Any graphics artist looking for something different? Why not join us and create 8-bit graphics in the C64 scene! Click here for more info.
Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger PSX .pac/str files (looking for ingame music)

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
PlayaMoon
ultra-n00b

Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger PSX .pac/str files (looking for ingame music)

Post by PlayaMoon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:01 pm

Hi. This game in particular has been the most annoying to rip compared to other games that I dealt with. Long story short, I needed to rip the music for this game. I checked the XA folder but what I got was only voice files and opening music. Which only leaves the data folder full of .pac files, all of them are less than 700kb. Had there been an ingame option to turn of sfx and voice I would've done that at this point. (:

The XA folder's content that I ripped was in a smaller size than the original. It may or may not have missed any data. So I'll leave the possible suspects in this link (They're in .str though): https://mega.nz/#F!q4UiUIiQ!zzD99RACQzS1gmi-Fj-Ccw

If those aren't it, I am wondering if the music is stored in the .pac files or not. I'll leave a bunch of pac files here in this link for anyone to experiment with: https://mega.nz/#F!CxUWSagZ!l1DJ2N-F2X_mbjIFcCjglw

Idk why but I did see some of the game's music ripped out there uploaded by people, but they are not a complete list. If anyone has an idea about these file types and how to extract them, especially the music portion, that'd be great.

DKDave
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger PSX .pac/str files (looking for ingame music)

Post by DKDave » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:54 pm

The .str files don't contain the soundtrack, but there are small bits of dialogue over some music - these can be played on Foobar with vgmstream.

The music itself is contained in the PAC files. However, they're in some sort of MIDI-type format as you can use PSound to hear the samples of the individual instruments in each PAC file. They seem to be in the Playstation's BGM format, or something similar, but it's not something I've dabbled in.
"Each person is born with their fate written into their own genetic code. It's unchangeable, immutable. But that's not all there is to life." - Dr. Naomi Hunter

PlayaMoon
ultra-n00b

Re: Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger PSX .pac/str files (looking for ingame music)

Post by PlayaMoon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:47 pm

I see. So one way is to use the instruments and manually make the soundtrack, but i'm no composer. Still wondering how did those people manage to rip it. There's nothing else in here other than some prg files and system.cnf file.