Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

How to start in reverse engineering game archives?

Coders and would-be coders alike, this is the place to talk about programming.
blablaalb
ultra-n00b

How to start in reverse engineering game archives?

Post by blablaalb » Sun May 03, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi everyone. I tried to extract data from several game archives using QuickBMS scripts, but none of them worked. The last game I tried to extract data from was Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. I'm familiar with Unity3d, C# and Python, but know nothing about reverse engineering. What are some resource or books best suited for reverse engineering game archives? All the courses I looked up on Udemy are for reverse engineering trojans and programs. Is there a beginner friendly book that is focused on reverse engineering archives and not programs? Thank you :)

HijackTheRipper
n00b

Re: How to start in reverse engineering game archives?

Post by HijackTheRipper » Mon May 04, 2020 6:04 pm

In my experience is research a good starting point. Folks always expecting books for some reasons and I'm sure there are many books for everything but since we live in a digital age it's way more effecient gathering intel by crawling the wallhalla of our century for the informations.

Identify the file format to figure out how to get access the output of the decrypted containers.

Sometimes I'm sticking with Unity too but I'm working on it.

I also created a tool-chain that operates a large amount of resources by identfy, scanning for useful material, decode the archives and spit out the loot I was hunting for