Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

[HOWTO] Extracting Fallout 3 archives

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Crypton
advanced

[HOWTO] Extracting Fallout 3 archives

Post by Crypton » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:12 am

Hey guy :P

If anybody if interested how to extract a BSA files from fallout3 then I can help you...

This game uses new version of archives,but this change is applied only on textures.bsa archive.

So how to unpack remaining archives ? just open any archive in hex editor,go to offset 4 and change value from $68 to $67. They you open this archive in any BSA extractor (BSAUnpack,BSA Commander and so on...) and extract all files (game should work with extracted files :)

So whats changed in textures.bsa ?
This archive has before raw zlib stream saved a name of file (with full path),so you just need to skip this string to start offset of zlib stream.

If anybody is interested,then I can make a tool to convert textures.bsa to normal archive (v103),because its not so easy as changing only one byte :)

So happy modding guys :P
Last edited by Crypton on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

titanic
beginner

Re: [HOWTO] Extracting Fallout 3 archives

Post by titanic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:59 am

only different is version number fallout3 is 0x68,Oblivion is 0x67.
so open with hexwork change byte 5 from 68 to 67.

Crypton
advanced

Post by Crypton » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:43 pm

titanic wrote:only different is version number fallout3 is 0x68,Oblivion is 0x67.
so open with hexwork change byte 5 from 68 to 67.
Are you dumb or lame ?:P I told you this trick and you tell me that backward ? Did you already tried to extract textures.bsa ? probably not because then you will know that its changed in a way I described in this thread...

merlinsvk
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by merlinsvk » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:04 am

Crypton wrote:Hey guy :P
If anybody is interested,then I can make a tool to convert textures.bsa to normal archive (v103),because its not so easy as changing only one byte :)
So, I'm the first one who's interested :) And maybe not the last one. Can you make that tool, please?

merlinsvk
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by merlinsvk » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:54 pm

And I got a question. How to edit Fallout 3 .esp files? Does anybody know?

srcs34k
n00b

Post by srcs34k » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:44 am

BSA Unpacker
http://www.playground.ru/cheats/bsa_unpacker-11055/
BSAUnpack by Timeslip
http://timeslip.chorrol.com

Requires .NET 1.1!

** Usage **

This is a utility for viewing the files contained within an oblivion bsa archive and
unpacking them. To use, just run the exe file. Click open and select the bsa archive you
want to extract. A list of files contained within the archive will be displayed. You can
extract a single file by double clicking on it, extract multiple files by selecting them
and then clicking extract, or extract the whole archive by clicking extract all. You can
also sort the files contained in the archive using the combo box to the right. Select
the variable you wish to sort by, and click sort. (It isn't kept sorted automatically,
because otherwise it takes several minutes to open large BSA archives, such as the
compressed textures archive.)

** Limitations **

This is a standalone version of a utility from oblivion mod manager, and may not be kept
up to date. (This particular version was taken from somewhere between obmm 0.6 beta 1
and beta 2)

obmm is a .NET 2.0 application, and some features needed to be removed from this BSA
browser in order to retarget it at .NET 1.1. Most notably, there is no progress bar when
unpacking archives, and you cannot view the sizes of files before extracting them.

** Credits **

I played no part in decoding the BSA file format. I believe ghostwheel was the first to
do it, although according the uesp wiki history, the information was entered by rick.
This utility is based entirally on the data taken from uesp, so whoever originally
worked out the information, thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.