im creating is the correct length of the VAG
data. but the vag player dont seem to care, it still plays the ripped vag data.

User avatar
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Hehehehe

Post by lionheartuk » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:40 pm

Strobe wrote: I havent even looked at the graphics yet! HHhaHAhAhaha :D (or models)
Well there not really MODELS as such, its a 2D type game, so It looks to me asthough the BATTLE models might just be 2D models.
see this example (just in case you havent played the game
Image
Not ot mention THIS Image
which for ONCE i havent put as my avatar, its my avatar in like 9999999 other forums (exageration btw), i think il make it mine here too.

User avatar
Strobe
Moderator
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Sweden
Been thanked: 16 times
Contact:

Weeehaaaa

Post by Strobe » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:02 pm

beta VAG detector and converter done!

http://jaedernaub.ath.cx/

download v1.9.0n to try it out. should work on EMI files aswell,
(have yet only tested it on 3 emi files, the ones ive found on this forum :X)

there is an "UVAG v1.0" button on the main screen, just next to "Hex View" button. simply select the file with Load window, and press "UVAG v1.0",
and it should work.....hopefully....

Maybe time to move on to the graphics :X

im using Awave Audio to replay VAG files, what are you guys using?
is there a plugin for WinAmp or something?

User avatar
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Weeehaaaa

Post by lionheartuk » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:26 pm

Strobe wrote:beta VAG detector and converter done!

http://jaedernaub.ath.cx/

download v1.9.0n to try it out. should work on EMI files aswell,
(have yet only tested it on 3 emi files, the ones ive found on this forum :X)

there is an "UVAG v1.0" button on the main screen, just next to "Hex View" button. simply select the file with Load window, and press "UVAG v1.0",
and it should work.....hopefully....

Maybe time to move on to the graphics :X

im using Awave Audio to replay VAG files, what are you guys using?
is there a plugin for WinAmp or something?
Us guys?
Eh?
Erm....
O no longer have WINAMP as i dont really like it, I jsut use Media Player or CLASSIC or even VLC to play most things.
Yeah move on to Graphics if you can.
Id liek that.
Tell me your MSN or something like that and il send you as many files as i can.
Damn all this work tryingt o figure out the EMI fiels and im fogetting all about the MGS3 .DAT files.
Damn am i ever even gonna get ANYTHING from them...
Oh well keep trying i say.

Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member
Posts: 689
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Post by Darkfox » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:05 am

Patience is a virtue lionheartuk ;). Much thanks on what you've done so far Strobe! Looking forward to what else you find. I don't think I ever said welcome back... :? well welcome back Strobe!

Also if you need anything more for this just say so. :)

LustD
beginner
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:21 pm

Post by LustD » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:15 pm

Any progress on this request?

User avatar
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Post by lionheartuk » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:52 pm

LustD wrote:Any progress on this request?
I looked into it as did Strobe but the GFX are compressed with some unknown format.
We currently are nto sure how to Unzip then/Uncompress

User avatar
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin
Posts: 4038
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:45 pm
Location: Dungeons of Doom
Has thanked: 412 times
Been thanked: 552 times
Contact:

Post by Mr.Mouse » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:27 pm

These EMI files contain sections padded to multiples of 0x800 bytes.

For instance, the BGM053 file has three section in the beginning of 0x800, 0x1000 and 0x800 in size. They are padded either with 0x2E or 0x5F. The other sections in there are also padded. It would be reasonable to assume that one can read the contents (all of it) of those files by loading chunks of data of 0x800 in size, check if the last bytes of the chunks are either repetitions of 0x2E or 0x5F, and if so, save them as separate files.

I'm also looking at the first sections, as they may actually be tables referring to contents of EMI files.

User avatar
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin
Posts: 4038
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:45 pm
Location: Dungeons of Doom
Has thanked: 412 times
Been thanked: 552 times
Contact:

Post by Mr.Mouse » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Update:

The first section, padded to 0x800 is indeed the file contents table. (MATH_TBL). It consists of entries of 16 bytes in length, terminated by 0x2E2E.

A preliminary format of the table is:

Code: Select all


// Header

uint32   Number of files/Data section
uint32   Unknown, in my files always 0x1
char(8) String, Identifier of the table: "MATH_TBL"

// For each entry in the table

uint32   Size of the file/section
uint32   Unknown number (often 0x4)
uint32   Could also be a 4 byte string, identifying the type of file (pBAV, or pQES etc )
uint16   Unknown number
uint16   End-of-entry marker (0x2E2E)

Take into account that each section is padded to multiples of 0x800, so if make sure you start reading the next section from a position that marks the next 0x800 block from the actual data end of the section.
;)

User avatar
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Post by lionheartuk » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:44 pm

Mr.Mouse wrote:Update:

The first section, padded to 0x800 is indeed the file contents table. (MATH_TBL). It consists of entries of 16 bytes in length, terminated by 0x2E2E.

A preliminary format of the table is:

Code: Select all


// Header

uint32   Number of files/Data section
uint32   Unknown, in my files always 0x1
char(8) String, Identifier of the table: "MATH_TBL"

// For each entry in the table

uint32   Size of the file/section
uint32   Unknown number (often 0x4)
uint32   Could also be a 4 byte string, identifying the type of file (pBAV, or pQES etc )
uint16   Unknown number
uint16   End-of-entry marker (0x2E2E)

Take into account that each section is padded to multiples of 0x800, so if make sure you start reading the next section from a position that marks the next 0x800 block from the actual data end of the section.
;)
Hmm interesting dude.
Maybe Il speak to strobe abotu adding this to his Ripper.
Then again What can we even find there?
Curently were looking for a way to get the IMAGE data out

User avatar
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin
Posts: 4038
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:45 pm
Location: Dungeons of Doom
Has thanked: 412 times
Been thanked: 552 times
Contact:

Post by Mr.Mouse » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:13 am

What can you find here??? You can extract ALL CONTENT of those files ! Thus including IMAGE data, AND, possibly import them back, altered!

User avatar
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Post by lionheartuk » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:36 am

Mr.Mouse wrote:What can you find here??? You can extract ALL CONTENT of those files ! Thus including IMAGE data, AND, possibly import them back, altered!
That sounds pretty cool actually dude.
Sorry i was a bit busy at the time and never got round to reading ur post propperly, just a SKIM was all.
But yes as i was saying, When me and Strobe looked at the files, He did find IMAGE data, But it appeared to be Compressed by soem Unknow compressor he said.
Btw what does "uint" mean cos u ahve many uint32 ect...

LustD
beginner
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:21 pm

Post by LustD » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:19 am

Seem this request have nice progress

Post Reply