Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Divine Divinity 2 ".DV2" file.

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
jbeckman
advanced

Divine Divinity 2 ".DV2" file.

Post by jbeckman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:05 pm

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.

Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Re: Divine Divinity 2 ".DV2" file.

Post by Darkfox » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:50 pm

I look at it, and it starts off by giving a nametable, and then what seems to be another table after that.

So far from what I can make out is that the files are compressed/encrypted (zlib? LZ?)

Itze
veteran

Post by Itze » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:25 am

Seems to be easy... filenametable followed directly by the zlibbed data, offzip works but i don't know if the filetable is in correct order... hard to say with only one archive :roll:

i think chrrox will write a qbms script in a minute :P

jbeckman
advanced

Post by jbeckman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:16 am

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
Last edited by jbeckman on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Itze
veteran

Post by Itze » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:56 am

It is zlib compressed, wait for chrrox quickbms script... if you keep the folder structure intact the game SHOULD load modified files :)

NIF's are Models :)

Vash
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Vash » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:31 pm

i took a look at patch's files and at a closer look they're not so simple as it seems.
First of all, not all files are compressed and the pointer table is not very ordered (it's not a real POINTER table, it's a FILELENGTH table, we just have the offset of the first zlibbed file) and it seems that in the archives there's more shit after the files. It needs a a longer study

Itze
veteran

Post by Itze » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:59 am

ah damn...

i just took a quick peek and thought... LOL easy :oops:

gonna check it out some more when im back from work :vomit:

jbeckman
advanced

Post by jbeckman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:22 am

So it's a bit more complicated than what it first appeared to be, interesting nontheless though I also thought it would be a rather quick affair to work out how the file was packed or encrypted but I'm not exactly good at these things and it was just what I thought after a quick view of some of the archives in a simple hex editor. (Based on that all files appeared as readable albeit I guess that's the "header" and the actual info is that compressed and perhaps even encrypted data further into the file or how to say.)

Still I hope it can be sorted out eventually even though it might take some time. :)
(As to not be misunderstood and to be clear I'm not in a hurry or anything and I'm happy of any progress made with this and now since it seems proven to be more difficult than I first believed it's obvious it might take more time to work out the format and eventually be able to extract it in some way so once again thanks for looking into it.)

Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:31 pm

So we've established that it IS zlib. And we have a file name table followed by a file length table. Then we can also assume that the data runs in that order, otherwise the game itself would probably get confused. Afterall, it does need to have some logic.

jbeckman
advanced

Post by jbeckman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:42 pm

Well if any other files are required I can provide those as well, can't think of much else though aside from the actual EXE if that would somehow provide some insight. (Perhaps in how the game reads the archives?)

In terms of files it's actually pretty light (Outside of what might be in those .dv2 archives.), aside from the EXE it only uses a NxCharacter.dll and PhysXCore.dll file for the NVIDIA PhysX accelerated functions and then it's followed by the .dv2 files in the "\Data\Win32\Packed" folder and a bunch of pre-rendered movies in the "\Data\Win32\Video\" folder (WMV format.)

Unsure if this helps in ayway though I'll try to provide if anything else is required though the current .DV2 files are probably OK. :)
(Once one of them is extractable the others should work using the same method as I see it.)

Vash
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Vash » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Bad news :evil: . Archives are more difficult than I thought. For example I extracted manually a couple of zlibbed files which should have been 1 nif and 2 xmls but they were 3 nif so it means that not all files are listed. Plus, GUI.dv2 has some dds compressed (and tabled) and some aren't.
And we have a file name table followed by a file length table
nope...the filelength table is not right, look at this, it's a dump i made from MainDataPlatform.dv2 that should be [FILENAME][POINTER]:

Code: Select all

Win32\Characters\MdlManBinary.nif  -  476
Win32\CompiledAssets\AssetDataDescriptors.xml  -  16609
Win32\Effects\ItemDescriptors.xml  -  22d5d
Win32\Items\Sizes.xml  -  6e73b
Win32\Effects\Sizes.xml  -  97eaa
Win32\FlyingFortresses\flyingfortressanimationdata.xml  -  9991b
Win32\Characters\TemplateStats.xml  -  b4683
Win32\Characters\Sizes.xml  -  e2137
Win32\Scenery\ItemDescriptors.xml  -  e60b7
Win32\Textures\_NormalMap.nif  -  f6b32
Win32\FlyingFortresses\Sizes.xml  -  1336b5
Win32\World\WorldSizes.xml  -  135a9e
Win32\Effects\effectanimationdata.xml  -  14694c
Win32\Textures\_White.nif  -  178380
Win32\DungeonBlocks\dungeonblocks.xml  -  1796ac
Win32\Textures\Checkers.nif  -  18057e
Win32\Scenery\Sizes.xml  -  1b32de
Win32\Items\ItemDescriptors.xml  -  1b35cc
Win32\Textures\Textures.bin  -  1b434d
Win32\Items\itemanimationdata.xml  -  1da958
Win32\Characters\ItemDescriptors.xml  -  1ddabc
Win32\Textures\_Gray.nif  -  20810c
Win32\Textures\_Black.nif  -  22cae2
Win32\FlyingFortresses\ItemDescriptors.xml  -  22e717
Win32\Characters\CharacterAnimationData.xml  -  23be08
Well if any other files are required I can provide those as well, can't think of much else though aside from the actual EXE if that would somehow provide some insight.
Latest Securom >_<

jbeckman
advanced

Post by jbeckman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Ah, you're right about that, the protection does things to the EXE so I guess it's not as usable as I thought it was.
(It wraps it or what it's called, probably some encryption as well plus other stuff.)

Interesting progress though, will be fun to see what this will lead to, hopefully the compression/encryption doesn't become too difficult to handle but I'm not really good at these things so I can't really say much about it.
(Initially I had simply planned to extract the "Dialogs.dv2" file - Not uploaded as it's 700MB - and change the layout of what seems to be - \German\ to \English\ to make the localized data in "MainDataStreaming.dv2" usable without going trough every XML file manually but as it seems to be normal LUA and XML files more editing might be possible such as LOD levels and perhaps even NIF models eventually, textures seem to be normal .DDS - Most of which are in a separate .dv2 file at 1500 MB - but TexMod has worked great for that already.)

I guess that should the files become extractable others can also utilize it to further mod the game and alter data. :)
(Albeit once again I don't know much about this so unfortuantely I don't have any ideas or suggestions that would help, might just be a matter of time though, someone is bound to figure out the file format eventually but this is already showing good progress as I see it with various data and info such as it using zlib plus part of the file header and such.)

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Those anti-piracy implementations do nothing to stop piracy. What they do, however, is annoy the end-user extremely. A useless effort and a waste of money for the producers. It's about time they see that (yet again, as history seems to repeat every 3 to 4 years, already for decades....). Sorry for the off-topic message, but I had to get my anger out :P

madpaddy
ultra-n00b

Post by madpaddy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:29 pm

Anybody made any headway into getting this game into english :).

jbeckman
advanced

Post by jbeckman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Well from what I've read on this and other forums the file format is some standard zlib compressed format but the actual files aren't proper but instead some game engine specific format for streaming so even if it says .nif or .dds it'll not work like a standard .dds or .nif file (Some gamebryo technical thing or something perhaps?)

Still what I would have expected to work was to change the \Data\Win32\Character\Dialogues\German into *\English and hope the scripts and everything worked as intended however this seems more complicated now as there's a Filename.dialouge file for scripts during conversations and a FilenameGerman.dialogue for lipsynch data or something from what I've been told so all those might need to be renamed as well.

Even so the person who mentioned this said the game didn't really like unpacked files and had problems reading them so it sounds like it would be a bit of a problem though I do have a few ideas albeit they would require all of those .dv2 files to be unpacked in order to be tested. (There's a -data launch parameter which might be used for when not everything is packed in archives, causes crashes at the moment though and perhaps it won't be required when everything is unpacked even though it's a bit cumbersome workaround.)

Easiest solution as I see it would have been to play in the English language, switch to German just before when the game goes into one of those infinite loading screen loops and then switch back to English afterwards, bit of work but would have functioned aside from the savegame teating English and German saves as incompatible due to using different languages. :(

Still something has to work though first the files must get extracted in some way.
(Supposedly Offzip worked but the resolution hex location named .dat files aren't really optimal.)