The rules have been updated, read them now: Rules!

anyone interesting far cry 2 unpack

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
titanic
beginner

anyone interesting far cry 2 unpack

Post by titanic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:12 am

all biger than 100MB, sorry cant upload file.

solecist
ultra-n00b

Re: anyone interesting far cry 2 unpack

Post by solecist » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:16 pm

i actually registered to request that this game in particular be looked at. seeing this thread, i wish i got to it first. you could be a little more descriptive than this, man (the mistake in the title doesn't help our cause, either :P).

anyway, the game uses DAT and FAT files like the last two far cry games, but attempts to open these files using the GE far cry instincts/evolution plugins does not work. this game DESEPERATELY needs to be fixed, and given ubisoft's track record that task is probably going to fall into the hands of the community (god willing).

just looking at the far cry 2 general forums you can see the desire for a tool to unpack the dat files, so any attention that can be given to this would be much appreciated.

solecist
ultra-n00b

Post by solecist » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:19 am

i swear to god i will pay for this program TWICE if you guys get me unpacked far cry 2 DAT files. heeelp!

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:57 pm

I will donate like $25 I swear (when i get the money, gah, just spent it on far cry 2). i'll upload some examples too, i know off a few larger hosting sites. it'll be a little while though, i have school in an hour.

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:29 pm

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.

Zatch
ultra-n00b

Post by Zatch » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:32 pm

As far as audio goes, using audiorip (as well as Jaeder Naub & DecUbiSnd), I've been able to successfully extract all Ogg Vorbis music and voice files from Far Cry 2's sound.dat files. Unlike it's predecessor, however, simply using a common extraction tool to extract the entire archive has proved futile. I've scanned all the .dat files with audiorip (along with the other two programs listed above) and haven't been able to locate any environment, character, weapon, or vehicle sounds. Would these possibly be encoded in a different format not recognized? I've also scanned for .wav files to no avail. Has anyone else had better luck?

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:48 pm

ubisnd detects some more of them, but not nearly all, still no weapon sounds or alot of the vehicle sounds.

I had to split the world file before scanning as it's too big for everything i tried.

grimdoomer
advanced

Post by grimdoomer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:39 am

These files are whack. The fat archives are the same, maybe they don't have the crc though. But none of the offsets point to any valid data. I cant figure out where 1 file begins and another starts. These files must be compressed or archived in some wierd way.

Also the fat file is telling me there are 5 files?

solecist
ultra-n00b

Post by solecist » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:42 am

nooooo :(

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:01 am

there are 6 dats and fats in the data_win32 directory. sound, sound_english, shadersobj, common, worlds and worlds_english with the last two being in a worlds subfolder.

just looking in the different files with a hex editor shows quite a few different structures between the common, sounds, worlds, and shader ones. the dunia.dll (main engine) is 17mb. i can easily upload that if it would help.

solecist
ultra-n00b

Post by solecist » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:27 am

sooo....no official word on this yet?

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:11 am

I did some work some time ago for FC2.

http://blog.gib.me/2008/10/28/unstable- ... evision-4/ (see also my SVN).
http://blog.gib.me/

Don't ask me about localization tools; if you don't have the resources to develop them yourself you don't need them.

jbeckman
advanced

Post by jbeckman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Any possibility in supporting Dunia 2.0 or well Far Cry 3 to use the games name directly?

It's still the .Dat and .Fat format albeit I would guess it's further updated along with the rest of the engine, would be interesting to have access to the contents of some of those files or in my case the various xml's therein to further configure the game, maybe eventually finding a way to re-enable the console prompt though I believe it's fully disabled in the normal builds so the chance of that happening is probably minimal.
(Without messing with the core Dunia .dll file at least, that's nothing I can do.)

There's no demo unfortunately so getting a example file that way is impossible and uploading files directly here is now against the forum rules as well (Causing problems by uploading copyrighted content I guess.) so all I can do at the moment is to ask and see what happens, game just came out too but it's not like I'm in a hurry or anything, US release date is also a bit different here and it won't be released until next Tuesday which probably also complicates things a bit.
(EU release date was today officially, normally it would have been this Tuesday for the US and then Friday for EU if I remember correctly.)

At worst they might be encrypted or some such to prevent this kind of action, unsure what other changes the format might have undergone, or the engine itself for that matter aside from very basic commonly available info.
(EDIT: Actually I guess the worst is if the core files are packed into the engine .dll files.)

I don't think there's anything else I can provide, might be possible to use Offzip to rip the files that way, bit crude perhaps but it would work for now, will have to try that and see what happens.

Engine isn't very mod friendly either from what I remember, then again the only tool for Far Cry 2 was the MP map editor which is likely one reason why, heh.

EDIT: Oh, decided to check the SVN mentioned above, seems there's already some progress with this, nice. :)
http://svn.gib.me/builds/dunia2/

EDIT: Seems to work just fine already, even better.

EDIT: Yeah this really helps, knowing the various commands, took a bit of work but it's possible to copy paste them into the default config file as long as it's under the correct section, will do for now.
(Shame it doesn't read the unpacked files, would be nice to get those logo videos out.)
Last edited by jbeckman on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ekey
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by Ekey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Possible structure same and just need to find the correct filenames :)

Rick

Post by Rick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Ekey wrote:Possible structure same and just need to find the correct filenames :)
Format is slightly different + they switched to CRC64 for filename hashes.
http://blog.gib.me/

Don't ask me about localization tools; if you don't have the resources to develop them yourself you don't need them.