Any graphics artist looking for something different? Why not join us and create 8-bit graphics in the C64 scene! Click here for more info.
Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Twisted Metal: Black Main Menu music|Extracting .BNK files with VGMToolbox guide.

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
KarmaKrow
n00b

Twisted Metal: Black Main Menu music|Extracting .BNK files with VGMToolbox guide.

Post by KarmaKrow » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:55 am

I've extracted the SND folder containing the .BNK files of Twisted Metal: Black for PS2. My only concern now is how to extract, or maybe open, or convert, those .BNK files with certain methods.

I already have VGMToolbox, and had tried so many presets to convert/open/extract those .BNK files, but to no success, just no output of the files anywhere, no conversion, nothing. Could any of you respected people on this forum give me some help, please?

I'll provide you with a shareable link for the SND folder containing the .BNK files I'm talking about, hopefully that can give you a better understanding of my issue:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=183ate ... 8rqJKD8LUk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=183ate ... 8rqJKD8LUk (Going to have to copy and paste this link in the Google search tab)

(I'm mostly interested in the file(s) named SHELLMUS.BNK, SHELLCAR.BNK, and SHELLSFX.BNK., for I believe one of those files to contain the music track used for the games main menu screen)

DKDave
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Twisted Metal: Black Main Menu music|Extracting .BNK files with VGMToolbox guide.

Post by DKDave » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:53 am

PSound can get you the audio from those BNK archives. However, if you want the music, that is stored in the SHELLMUS.BNK file, but not as an audio file. All of the instruments are stored separately, and there is a MIDI-like table to put it all together. So it would need someone to decipher this table to discover how the instruments are played.
"Each person is born with their fate written into their own genetic code. It's unchangeable, immutable. But that's not all there is to life." - Dr. Naomi Hunter

KarmaKrow
n00b

Re: Twisted Metal: Black Main Menu music|Extracting .BNK files with VGMToolbox guide.

Post by KarmaKrow » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:54 am

Thanks for your help, PSound worked out perfectly, extracting those .BNK files, I appreciate your assistance. Now, where can I find this MIDI-like table/create such thing, and how exactly do I decipher how the instruments are played exactly?

Sorry for such a late reply by the way, didn't know how to respond back exactly.