Offtopic: Into Commodore 64 (6502) coding, pixeling or music?
Xentax is looking for new members for the C64 activities!
Just drop us a message at forum@xentax.com and join the Scene Team!

Forum rules: Click here

MGS The Twin Snakes vox.dat

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Jonathan Ingram
n00b

MGS The Twin Snakes vox.dat

Post by Jonathan Ingram » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:24 am

I still haven't found anything that successfully extracts the Vorbis streams from vox.dat. demux_dat_be will only recognize the subtitle data. I've heard that Obscure Extractor GTK works on vox.dat as well as extracts the VP3 format movies from movie.dat, but I can never get the thing to work.

Some tool will extract the files, but they'll skip chunks of audio during playback. demux_dat_be.exe extracts the Vorbis streams from demo.dat and \shared\movie.dat and they play correctly, but it doesn't work on vox.dat. I've tried cutting out the subtitle data at the beginning of the file, but it still gave me a read error.

Download: vox.dat

If anyone here knows how to extract vox.dat's contents to play back correctly, please let me know.

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: MGS The Twin Snakes vox.dat

Post by Pepper » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:18 pm

well, it's not that it's skipping around, that's how it's stored. it decoded fine. the game then splices together bits from each file once it loads them into memory. I don't know why they did it this way, but they did.

Marrigand
ultra-n00b

Re: MGS The Twin Snakes vox.dat

Post by Marrigand » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:25 am

Should not forget this thing. So it's great if we could talk again.