Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - any luck?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:36 pm

Turfster wrote:[Well, the current models are all *static*, so they're not *supposed* to be animated, but you can grab a shareware copy of milkshape and my plugin, load the model you want and export to whatever format you're interested in. The plugin loads the models the way they're stored.
Oh i c, il try it then, i guess i'll have to Download milksape shareware then.
Turfster wrote: Probably one of the non-statics (I'm guessing the evx files), which I haven't looked at yet, so you'll have to wait.
Oh so THATS what the EVX files are for, Ohhh that makes sense now, I'll look into a few of them with the HEX VIEWER and se what I can tell you.
Tho tbh is doesnt make any sense if the EVX files contain MODELS "WITH"animations, It would make more sense if the EVX files contained the BONES/VERTEX animation coordinates(ie tell the LEG how much to bend ect,il see if i can find a program that opens the EVX files for you.

Oh i c now lol, THo itl stick suck a bit if the game speach is still in ENGLISH, UNLESS its NOT for that version.
I wonder... I know japanese has its own Voices, But im not sure about anywhere else, I tihnk its only the subs.
Am i right?

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:34 pm

Sorry dude.
I cant find anything within any of the other MGS2 files.
The EVX files are a complete mystrey to me, they just seem to contain the Alphabet at least 100 times lol, just loads of ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ one after the other, not even gaps).
I downloaded Milkshape 3D but it just ses the version has already expired, I cant even IMPORT any KMY files at all, only ofical ones such as OBJ.
I cant export anything either, KInda sucks, Is there anyway to get around this?
I dont wanna have to pay or anything.
I dont mean like Pirateing the Software or anything, Just some way to make saving avaliable again without Registering or Paying.
If you could make a plugin for 3D Studio MAX or XSI then thatd be great (3D MAX preferably as im still not good with XSI yet).
thanks

Turfster
veteran

Post by Turfster » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:25 pm

New build up, now has 2 object exporting options, either the old way (concatenate by texture) or the way the milkshape plugin loads the model (stick to submesh definitions).

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:25 pm

Wow cool dude.
So i dont have to LOAD it into Milksphape then.
I can just EXPORT it the way it was made and it'l be in whatever format, ie: OBJ

Yeah sorry i couldnt find anything on the EVX files man.
I looked at a few and nothing.
Have you gotten any more news on anything OTHER then exporting>
Ie: Replacing Models, Animations for Models, Music.
I dont expect music lol.

evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by evin » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi all.

lionheartuk
If you need a registered Milkshape, download the official Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault MDK (v1.1), install it (need .NET Framwork 1.1), and you have a registered Milkshape 1.7.1.

Turfster
I found a bug.
If I replace the first file in the qar (cache.qar->2Dtex), the new qar file is bigger, as the source qar. (2Dtex== new 2Dtex)
If the replaced file is not the first, no problem.

Solidus Xp mainfest Extract to the Solidus.exe folder.

Oh, and anybody know, where is the Life bar textures?

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:56 pm

Weve all found this.
But its NOT a bug.
The game still READS the file in the SAME way.
Of course if you are to replace textures with HIGHER RES trxtures like we are doing then it WILL get bigger.
Alos WHAT exactly does you atachment do?

evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by evin » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:23 pm

lionheartuk wrote:Weve all found this.
But its NOT a bug.
The game still READS the file in the SAME way.
Of course if you are to replace textures with HIGHER RES trxtures like we are doing then it WILL get bigger.
Alos WHAT exactly does you atachment do?
If I extract the first file from the cache.qar, and replace the extracted file(no editing) with the qar first file, the qar file size is bigger. And just then.
I'm not create high res textures.

Sorry, if this is not clear, but my english is weak.

This is just an external XP manifest for XP style support.
Picture: After | Befor

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:08 pm

OH so THATS what it does.
I want to sure lol.
I have XP and iot looks FINE on it.
OF course it doesnt really matter whether or not its XP style boxes, wel TO ME at least.
So u made that DLL yourself.
If u can do that then MAYBE u know how to HACK the MGS2 files aswell?
Any ideas on anything anyone has asked that hasnt ALREADY been done by Turfster.

gundammg
ultra-n00b

Post by gundammg » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:05 am

Hello People, This is my first post ever on a forum and I just wanna say this has to be the BEST forum topic to ever be formed! This is exactly what i've been searching for since I played MGS! Really is a dream come true! Thank you, Thank you so much!

Now all the introductions are out of the way...

Turfster:

I've got a couple of ideas to make Solidus easier to use, could you add a heading to the lists that are extracted from the DAR and QARs to show the size of each file, like in explorer when you do view by details, and gives you options to view by size, name type etc. That would be much appreciated and would make it a whole lot easier to find the files.

Is it also possible to extract the files and make the tga /dds and obj files in one go, rather having to extract them and choose them again to extract?

I'm sorry if this sounds like i'm demanding a lot, its just to improve the searching speed to find the files quicker.

Lionheartuk:

Excellent document on getting started with 'Solidus'. Could you list some of the folders where you found the main character and vehicle meshes and textures, that would be great!

TheDyingInformant:

I'm a crazy graphics artist, who's also a MGS freak, and I was looking to create a few hi-res textures for mgs. Wanna start something? I'm pretty good with characters and environments ( well, so I hope...). I'll post some of my work if I can. This would be excellent for my portfolio and also us MGS fans. Let me know what you think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:04 pm

guy:

Excellent document on getting started with 'Solidus'. Could you list some of the folders where you found the main character and vehicle meshes and textures, that would be great!
Yeah sure.
Well ALMOST ALL of the models and textures are in EVERY folder for soem insane reason lol.
BUT if you can tell me WHAT files/models/Textures that you are after il see what I can do.
No doubt you'l ask for Snake adn Raiden, Im still TRYING to find the NINJA's Model and Textures.

So far i have found the following Models and Textures:
Snake
MG1Snake
Tuxedo Snake
Raiden
Raiden Diving swim suit
Raiden Naked.
Raiden With Wigs
Solidus
Fortune
Vamp
Submerine
Fat Man
Olga
Colonel
Otacon
Rose
Emma
Rats.
Metal gear Ray from tanker(Experimental) and Mass Production
ALL Soldiers.
HH60
F19 (I THINK its an F19 i cant remember)
ALL Hostages
Navy Seals.
Tanker residents (Dead of course)

There are a LOT more I have found, but I dont have the time to list them ALL right now.
Sorry.
Tell me what models u want and il tell you where they are.

gundammg
ultra-n00b

Post by gundammg » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:29 pm

Thanks lionheartuk,

Yeah i'd like the models and textures for the following please:

Snake
Raiden
solidus
vamp
Metal Gear Ray Tanker
All soldiers, (apologies if this is a long list)
all the MGS 1 models, does it have Liquid Snake?

any interesting levels you have found. Sorry this vague.

BTW I have 3D Max and I import the models into MAX but then I have to apply each texture individually, using the dropper tool and then going into the diffuse maps and then choosing the texture. Is there a quicker way to apply the textures to the models on import?

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:15 pm

Snake = ALL the Tanker scenes(fiels with D in them, NOT the ones with P)
Raiden = MOST files but the D03p type ones are the plant demo data so he is in them.
Solidus = hmmm... TRY the FINAL folders with d__p in them
Vamp = d055po1 (Yeah Raiden and a SEAL are here too)
Guards = MOST folders to be honest (names like TNG and stuff NOT named GUARD1)
Ray Tanker = the FINAL tanker cutscenes(look at my guide)
MGS1 models? there only SNAKE and Ocellot(why wud there be any others, LIQUID isnt even in the game AT ALL except in 3 images that are flashbacks)
any interesting levels you have found. Sorry this vague.
Well HOLD 3 was a nice one, i STILL have it in MAX noq but NOT the textures, Arsenals belly was a ncie one too, MOST are OK, i prefer the TANKER ones tho.
Is there a quicker way to apply the textures to the models on import?
lol, this annoyed ME too, just open the OBJ files in MAX, THEN jsut RENDER the image, then the textures will appear (or itl tell u there not there), they DONT appear in PERSPECTIVE view, ONLY when u render them.
3DS MAX DOESNT support external files correctly so there only there when rendered, but u can ANIMATE and everything and its all fine.
I hope that helps.
Read through my guide again to check wat files hold WHAT ect...

gundammg
ultra-n00b

Post by gundammg » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:46 pm

Much appreciated Lionheartuk!

one question, is it possible to extract the lights for the scene aswell? or is this still work in progress with the animation files?

MGS has still got top notch GFX even though its an early PS2 game!

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:48 pm

U mean the SCENE LIGHTING?
If so the NO sorry, Why would you want this anyways?
Oh yeah if you SOMEHOW run across the Ninja textures or Model, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE U GOT IT.
I been loking AGES.
Actually MGS graphics ARNT that FANTASTIC, it RARELY uses REAL shadows, MANY of the shadows are just DARKENED areas of a texture.
I thought this game had FANTASTIC graphics but overall its pretty standard if you ask me.
Then agian ALL games would look bad if they never had FANTASTIC textures i guess.

evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by evin » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:01 pm

lionheartuk wrote:OH so THATS what it does.
I want to sure lol.
I have XP and iot looks FINE on it.
OF course it doesnt really matter whether or not its XP style boxes, wel TO ME at least.
So u made that DLL yourself.
If u can do that then MAYBE u know how to HACK the MGS2 files aswell?
Any ideas on anything anyone has asked that hasnt ALREADY been done by Turfster.
I know this manifest is nothing, but somebody need it. Maybe...

I just few thing know:
The xti files is dds file, just the header different. (not the content)
And I translate the game to other language, and I know the non english case.