The rules have been updated, read them now: Rules!

DELETE

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
TheReaperCooL
advanced

DELETE

Post by TheReaperCooL » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:23 am

FOUND ALL MY TOOLS, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE!
Last edited by TheReaperCooL on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bastien
advanced

Re: Need tools for games, will pay for them

Post by Bastien » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:15 am

How do you assure me that you will pay me the 5 dollars after I spent my time doing the working tool ?

TheReaperCooL
advanced

Post by TheReaperCooL » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Well if the tool really works as I want it to (extracts text and maybe graphics, can import them back in with extra character length and with working unicode characters), then I'll pay for you. I'm an honest guy who keeps his words.

Also I've made a request on another forum where I've asked for a script, noone would do it, I became a little bit desperate and thought I'd offer 5 USD for the first person who makes a working script as I've said before. Then bam! Suddenly there were not one, but two scripts, and I've chosen the better one, because that worked as intended (there were some confusions, but it worked). You can read all of it here as proof.

Darko
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Darko » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:40 pm

5$ for a working command line tool that may take quite some research to do and then time to program? Do you have any idea what hourly rate that would turn out to be?

TheReaperCooL
advanced

Post by TheReaperCooL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Mr.Mouse wrote:5$ for a working command line tool that may take quite some research to do and then time to program? Do you have any idea what hourly rate that would turn out to be?
A lot. But given that someone may code it in less than 5-10 minutes, yet doesn't want to work for free, then 5$ is good for him. After the unpacking and stuff he makes a program for me for money which I use to translate a game with 30.000 lines for free, and I get no money from it. And no, I don't want money for it, translating is a hobby, and people never should ask for payment (donations is acceptable, but not required).

And if someone wants to make the program and really makes it, and says that "5$ isn't enough, I need X$ for this", then if the price is right, I'll pay for that too. Just don't ask for the impossible.

Also there are lot of people here who research stuff like this, make tools and whatnot, and don't ask for a dime. Kudos to them. Even if I offer little people shouldn't react like "OMG HOW LITTLE YOU OFFER!!!", they should be happy that I WANT to pay them for what they are doing...

Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:45 pm

Why would anyone that would be willing to create a tool for free, because they like to do it as a hobby of some kind, suddenly be happy if they get $5,- for it? That's hardly realistic, is it. And those that would only do it for the money will laugh in your face, because all they get is $5,- that may only buy them a beer. I will tell you: anyone that creates all of these tools in their own time, will feel pretty cheap if all of a sudden they start to accept small change for all their effort.

This very time-consuming report on Metacritic I did http://www.xentax.com/wp-content/upload ... X_2014.pdf

I didn't do it for money, I did it because I felt like it. Because I had an idea, that turned out to be quite the argument against Metacritic and critics. Many, many hours went into that. Now suppose someone came along and said : Hey dude, please write me a paper on GameSpot like you did with Metacritic, I'll pay you $5,- for it. Now please read that last paragraph again, and feel the aversity. Feel the discordance.

TheReaperCooL
advanced

Post by TheReaperCooL » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:45 am

Mr.Mouse wrote:Why would anyone that would be willing to create a tool for free, because they like to do it as a hobby of some kind, suddenly be happy if they get $5,- for it? That's hardly realistic, is it. And those that would only do it for the money will laugh in your face, because all they get is $5,- that may only buy them a beer. I will tell you: anyone that creates all of these tools in their own time, will feel pretty cheap if all of a sudden they start to accept small change for all their effort.

This very time-consuming report on Metacritic I did http://www.xentax.com/wp-content/upload ... X_2014.pdf

I didn't do it for money, I did it because I felt like it. Because I had an idea, that turned out to be quite the argument against Metacritic and critics. Many, many hours went into that. Now suppose someone came along and said : Hey dude, please write me a paper on GameSpot like you did with Metacritic, I'll pay you $5,- for it. Now please read that last paragraph again, and feel the aversity. Feel the discordance.
I wrote complete articles about games, and I only got 3$ per article (by article I mean a well thought, well written 5-6 page length wall of text). They even told me that everyone else will get around 20-25$ regardless of length, and I still wrote these, and was happy to get money, even if it's small.

BTW I'm sure most people would be happy if I'd pay them for a beer, but that's just personal opinion :)

Anyways, as I've said before: If someone really wants to do these programs, and says that 5$ isn't enough, then I'll pay them more, just don't ask for the impossible.

Also I have a slightly off-topic story that I'd like to share with you: My teacher's wife was pregnant, and choose a good doctor to help them when the time comes. The child was born, it was healthy and everything like that. When it was about time to leave the hospital and go home, they gave a big basket full of fruits, chocolate and whatnot to the doctor. The doctor smiled and said in a monotone voice: "Well, I'd been happy if I'd got 200$ instead......". Then my teacher calmly grabbed the basket, reached to the bottom, and got and envelope out of it. Inside the envelope there was 1000$. He gave the doctor his 200$, and went home with the basket and 800$.

Moral of the story: Just because someone can do something that others think it's extraordinary, they shouldn't be boasting about it and ask for money. People might give them more than they ask for, and they should be happy that people want to pay for them, even if they don't need it.

It's like what I'm doing, I'm always going around helping random people IRL with their computer problems, sometimes reinstalling Windows, fixing drivers and stuff. Sometimes it takes me 4-5 hours, and all I get is a "Thank you" or MAYBE 5$, when in other places people ask money IN ADVANCE, and not just 5$, but at least 50$... And I'm still happy with it.

Sectus
veteran

Post by Sectus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:14 pm

I don't think people are being greedy (as you pointed out, there's a ton of people here releasing tools for free they spent hours making), but if someone were to create a tool and expect payment for it, I don't see how anyone would be satisfied with 5 USD.

I think people would react more positively if you worded it differently. Saying you're going to pay them 5 USD per working tool implies that's how much the tools are worth. I would recommend saying that you're willing to pay for it, but not mention any specific amount. That way if someone would want payment for it, you can discuss the price with them. Someone might be interested enough to do the project for free. Or if they want payment, you can expect something much higher than 5 USD.

TheReaperCooL
advanced

Post by TheReaperCooL » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:24 pm

Sectus wrote:I don't think people are being greedy (as you pointed out, there's a ton of people here releasing tools for free they spent hours making), but if someone were to create a tool and expect payment for it, I don't see how anyone would be satisfied with 5 USD.

I think people would react more positively if you worded it differently. Saying you're going to pay them 5 USD per working tool implies that's how much the tools are worth. I would recommend saying that you're willing to pay for it, but not mention any specific amount. That way if someone would want payment for it, you can discuss the price with them. Someone might be interested enough to do the project for free. Or if they want payment, you can expect something much higher than 5 USD.
Thanks for the reply (more people should reply like you, not instantly "hurting" them). I'll tell you guys the truth: I didn't have money to pay for the tools, so if someone would've done the tools I couldn't pay them, so I wrote 5 USD per tool as that's how much I could pay at the time.

If someone is still willing to make tools for these games then let me know via PM (with their price and everything included, and we'll sort it out)

Last bumped by TheReaperCooL on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:24 pm.