Join also our Discord channel! Click here.

Alien Isolation (.PAK .BIN)

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
volfin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Alien Isolation (.PAK .BIN)

Post by volfin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:25 am

I haven't done anything with them. For me it's mostly the challenge of figuring out extraction and learning how the game engines work. However I do know a guy who made some kind of multiplayer map out of one the levels. he sent me a link years ago but I don't seem to have it anymore.

Edit: found it
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =817550789

guidkal
ultra-n00b

Re: Alien Isolation (.PAK .BIN)

Post by guidkal » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:26 pm

That's pretty cool, although i have never played Black Ops 3. Still impressive. Thx for that link!

So one last question regarding Materials. I don't seem to be able to find any Material files in the AI game folder. (Background: I'd like to see which textures the respective materials use so that i can recreate those materials in my game engine. Without having this info the only way would be to trial and error different textures while trying to get the ingame look of AI.

The only thing i was abe to find is the Material_Mappings.PAK which contains the model -> material mappings, so e.g. walls_01.xml contains:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<material_mappings>
  <map>
    <original arrow="true">SCI_Plastic_Smooth_White</original>
    <override arrow="true">HAB_Metal_Smooth_Grey</override>
  </map>
  <map>
    <original arrow="true">SCI_Plastic_Gloss_White</original>
    <override arrow="true">HAB_Plastic_Smooth_Grey</override>
  </map>
  <map>
    <original arrow="true">SCI_Plastic_Smooth_White</original>
    <override arrow="true">HAB_Metal_Smooth_Grey</override>
  </map>
</material_mappings>
So now i know which materials are used by the wall model, however i do not know which tetures would make up those materials.

In DATA/Material_DATA we also have MATERIALS.XML and MATERIALS_LIST.TXT which also do not contain useful info regarding to textures.

Last thing i managed to find are the LEVEL_MODELS.MTL files in each /RENDERABLE folder of the levels. However i can not open those properly. only some fragments are readable as text. However they seem to contain at least the Material names, e.g. they contain "SCI_Plastic_Smooth_White" which is also contained in the above Wall_01.XML file. So maybe the .MTL files contain texture names in the parts of the file that are not plaintext.

Do you happen to know more on that front?

Cheers again!