Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Gas Guzzlers Combat Carnage (.fsb)

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Captain
Site Admin

Re: Gas Guzzlers Combat Carnage (.fsb)

Post by Captain » Wed May 23, 2012 9:02 pm

AlphaTwentyThree wrote:I really have to agree to Luigi.
PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT COULD EFFECTIVELY HAPPEN IF THE OLD RULES WOULD STILL APPLY!!!
We lose our source of income and xentax will eventually die. I'm sorry if it's somewhat inconvenient to have to ask for samples, but publicly peddling illegal goods is not logically necessary for what we are doing here.

Delacroix
advanced

Post by Delacroix » Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 pm

I may be garbage, a leecher. But it's people like Luigi and Alpha with their contributions that essentially made Xentax. Most users visit this place because of men like them -- I know I got lured here because of their expertise. If you're scaring'em off, you're killing Xentax just as effectively as lack of income would -- the only factor here that is different is the pace of it. If the old source of income fails you, simply find new ones - they're there if you wish to look.

AlphaTwentyThree
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by AlphaTwentyThree » Wed May 23, 2012 10:03 pm

@MrAdults
I don't get you at all.

- Reverse-engineering is as prohibited as sharing copyrighted files. This forum has been involved in illegal activities since the start. Everybody knows that and nobody from any developer or publisher has ever contacted the admin or am I wrong? And suddenly, out of the blue, parts of these activities are restricted. Where's the contingency? Prohibiting one illegal activity but allowing another one makes no sense whatsoever in my eyes. Even posting a script that extracts the contents on a GRAF is illegal! If you want to pursue this way of legality, you have to shut down the whole forum!

- Working together? Ok, let me just state the facts: when sample files were allowed, anyone could download them and take a look. Now everybody has to ask via PM for a link. It can't possibly be the case that the same number that downloaded files back then are now contacting users to ask for links. No... just no. It's simply not the case. How can one think that a major coplication in the reversing process will strengthen the community :?:

There is just no logic behind the new rules. So it can only be an emotional act of some admin for whatever personal reason. Prove me wrong.
Last edited by AlphaTwentyThree on Wed May 23, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you like what you see, why not click the little Thank You button? ;) It will definitely motivate me! :)
And here's Mr.Mouse's Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 8469022795 - thanks ;)

AlphaTwentyThree
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by AlphaTwentyThree » Wed May 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Craptain wrote:We lose our source of income
Need I quote more to stress my last assumption? To recap this: If XeNTaX is shut down, ADMINS WILL LOSE MONEY!
I'm just speechless. I'd consequently delete all my posts and never return here if I followed my instinct right now but I'll wait - because I really hope that I understood something wrong.
If you like what you see, why not click the little Thank You button? ;) It will definitely motivate me! :)
And here's Mr.Mouse's Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 8469022795 - thanks ;)

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse » Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Interesting discussion. It seems the inconvenience for you is more important than abiding to a few laws. My estimate is 80+ games are released on various platforms each month, with many of them having downloadable demos for anyone to download legally. I understand your troubles, but you do not see ours. Honestly, if you feel so bad about this all, and do not wish to come to a workable situation because it causes so much problems for you, then you must make your own decision.

Aluigi has earned a lot of respect, and he is a great guy. The early history of the board lies in 2003 however, when I set this up, with Craptain, and Watto. Where Watto and I would do all the analysing, posting scripts, program updates and such. That was the start and was the situation for some years. Many others came, including aluigi, with his great quickbms fork of mexscript, and his relentless talent. There is also no doubt about Alpha.

And then we have many more talented people here and each contributes to a fine community where no file needs to go unravelled. But we have to find the workable balance between what is in the grey area, and what is downright illegal. Again, I'm sorry aluigi drops the bomb on us. But what we will not be is a warez site. And what we will not pursue is pre-release file analysis. And we will stop a type of conduct that we once thought was possible or cool, but now seems to be causing more problems than it solves.

Like MrAdults said: we can do a lot more, than just prompting scripts for each sample uploaded. If that is not your game, and you cannot or simply will not understand where we are coming from, then that is a disappointment.

kamuline
n00b

Post by kamuline » Fri May 25, 2012 7:23 pm

OK, i have an idea.
Register at THIS forum, make a request and upoad your sample there. As i see its not forbidden.
Then post the link to the forum. So you dont share the files directly.

Coders register too, and dl the sample.

Ekey
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by Ekey » Fri May 25, 2012 11:16 pm

I think better idea - to register with on aluigi forum :)

aluigi
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by aluigi » Sat May 26, 2012 12:51 pm

I have closed my forum almost one year ago (reason: I was tired and uninterested in it)

Herdell
veteran

Post by Herdell » Sat May 26, 2012 10:47 pm

aluigi wrote:I have closed my forum almost one year ago (reason: I was tired and uninterested in it)
We better to find a new place then, cause here with those new rules isn't a good place to hack game formats anymore. :[