The rules have been updated, read them now: Rules!

Star Wars - The Old Republic - Beta

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
swtorastic88
ultra-n00b

Re: Star Wars - The Old Republic - Beta

Post by swtorastic88 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm just starting on this, and have no experience, so it's been interesting, lol. It was a struggle, but I have managed to get the meshes and textures from the assets. Now I just have to figure out how to get and apply those textures (i am guessing GIMP since i refuse to pay for photoshop sub and looks like dds doesn't work with photoshop 5.5).

Oh! one question I do have... if we don't use dds file format for textures, what is a "common" format to use?

After that, I guess it's time to learn how to rig in blender.

Anyway, I wanted to post a thanks to those who create the programs that help extract things, and to the explanations people provide. Thanks.

ZeroGravitas
veteran

Post by ZeroGravitas » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:12 pm

I'd encourage you to join the Discord server where most of the people active in this forum chat and exchange information. We can lend you a hand there :) .

https://discord.gg/Rap3KjXm

Regarding the texture files: Blender directly accepts those .dds files, and all the image channels' shenanigans (like turning "green" normal maps into "blue" conventional ones, or isolating the opacity channel) can be solved directly there, without needing to go through a paint app. If you want to go further and, say, repaint them, you could convert them to .png which is a fairly typical format for these things (most formats would do, really: tga, jpg… It mostly depends on whether you need to preserve the alpha channel or not). There are free batch-converters around, such as Noesis, XnConvert, etc.

DarthAtroxa's .gr2 importer addon for Blender provides with a replica of SWTOR's materials system, so that you just plug the texture files and some values into them and they give you results faithful to the game. Those aside, I built a kind of approximation to them that might be a bit more artist-friendly. There's people creating better tools that one day might automate most of this stuff.

And regarding rigging, you might be able to skip its rigors, actually :) . DarthAtroxa's addon is able to import the game's armatures and the objects' matching vertex groups, so it's just a matter of parenting the objects to the armatures with the deformations option and you can immediately start posing them! It's not as fully featured and user-friendly a system as Blender's own tools can provide (no drivers or IK… although one could add them to it), but it is what the game uses, including weight map-driven limb deformations and everything.

seedhartha
ultra-n00b

Post by seedhartha » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 am

Hi!

I've decided to share with you the progress I'm making on reverse-engineering JBA animations:

https://github.com/seedhartha/reone/wiki/SWTOR-Research

I think the file layout is pretty accurate, but we still have to figure out the exact format and ordering of keyframes. If someone here could give direction, I would be very grateful.

ZeroGravitas
veteran

Post by ZeroGravitas » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:16 pm

seedhartha wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 am
Hi!

I've decided to share with you the progress I'm making on reverse-engineering JBA animations:

https://github.com/seedhartha/reone/wiki/SWTOR-Research

I think the file layout is pretty accurate, but we still have to figure out the exact format and ordering of keyframes. If someone here could give direction, I would be very grateful.
Thank you! Would you be interested in joining the SWTOR Extraction/Modding/Datamining Discord server? It's where most of the activity of this thread is being carried on, nowadays, and there are several fellow coders there that for sure would like to study your analysis and maybe lend a hand.

The link is: https://discord.gg/Rap3KjXm

seedhartha
ultra-n00b

Post by seedhartha » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:52 pm

ZeroGravitas wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:16 pm
Thank you! Would you be interested in joining the SWTOR Extraction/Modding/Datamining Discord server? It's where most of the activity of this thread is being carried on, nowadays, and there are several fellow coders there that for sure would like to study your analysis and maybe lend a hand.

The link is: https://discord.gg/Rap3KjXm
Gladly! Your link has expired, though.

ZeroGravitas
veteran

Post by ZeroGravitas » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:05 pm

Aw, sorry. Try this one: https://discord.gg/XfHFjSN

RealymanLP
advanced

Post by RealymanLP » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:55 am

German SWTOR YouTuber
Discord: RealygirlLP#7726 SWTOR referral link

ZeroGravitas
veteran

Post by ZeroGravitas » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:19 pm

For any visitor finding this thread and being interested in extracting and assembling their SWTOR player characters, this is the state of play regarding SWTOR's assets extraction and assembling :) :
  • There is an online tool, TORCommunity.com's Character Designer, that simulates both SWTOR's Character Creator screen and the Outfit Designer panel, allowing us to build player characters with their gear. This tool exports a .zip file containing an empty folder hierarchy and files describing (but not including) all the assets needed to replicate the character: meshes, textures, related .xml files, and materials' properties values.
  • Also, there is a SWTOR Granny2 import/export add-on for Blender, the popular open source 3D app, that is able to import SWTOR's .gr2 mesh and armature files. On import, it adds replicas of SWTOR materials as templates, so that one can use SWTOR's texture files without needing to modify them in a paint program first. As it preserves the imported meshes and armatures' vertex groups and weights, rigging and posing the characters and armor is EXTREMELY easy.
  • There is also an Unreal Engine counterpart to some of the Blender add-on's features.
(It should be pointed out that both the UE version and the online Character Designer's viewer are in a far more advanced stage than the Blender add-on regarding SWTOR's features such as scar maps, rim and gradient lighting, etc. Those will be ported to Blender in the near future)

So, while in the past doing this stuff used to require playing with a multitude of tools and a lot of manually traversing .xml files and gathering of assets, now it is reduced to:
  • Using EasyMYP and a current hash file to extract all the assets from the game's .tor files related to characters, armor gear, and animation (to get the armature files) to keep them at hand.
  • Using TORCommunity.com's Character Designer to simulate a character with their armor and export their data.
  • Using the Python script on that data to gather the EasyMYP-extracted assets specific to that character.
  • Using Blender with the importer add-on to import and texture the assets.
As for other types of items (weapons, environments, architecture, creatures, etc.), those still require the old workflow and tools to locate them and their associated materials data. We are (slowly) filling this Wiki with explanations.

There are obvious paths to further progress: the Blender add-on's material templates have to be upgraded to reflect the progress done in the online Character Designer and their Unreal Engine counterparts; ideally, it ought to be able to do the work of the Python script and beyond, automatically assembling and texturing the character out of the .zip file; there's talk of trying to apply animation files, read location information to replicate the environments… In general, there's a nice momentum.