Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Freedom Fighters (Xbox) streams_*.wav/FF*.WAV/FF*.WHD/FF*.SND/FF*.LOC

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
GenericRipper
advanced

Freedom Fighters (Xbox) streams_*.wav/FF*.WAV/FF*.WHD/FF*.SND/FF*.LOC

Post by GenericRipper » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am

Hi guys, I hope you're able to help me unpack at least a portion of these audio archives from FF: maybe streams_*.wav files contain all I ever needed but I'd like to check out contents of FF*.WAV too, the latter might store mere level-specific SFX but possibly some cutscene tracks or even BGM too.
I'm not too sure about nature or purpose of *.SND or *.LOC files (they were found in *.ZIP archives) but I figured out those could be useful as well as *.WAV/*.WHD pairs.

Best wishes & good luck!
PS. If it helps there're 8 streams_*.wav files & the 1st 7 (from streams_0.wav to Streams_6.wav) have exactly the same size, 256 000 000 Bytes.

DKDave
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Freedom Fighters (Xbox) streams_*.wav/FF*.WAV/FF*.WHD/FF*.SND/FF*.LOC

Post by DKDave » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:12 pm

I extracted the files from PC version of this game, so it should be similar.

SND contains the filenames and offsets
WHD contains sample rate, channels, etc.
LOC contains the dialogue
WAV contains the audio

I'll have a look to see how similar it is to the PC version.
"Each person is born with their fate written into their own genetic code. It's unchangeable, immutable. But that's not all there is to life." - Dr. Naomi Hunter

GenericRipper
advanced

Re: Freedom Fighters (Xbox) streams_*.wav/FF*.WAV/FF*.WHD/FF*.SND/FF*.LOC

Post by GenericRipper » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:06 am

Thanks for taking your time to look into both versions!
Any chance your discoveries regarding those formats might help us get playable sounds from 2 or even more platforms? I'd like to think that WAV/WHD/SND/LOC archive types are basically the same on all platforms, I mean their structure; it's just that every platform uses its own set of codecs (could it be 44KHz or even 48KHz PCM on Xbox?)... Anyway we'll see.

Best regards, GenericRipper.
PS. By the looks of it LOC files contain subtitles/text, not actual streamed audio data, am I right?