XeNTaX Forum Index
Forum MultiEx Commander Tools Tools Home
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:17 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Modding Results
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:58 pm 
advanced

Have thanks: 3 times

Mr.Mouse wrote:
The user Clint Rutjes has been banned for reason of trolling and hijacking a thread to start a personal fight with one of the members.

Thanks, Mr. Mouse. There was only one reason he came here.

As for my ruining the community... please. Clint is one of those that went along with the kids crying that mods are what makes a game publisher stop producing products.

They were actually blaming my mod as the reason that the next version of MX vs ATV wouldn't be released for the PC! LOL, what a joke, every publisher is in it to make money.

AFAIC, mods breathe life into an otherwise dead game. Look at how long some of them have still been around (Unreal Tournament II comes to mind) -- if not for the tons of mods for that game it would have been dead years ago.

The problem with Clint and his crew at the now-hacked-and-dead MGF is that they liked mods like SIM Physics because it didn't make the bikes nearly as fast as my Caffeine mods do (but it still made them faster than the stock bikes that came with the game). SIM still changed the physics, but they didn't call it a "mod". They loved to call Caffeine a "mod" and of course, as we all know, mods ruin games. Ouch -- that was another argument we had over there. ANYTHING that "modifies" a game from its original form is a mod. Just because you like one person's mod over another doesn't mean that one of the projects is a mod and the other isn't. They just couldn't grasp the concept and couldn't appreciate the untold hours that went into making the Caffeine series.

OK, I digress....

You can make the ads go away by registering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 551 times
I personally believe that mods indeed ensure a long lifespan of many games, that otherwise would have died much sooner. I am always annoyed when I learn that game developers fail to include an editor with the retail version, as many games would be perfect to mod. Luckily, people such as Blizzard and Bethesda know this well and offer sophisticated tools with many a game (e.g. StarCraft, WarCraft, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fall Out 3). And I applaud 'amateurs' that create their own tools for otherwise unmoddable games, and provide the games' fanbase with more good stuff to play. Counterstrike was an excellent mod of Half Life and still one of the most played on line shooters to date.
Good to see that many developers release SDK's at some point that enable modders to take modding even great leaps further.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:16 pm 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 2 times
I was able to turn wire frame mode on in Portal: Still Alive :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Nice :) How you'd do that?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:42 pm 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 2 times
I added this to modoptions.360.txt

Code:
   "Wireframe"
   {
      "name"      "Wireframe"
      "convar"   "mat_wireframe"
      "priority"   "0980"
      "type"      "choice"
      "choices"
      {
         "Off"      "0"
         "On"      "1"
         "Mode 2"   "2"
         "Mode 3"   "3"
      }
   }

Then I got a friend with some special Xbox 360 hardware to test it out and take pictures :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:21 am 
advanced

Mr.Mouse wrote:
I personally believe that mods indeed ensure a long lifespan of many games, that otherwise would have died much sooner. I am always annoyed when I learn that game developers fail to include an editor with the retail version, as many games would be perfect to mod. Luckily, people such as Blizzard and Bethesda know this well and offer sophisticated tools with many a game (e.g. StarCraft, WarCraft, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fall Out 3). And I applaud 'amateurs' that create their own tools for otherwise unmoddable games, and provide the games' fanbase with more good stuff to play. Counterstrike was an excellent mod of Half Life and still one of the most played on line shooters to date.
Good to see that many developers release SDK's at some point that enable modders to take modding even great leaps further.

I agree 100%. When the developers don't include a track/level/whatever editor I find it to be a huge let down.

Some of the mods for Unreal Tournament II would make you wonder what the game looked like in its original configuration. :) But, that is what makes this community so cool.

I know I'm a very small time player on the mod scene, but I'm proud of what I did with the budget title MX vs ATV Unleashed for the PC. That game is going on 3 years old, but I think it's still a blast to play with my mods (of course I'm biased).

I also made a mod for Medal of Honor Allied Assault (MOHAA) quite a few years ago. Basically, it added 1,000 rounds of ammo to all weapons and also made the bazooka semi-automatic. :) Now that was a blast to fire off bazooka rounds as fast as you could pull the trigger - the whole damned screen would shake from all the successive explosions! LOL

But, once again, some people with poor senses of humor would complain about how unrealistic it was -- well, duh, of course it's unrealistic, but it was a helluva lot of fun to play.

I've never been one to aim for realism when it comes to modding. I like to push the limits of what I'm interested in and see how freaky I can make things play.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Indeed, it was also fun to play with the rules.ini of the Red Alert range of games. Once, I had put tesla weaponry (that usually only were for Tesla towers, stationary turrets) in the hands of infantry. That was devastation! A small company of tesla soldiers could wreak immense havoc and it was awesome to look at, all the rays going criss-cross over the screen.
In later versions (C&C3 and RA3) these soldiers were officially implemented, but my modded soldiers at the time had much more tesla firepower! Hehe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:43 pm 
advanced

Mr.Mouse wrote:
Indeed, it was also fun to play with the rules.ini of the Red Alert range of games. Once, I had put tesla weaponry (that usually only were for Tesla towers, stationary turrets) in the hands of infantry. That was devastation! A small company of tesla soldiers could wreak immense havoc and it was awesome to look at, all the rays going criss-cross over the screen.
In later versions (C&C3 and RA3) these soldiers were officially implemented, but my modded soldiers at the time had much more tesla firepower! Hehe.

LMAO, THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Did you ever release it, or was it just for your own amusement? If you released it, did you have any little babies crying about how it ruined the game or was unfair?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 61 times
The only little baby crying was Mr. Mouse when I blew up his construction yard 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

That's your word against mine, Captain. You have witnesses? :bye:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 61 times
:P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:20 am 
VVIP member
VVIP member

Have thanks: 14 times
Mr.Mouse wrote:

I third this. Unreal I was immortalized due to the mod scene and so have other games. Mods are not destructive and not insulting but a show of extreme interest and devotion. Testing the limits of said games I think is more so a compliment to the game maker, knowing that their engine could be used to do that. Even today Unreal I is subject to mods and is thoroughly supported online. And I too applaud people who make unmoddable games moddable.

I have seen a number of games that were great but failed to include means to expand their game in any way, not even a map editor/builder which gets to me. This may explain why they never get talked about. In my research,unless the game is really good, this unmodability actually hurts a game's lifespan tremendously.

This is further supported by the fact that Die By the Sword is actually still somewhat popular and Jane's Fighters Anthology is still actively modded.

As for C&C... I should start my mods back up. XD Other than Unreal, Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 was a load of modding fun. Floating rocks that shot out heat rays, Gas tanks that spewed toxic gas, and a beta of the Gargantua Tank which... exceeded it's bounding box sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:20 am 
n00b

Have thanks: 9 times
The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:42 am 
VVIP member
VVIP member

Have thanks: 14 times
Here are some results from me and Balder's progress on the I.M.Meen graphics exploration.

An almost complete recreation of the first level from I.M.Meen in Doom Builder (hence the highlighted wall).

Soon I plan that we'll have the sprites and transparent walls and even animated doors so it'll be complete. And the enemies will be converted over in all their entirety as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Nice man! :) Never heard of this I M Meen before, actually, but looked it up in Moby Games. A childrens game eh? Why recreate it in ID's Doom engine? :think:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next