Offtopic: Into Commodore 64 (6502) coding, pixeling or music?
Xentax is looking for new members for the C64 activities!
Just drop us a message at forum@xentax.com and join the Scene Team!

Forum rules: Click here

Metal gear solid Twin snakes .dat files and audio

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Speed Nukem
ultra-n00b

Metal gear solid Twin snakes .dat files and audio

Post by Speed Nukem » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:06 am

I wanted to replace the music in metal gear solid twin snakes with the original ps1 music
on extracting the gc rom the files in the shared/audio/stream and the audio/stream folder are actually dsp files, all the level music and ingame voices(whos there,a surveillance camera,tighten security,mantis reading the memory card,title theme,snake snake SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE) I edited some of them in audacity and replaced cd 1 level music but then i ran into this problem

scanning the vox.dat and movies.dat with psound and solidus which are supposed to contain the codec convos and real time rendered video music results in no files found
as far as I understand the working of solidus and psound(I may be wrong) they look for specific file types in the dat archive so if the search is modified to find files without extensions then it can esily extract all the files present in the dat archive in this case fioles wthout extensions are music files
so can I have a versions of solidus that extracts files without extensions? pretty please :P

ps. if someone wants a list of music ouside the dat files let me know

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Metal gear solid Twin snakes .dat files and audio

Post by Pepper » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Speed Nukem wrote:I wanted to replace the music in metal gear solid twin snakes with the original ps1 music
on extracting the gc rom the files in the shared/audio/stream and the audio/stream folder are actually dsp files, all the level music and ingame voices(whos there,a surveillance camera,tighten security,mantis reading the memory card,title theme,snake snake SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE) I edited some of them in audacity and replaced cd 1 level music but then i ran into this problem

scanning the vox.dat and movies.dat with psound and solidus which are supposed to contain the codec convos and real time rendered video music results in no files found
as far as I understand the working of solidus and psound(I may be wrong) they look for specific file types in the dat archive so if the search is modified to find files without extensions then it can esily extract all the files present in the dat archive in this case fioles wthout extensions are music files
so can I have a versions of solidus that extracts files without extensions? pretty please :P

Solidus supposedly only worked with texture formats in twin snakes if i recall, but i never even got that working. psound is designed for sony ps1/2/psp audio formats, I'm pretty sure twin snakes uses ogg vorbis (weird on gamecube, I know, but the dev behind it was starting a big project on UE3, which ended up being their downfall) The only problem is, the audio you get is recognizable, but segments of audio are jumbled across inside all the files, and not coherent to one bit of audio. I can't really describe it better, you'll see when you get the files out.

lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:23 pm

Pepper wrote:
Speed Nukem wrote:I wanted to replace the music in metal gear solid twin snakes with the original ps1 music

Solidus supposedly only worked with texture formats in twin snakes if i recall, but i never even got that working. psound is designed for sony ps1/2/psp audio formats, I'm pretty sure twin snakes uses ogg vorbis (weird on gamecube, I know, but the dev behind it was starting a big project on UE3, which ended up being their downfall) The only problem is, the audio you get is recognizable, but segments of audio are jumbled across inside all the files, and not coherent to one bit of audio. I can't really describe it better, you'll see when you get the files out.
Solidus could/can extract the textures but thats it, it can't do anything else with twin snakes.

Twin Snakes does use OGG Vorbis for its music, but not sure what it uses for its cutscene audio or basically non gameplay background music audio.
"Lemons are people nice hardworking & honest people too..."

Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:43 am

lionheartuk wrote:
Pepper wrote:

Solidus could/can extract the textures but thats it, it can't do anything else with twin snakes.

Twin Snakes does use OGG Vorbis for its music, but not sure what it uses for its cutscene audio or basically non gameplay background music audio.
it's pretty much ogg vorbis for cutscene audio, it's just smashed into small bits of audio stored in each ogg file. I would guess the game somehow takes these 0.1-1 second chunks strewn about inside each ogg vorbis stream and reassembles them. Haven't got the faintest clue how it knows what to do what with, and the files just sound like a jumbled phonetic mess of syllables from recognizable voices.

Speed Nukem
ultra-n00b

Post by Speed Nukem » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:56 am

I don't think the music files are ogg I guess they are dsp files like the ones outside the DAT files
maybe the dsp and ogg have something common in their hex which results in the jumbled up audio
this obviously is a speculation
I have got a open source DAT extractor called dragon unpacker
modifying this program to find dsp files should give a answer

P.s.
I have replaced all the level music in mgs tts rom how do i make a patch?

Jonathan Ingram
n00b

Post by Jonathan Ingram » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:07 am

The files found in the \audio\ or \shared\audio\ directories are standard Nintendo DSP streams and SPD/SPT banks.

You can use demux_dat_be.exe to extract the Vorbis streams from demo.dat and \shared\movie.dat and have them play back correctly. It will name them as .mtaf files, so change the extensions to .ogg after extraction.

Solidus can extract the files from stage.dat and \shared\face.dat. It can also convert the .texturefiles, but it won't work with the .kmy models.

I still haven't found anything that successfully extracts the Vorbis streams from vox.dat. demux_dat_be will only recognize the subtitle data. I've heard that Obscure Extractor GTK works on vox.dat as well as extracts the VP3 format movies from movie.dat, but I can never get the thing to work.

If anyone here knows how to get vox.dat's contents and in a way so that they play back correctly, please let me know.

solidcrash
ultra-n00b

Post by solidcrash » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:46 am

Has there been progress in this project. I'm having some trouble with it. I found how identify wich audio modify from the audio/stream folder. Every audio are split left and right channel. How can i replace that? First i need to convert the psx audio in dsp format. Do i need to split them left and right? Or can i simple put the same audio in both channel?
It will be nice to have some tutorial for doing everything if someome as already did. Thanks a lot