XeNTaX Forum Index
Forum MultiEx Commander Tools Tools Home
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 9:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: File Hosting vs. File Sharing - Clarification needed.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:32 am 
n00b

Have thanks: 2 times

Hello, everyone. My name is HOTDfan. And I have a quick question regarding one of the forum rules. The rule in question is the one where it talks about no linking to file sharing websites, as it was somewhat vague. However I have seen multiple instances where forum members have posted links to file hosting sites. Which brings me to the question: What is the difference between file sharing and file hosting?

You can make the ads go away by registering

Post subject: Re: File Hosting vs. File Sharing - Clarification needed.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:02 pm 
advanced

Have thanks: 1 time
My basic understanding is that posting links to anything illegal is not allowed. That includes file sharing sites (torrent sites, ed2k sites, sites which link to downloads of copyrighted stuff on filehosters, etc.) and directly linking to copyrighted stuff (e.g. URLs to game data files on whatever file sharing or file hosting site you can imagine)

It is, however, allowed to link to file hosters for non-problematic content (i.e. everything that you created yourself, like source code, binaries, etc. where the copyright status is clear)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:54 pm 
n00b

Have thanks: 2 times
Darkstar wrote:
My basic understanding is that posting links to anything illegal is not allowed. That includes file sharing sites (torrent sites, ed2k sites, sites which link to downloads of copyrighted stuff on filehosters, etc.) and directly linking to copyrighted stuff (e.g. URLs to game data files on whatever file sharing or file hosting site you can imagine)

I take it that this also includes sample files extracted from a game? Even if said sample files are intended for analysis only?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:57 pm 
advanced

Have thanks: 1 time
Complete game data files are definitely a no-no. Sometimes uploading the first few hundred kb or so is silently tolerated (or goes unnoticed for a couple of days) but don't count on it. I usually paste the link as text-only in these cases, because that doesn't actually qualify as a "link" (you have to mark it and copy/paste to the address bar) but people interested can still get it. At least in our jurisdiction here there are some court decisions that seem to suggest that non-hyperlinked links are treated differently than "real" links

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 pm 

Have thanks: 120 times
No any files or links under copyright is toletated , not even a small part anymore. If you even upload small part of some file what does not belong to you. It will be deleted and you gonna be warn. Please note that site is at risk and we need to play nice.

Downloads from DropBox : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/