READ THE RULES: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xentax/ :)

Dark Souls 3 *.bdt and *.bhd Files

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
BloatheadSorcerer
n00b

Dark Souls 3 *.bdt and *.bhd Files

Post by BloatheadSorcerer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:22 pm

I would like to know if anyone can break the encryption of dark souls 3's files
here is sample of the files BDT and BHD:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... aring#grid

Swennet
ultra-n00b

Re: Dark Souls 3 *.bdt and *.bhd Files

Post by Swennet » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Me too. More specifically, I would like to extract all the textures and item images from these files. Hope someone can figure this out :)

EDIT: Managed to extract the bdt files partially using offzip.

Now I have a folder full of TPF files that I can't see to open. I tried using Rick's tools but it crashes every time I try (so probably incompatible)

Anyone have any ideas on how to work with these TPF files?

BloatheadSorcerer
n00b

Post by BloatheadSorcerer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:18 pm

can you please post step-by-step how you were able to extract them using offzip?
the tpf files I think there is a tool with Rick Tewls that can extract tpf files

EDIT: i tried using Offzip but it uses a different zip format or something....

HunterAP
advanced

Post by HunterAP » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:10 pm

If you can explain on how to unencrypted the files, I'll be glad to look into the TPF files.

Swennet
ultra-n00b

Post by Swennet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:26 pm

I have already tried using Rick's Tools unpack the TPF files, but like I said, the tool crashes.

Here's how I unpacked them using offzip. Thanks to chrrox's post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7453&start=15

Optional steps but make the process a bit easier:
1. Copy the relevant Data.bdt file to your system's root for ease of access. (Data5.bdt contains all the TFP files as far as I know)
2. Create a new folder on that same drive in root called extract.
3. Copy your offzip folder to the same drive's root

Your folder structure should look something like this now:

Code: Select all

D:\Data5.bdt
D:\offzip
D:\extract
Extracting the files
4. Run the windows command line as Administrator by going to Start and typing cmd, then right click cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator
5. Write the command line to unpack the files. Look at the optional steps to see why I use these paths. For me it was the following:

Code: Select all

D:\offzip\offzip.exe -a D:\Data5.bdt D:\extract 0x0
6. Press Enter and let it run until finished.
7. Share any new information you may find out in this thread :)

Note that you will probably see a lot of errors. So far, I've only been able to successfully extract most files from Data5.bdt. (About 7GB worth of TPF files) The other Data*.bdt files have barely extracted any content for me. Maybe someone can figure out how to properly extract those files as well.
Last edited by Haoose on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: dat→bdt

BloatheadSorcerer
n00b

Post by BloatheadSorcerer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:58 pm

Okay so I was able to extract multiple .BND files from Data3.bdt and I tried using BinderTool to extract them but I come up with a files named "N" with no extension. Maybe we are getting closer

EDIT: Okay I was able to extract the BND files using offzip command. I came up with alot of extensions including dat and txt.

HunterAP
advanced

Post by HunterAP » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:17 am

Extracting the BDT files right now, but you should be able to open the TPF texture files with a hex editor and see if it's a DDS file with a TPF header. That's what it was like for Demon Souls, Dark Souls, DSII, and DSII SotFS.

It also looks like all the filed named N are also DDS files with a TPF header, and all the WAAW files I believe are HKX animations. The DAT files seem to be the engine's coding for shaders and lighting.

michalss

Post by michalss » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:35 pm

not sure what are you doing now but DS3 is supported... https://github.com/Atvaark/BinderTool
Quick BMS Editor GUI - simple easy to use
Goto : viewtopic.php?uid=34229&f=29&t=6797&start=0

Downloads from DropBox : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/

BloatheadSorcerer
n00b

Post by BloatheadSorcerer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:44 pm

How can I use the source files? I can't seem to find an exe version and I have no experience in compiling programs whatsoever....

pewposterous
beginner

Post by pewposterous » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:06 am

i get a error when trying to use the binder tool

C:\WINDOWS\system32>D:\binder\BinderTool.exe D:\A\Data5.bdt D:\Extract

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)
at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadInt32()
at BinderTool.Core.Bhf4.Bhf4Entry.Read(Stream inputStream) in c:\Users\Tim\Documents\GitHub\BinderTool\BinderTool.Core\Bhf4\Bhf4Entry.cs:line 27
at BinderTool.Core.Bhf4.Bhf4File.Read(Stream inputStream) in c:\Users\Tim\Documents\GitHub\BinderTool\BinderTool.Core\Bhf4\Bhf4File.cs:line 78
at BinderTool.Program.UnpackBdf4File(Options options)
at BinderTool.Program.Main(String[] args)

Zoetropes
ultra-n00b

Post by Zoetropes » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:53 am

pewposterous, this happens when you don't spell the BDT filename correctly, BinderTool is case sensitive.

pewposterous
beginner

Post by pewposterous » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:10 am

Thanks for the help but im not sure i follow. I type this "D:\binder>BinderTool.exe D:\A\Data5.bdt D:\Extract". This is all case sensitive as far as i can tell and ive triple checked that im spelling everything right. Am i missing something?

I even tried copying the bdt/bhd files into the binder tool folder and mounting from there "D:\binder>BinderTool.exe Data5.bdt" but still get the same error

HunterAP
advanced

Post by HunterAP » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:06 am

Some things to note:
The new version of BinderTool doesn't have a file name / folder hierarchy dictionary, so all the files are just named after thier archive with a hash after them, making finding what textures relate to what models nearly impossible. This mean even if you got all the files out, you'd spend months to try to arrange the files accordingly. Might as well wait until an update that includes a dictionary comes out.

Secondly, and also ironically, the updated BinderTool actually found less TPF files than using offzip. BinderTool also has trouble with all the DCX files, but I tried offzip and it seemed to work fine (but without any file naming whatsoever). Whatever DCX files BinderTool did unpack, it unpacked BND files without the BND extension, making the process just that much harder to deal with. I haven't tried out using offzip yet, but I'll look into it.

I'd still recommend waiting until a file/folder dictionary is created, you won't get far from unpacking a bunch of unnamed/unstructured files.

Zoetropes
ultra-n00b

Post by Zoetropes » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:03 pm

pewposterous wrote:Thanks for the help but im not sure i follow *snip*
I'm not sure what the problem is then, I put BinderTool and its required DLLs in my path and call it without specifying the absolute path to the exe, but looking through the source that shouldn't make any difference at all and it'd be weird if that was your problem. I managed to unpack by following the readme instructions exactly, but as HunterAP states above, it's not incredibly useful at this point. I'll look more into it during the upcoming week as well as seeing if ResoRep can be used for texture replacement.

Swennet
ultra-n00b

Post by Swennet » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:31 am

So, has anyone been able to successfully extract and view any of the game's files yet? Personally, I'm most interested in the texture files, item images and sound files. Has anyone been able to extract these in a usable format yet?