Forum MultiEx Commander Tools Tools Home
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: [NDS]Civilization Revolution Save game files
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 549 times

You can make the ads go away by registering

I've got trouble figuring out the complete format of the Nintendo DS savegame files. There seems to be some kind of compression or CRC going on. Parts start with 90 XX and then actual values that make sense, but this is not consistent. If I alter those parts that make sense, the game detects corruption, which means the files are checksummed or crc-ed somehow. The files start with a size parameter.

Somebody dealt with this type of compression/saving before?

Here's the whole Sav file that stores 5 savegames.

Attachments:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.

Post subject: Re: [NDS]Civilization Revolution Save game files
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 549 times
OK, I think I've located the CRC/Hash.

The save games are stored the .sav file, of course. And the .sav start off with the magic word "RCMS". At 0x14 is the first checksum, of 4 bytes long, followed by the second etc. up to 5 savegames. The first savegame starts at 0x800, the second at 0xd000, the third at 19800 etc (each savegame has 0xc800 of bytes reserved for it).

Savegames start with an unsigned 32-bit integer that is the whole size of the savegame.

At 0x11 in the savegame there is also an unsigned 32-bit integer that I do not know the meaning of. I've attached a number of savegame files, first an empty one, then one right after the game initialized (so no actual games were saved) and finally one with three savegames: The first and second savegame are the same, except for slot and time. They are identical except for the unsigned 32-bit value I just spoke off. The third savegame is one where only one action different from the other savegames was done (a city founded with the first settler).

Luckily I found a plugin for IDA Pro 5.x that you can copy to IDA's loader folder.

By having that you can open .nds files (rom files, e.g. games).

Perhaps that will help in figuring out the hash/checksum/crc method used to check for savegame-corruption used in the game.

Attachments:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.