The rules have been updated, read them now: Rules!

Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
atomicool
n00b
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by atomicool » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:48 pm

superdemus wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:15 pm
cool!how does this work?because it looks a little bit different from your example above
I'll see that I create some time to explain in in a .pdf or such. Because there's a little more to it than what I've posted earlier.
Looking forward to it! it seems that this Zola problem will be solved by you!

BartOss
ultra-n00b
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:39 am

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by BartOss » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Hey guys, can someone explain how to extract the london_sound.dat file? To get audio from the game. Because I've used any scripts in this topic, and everyting what I got: the scripts doing nothing or asking to press any button to exit... Any help would be appreciated! <3

Okay, I'm dumb. Thanks all who supported this thread and forum :mrgreen:

tonilai2012
ultra-n00b
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by tonilai2012 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:29 pm

maryrangel wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:40 pm
The repacker works beautifully! Thank you!

Now I was wondering if someone could give me some help with texture modding!
I noticed the game’s high textures for body parts are DXT1 without mipmaps, and modding them work fine! (Unfortunately you can only see them if you zoom in very close to the mesh, because that’s the only time the game loads them)
On the other hand, weirdly, the game uses medium quality textures to show on the mesh at distance, and these medium textures have mipmaps.
All good up to here, they are also DXT1 and you would think they can be saved as such with auto generated mipmaps and it would work fine, but it doesn’t.
When I try to use modded medium skin textures it looks all off, I mean the texture loads in game but kinda blurry or out of place.
If only I knew how to properly save them (I did notice the modded dds texture is 1 kb off on all medium textures when I save them) or if I could at least force the game to only read the “high” textures and stop loading the medium one - thought I would see if someone here has already been through the challenge and know a fix?
I never modded WD2 so im not sure if it’s something known for the community.

Any help would be appreciated! Ps: the textures, high and medium I mentioned above are in: graphics/characters/body/body_parts/white00 (or black00 or arab00)/
can you show me how to use repacker i finished edit of texture but can not repack

tonilai2012
ultra-n00b
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by tonilai2012 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:30 pm

deylone wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:18 am
Many thanks for the packer. I have managed to use the recombine option to modify config files as desired. I didn't try anything else so I won't be of much help on questions related to xbg or textures.
can you show me how to use repacker i finished edit of texture but can not repack

tonilai2012
ultra-n00b
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by tonilai2012 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:32 pm

superdemus wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:48 pm
Speaking of textures, I don't know if anyone knows the deal with those .xbt files that shows "ZOLA" when you open those with the hex editor?
Image

The only place I discovered where .dds files are discussed, along with "ZOLA", is another topic here at xentax about Watch Dogs 2:
viewtopic.php?t=15567&start=165

Anyhow, what I found out is that most of those files I've encountered, correspond well with BC7 DDS.
Take the logo at the back of the hoodie at the picture below for example:
Image
london_ultra\graphics\characters\wd3\motifs\logos\brand_fydel_multi_01_ultra.xbt

When I copy the data of said .xbt file into a blank BC7 DDS file of the same format (512x512px without mipmaps in this case)...
Image

...then it will open just fine into photoshop.
Image

Image

It is probably not the most efficient way to do it, but it works fine for me.

For testing purposes, I've changed the logo into an "X" before reversing the process...
Image

...and it seems to work fine ingame.
Image

During the reverse process I've saved the dds as BC7 8bpp Fine (sRGB, DX11+) with the intel plugin and removed "ultra" from the xbt's filename as CobraGamer suggests.
can you show me how to use repacker i finished edit of texture but can not repack

tonilai2012
ultra-n00b
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by tonilai2012 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:32 pm

can you show me how to use repacker i finished edit of texture but can not repack

tonilai2012
ultra-n00b
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by tonilai2012 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:22 pm

superdemus wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:48 pm
Speaking of textures, I don't know if anyone knows the deal with those .xbt files that shows "ZOLA" when you open those with the hex editor?
Image

The only place I discovered where .dds files are discussed, along with "ZOLA", is another topic here at xentax about Watch Dogs 2:
viewtopic.php?t=15567&start=165

Anyhow, what I found out is that most of those files I've encountered, correspond well with BC7 DDS.
Take the logo at the back of the hoodie at the picture below for example:
Image
london_ultra\graphics\characters\wd3\motifs\logos\brand_fydel_multi_01_ultra.xbt

When I copy the data of said .xbt file into a blank BC7 DDS file of the same format (512x512px without mipmaps in this case)...
Image

...then it will open just fine into photoshop.
Image

Image

It is probably not the most efficient way to do it, but it works fine for me.

For testing purposes, I've changed the logo into an "X" before reversing the process...
Image

...and it seems to work fine ingame.
Image

During the reverse process I've saved the dds as BC7 8bpp Fine (sRGB, DX11+) with the intel plugin and removed "ultra" from the xbt's filename as CobraGamer suggests.
hi do you replace old xbt with new one ?

superdemus
ultra-n00b
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:19 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by superdemus » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:56 pm

tonilai2012 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:22 pm
hi do you replace old xbt with new one ?
First I make a backup of the original vanilla xtb file (recommended). Then I "convert" the modded dds file back into xtb by copying the dds's data with a hex editor and paste it into the original xtb, overwriting the vanilla data. Basicly the same way how I explained my method of "coverting" xtb to dds but reversed.
tonilai2012 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:32 pm
can you show me how to use repacker i finished edit of texture but can not repack
The approach I take to use the modded files ingame is by merging the modded files into patch.dat/.fat with the repacker.

1) Move or copy your modded xtb file into a map (for example "map1"). The xtb needs to be stored into the same submaps like it was originally stored into the dat archive (for example "graphics\characters\wd3\....\<<your xtb file>>)
2) Move or copy patch.dat and patch.fat into another map (for example "map2").
3) Open notepad and type the following command: PackLegion.exe map1 patch.fat map2\patch.fat
Then save that file as "repack.bat"
4) Move or copy "map1", "map2" and "repack.bat" into the same map where "PackLegion.exe" is stored and double click at "repack.bat".
5) A modded "patch.dat" and "patch.fat" will appear into the same map as "PackLegion.exe".

It's also recommended to create a backup of patch.dat/.fat before storing the modded ones into the installation map (C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Watch Dogs Legion\data_win64\...).

tonilai2012
ultra-n00b
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by tonilai2012 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:23 am

thanks for help will give a try

tonilai2012
ultra-n00b
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by tonilai2012 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:28 pm

sorry but when i try to do it shows Exception.ToString,does map means folder path?

superdemus
ultra-n00b
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:19 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by superdemus » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:38 am

tonilai2012 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:28 pm
sorry but when i try to do it shows Exception.ToString,does map means folder path?
I've added "WDL_repacker.zip" as an attachment. This zip file contains a setup that you can unpack and use for merging your modded files with "patch.fat" and "patch.dat". I've also provided it with a readme file so you can see step by step what you'll have to do to make it work.

I couldn't add "PackLegion.exe" to the zip file because it isn't my program and I haven't asked permission at the creator to distribute it myself.
So you'll have to copy "PackLegion.exe" into the setup yourself.

Good luck!

PS: Just to be clear, the attachment into this post is only a ready made setup for easier use of one the functions of the repacker. The actual repacker still has to be copied into this setup before you can use it. A link to the actual repacking program is provided at the following post into this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22903&start=30#p169121
I've also removed the attachment and uploaded it again with another filename, to prevent misunderstandings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by superdemus on Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

superdemus
ultra-n00b
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:19 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by superdemus » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:44 pm

superdemus wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:15 pm
cool!how does this work?because it looks a little bit different from your example above
I'll see that I create some time to explain in in a .pdf or such. Because there's a little more to it than what I've posted earlier.
Okay, It took me a while to prepare, but at following link you'll find some sort of manual in which I show how to convert ZOLA .xbt files to .dds and back to .xbt with the help of a hex editor:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck8mubmxhc5bg ... s.pdf?dl=0

A more efficient method is described in there then the one I've provided earlier at this topic. The manual also covers conversion of .xbt and .dds files with mip maps.

superdemus
ultra-n00b
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:19 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by superdemus » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:58 am

superdemus wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:38 am
tonilai2012 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:28 pm
sorry but when i try to do it shows Exception.ToString,does map means folder path?
I've added "WDL_repacker.zip" as an attachment. This zip file contains a setup that you can unpack and use for merging your modded files with "patch.fat" and "patch.dat". I've also provided it with a readme file so you can see step by step what you'll have to do to make it work.

I couldn't add "PackLegion.exe" to the zip file because it isn't my program and I haven't asked permission at the creator to distribute it myself.
So you'll have to copy "PackLegion.exe" into the setup yourself.

Good luck!
It looks like, since recent updates, that "patch.dat" reached a filesize of almost 5Gb and the repacker seems to have trouble with merging modded files into it. So I've prepared an alternate setup that will make use of "patch_english.dat" (which for now has a filesize of only 374Mb) instead. Until now it works fine for me.

PS: Just to be clear, the attachment into this post is only a ready made setup for easier use of one the functions of the repacker. The actual repacker still has to be copied into this setup before you can use it. A link to the actual repacking program is provided at the following post into this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22903&start=30#p169121
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

atomicool
n00b
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Watch Dogs: Legion .dat .fat archives

Post by atomicool » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:19 am

superdemus wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:58 am
superdemus wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:38 am
tonilai2012 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:28 pm
sorry but when i try to do it shows Exception.ToString,does map means folder path?
I've added "WDL_repacker.zip" as an attachment. This zip file contains a setup that you can unpack and use for merging your modded files with "patch.fat" and "patch.dat". I've also provided it with a readme file so you can see step by step what you'll have to do to make it work.

I couldn't add "PackLegion.exe" to the zip file because it isn't my program and I haven't asked permission at the creator to distribute it myself.
So you'll have to copy "PackLegion.exe" into the setup yourself.

Good luck!
It looks like, since recent updates, that "patch.dat" reached a filesize of almost 5Gb and the repacker seems to have trouble with merging modded files into it. So I've prepared an alternate setup that will make use of "patch_english.dat" (which for now has a filesize of only 374Mb) instead. Until now it works fine for me.

PS: Just to be clear, the attachment into this post is only a ready made setup for easier use of one the functions of the repacker. The actual repacker still has to be copied into this setup before you can use it. A link to the actual repacking program is provided at the following post into this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22903&start=30#p169121
Most of them can be packaged into patch_english.dat,but some have to be in patch.dat.
Of course, all textures can be packaged into patch_english.dat,It's very convenient.

Post Reply