It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Angry people
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 pm 
VVIP member
VVIP member

Have thanks: 630 times

Just my opinion here:

I'm here from many years and I have seen that a forum free to anyone first introduced advertising everywhere that became more invasive, then forced donations (forum no longer free) and now it's even closed to public.

I guess that many people like me joined the forum to help others and sharing knowledge, and not for having their work shared only to a limited amount of paying people.

As far as I understand the main problem are the copyright complains and the costs, correct?

Is it possible to have some statistics about these complains?
I have read the recent blog post and basically it seems that have been received 1000 complains, so it looks like maintaining the Xentax forum is very expensive and dangerous... at this point why continuing to keep it open in this status?

Don't get me wrong, I'm really interested because the only complain I remember was something of many years ago (but don't remember) and I don't think it's necessary an expensive powerful dedicated server with lot of space for the forum.

You can make the ads go away by registering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:40 am 

Have thanks: 476 times
With MultiEx and Noesis downloads no longer being hosted here, I'd be pretty surprised if the bandwidth usage is still really all that high. So if bandwidth cost is still an issue, I would just go with shared hosting at this point, it's very cheap (usually 100-200 per year) and most shared hosting services will just throttle you when you exceed a certain cap rather than hitting you with fees and higher costs. I move hundreds of gigs per month on mine with my various projects and have never even noticed any throttling.

Cracking down on copyrighted and/or illegal file distribution is still the right thing either way, though. It's only a matter of time before full internet fascism kicks in across the globe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:25 pm 

Have thanks: 120 times
I was actually thinking about this and i guess i will offer Mr.Mouse to move the site to my ded. server(very powerfull) if he want to. But before this can happens i need to know some stats, how much load this site will generate and then we can remove some ads and might some other things from the posts. Not sure what Mr.Mouse want to do with the site, but i can also help with transfer :) Will see... ill try to speak to him.

Downloads from DropBox : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 550 times
Well, first off, the forum is taking most of the bandwidth.
Second, the ads were more invasive now because Adsense no longer wants to do business with us and we had to look for alternatives, as well as close the forum for the general public (because we were getting notifications of this or that breach on a monthly basis, and believe me when I say I do not have the time for this bullshit each and everytime). PayPal also closed us off and took our money for hostage - it was only my compulsory complaining with them that made them release the money (but still close us off for further business). They reassessed our site after the changes I made and concluded it was of "limited risk". But would conduct a further analysis and block the account.

I intend to look into the matter of reopening the forum for public viewing at least. I also think that the ads are not effective at all at the moment, so they may go. I am just making sure the funds are there.

Hopefully, I won't have to explain myself why we are doing this the current way. I was on the brink of closing this forum altogether but decided not to (yet). Yes, the forum is open for posting only to those who donate a little, and only a one time donation is all there is to it. It certainly keeps a lot of trash outside, and there are alternative ways to register at the forum for those worthy enough.

The coming week(s) will see probably the public reopening of the forum for viewing, and the ads gone. I may even be tempted to bring back the wiki. I spent 11 years on this forum since I started it, dedicated a hell of a lot of time to it that has been a waste if it will have to stop. We have a good host that is ready for us 24/7 and also that is better than running our own server with the time we got on our hands (next to nil).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:38 am 
VVIP member
VVIP member

Thanks for the information, Mr Mouse.

I guess there are some alternatives to solve the problem.

What I think is that the content released till now is too much and too valuable to be made private and going lost from the search engines.
In this case you may opt for a "historic" section which goes public and all the rest (the new posts) kept private as is now.
Basically, what is done is done and it's already "sanitized" (links removed, edited threads and so on), so it should be no longer a problem.

Regarding the new users and those who desire to talk more in deep about some topics, it's possible to redirect them to other resources.
I have a possible project in mind and I guess it may be useful to remove some "pressure" from Xentax.

I was re-reading what you wrote and, apparently, the copyright issues are not related to the server itself but only to the money-related services (ads and paypal), is it correct?
Being the server hosted in US I would have expected more complain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

The forum ads are gone, as well as the forum is for the largest part again public.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 pm 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 0 time
I'm new here and I had no issue with making a donation to access the forum. It's a fair trade when you consider all of the information and software provided here, and it isn't like you guys are asking for a fortune. I wish I could contribute, but me not knowing a single programming language doesn't do me any favors.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you bitmap. :bravo:

Also: wiki and MultiEx Commander pages are back up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:11 pm 
VVIP member
VVIP member

Anyway the project about which I was talking in my previous post is now online at http://zenhax.com

I don't know if it will reduce the amount of Xentax haters but, who knows, at least it's an idea.
Everyone is invited :)

Last edited by Mr.Mouse on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
We don't need a new forum elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

This is not the way forward. The forum is here and still in place. We don't need another one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 am 
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Have thanks: 178 times
Mr.Mouse wrote:
This is not the way forward. The forum is here and still in place. We don't need another one.

Wouldn't hurt to have more than one ..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:30 am 
VVIP member
VVIP member

Mr.Mouse wrote:

Very mature move to remove the link to a free resource, my compliments.
Almost mature like having a thread where you joke and insult people who don't like your forum for various reasons that it's hard to claim are false or wrong.
:bravo:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:10 am 
Site Admin

aluigi wrote:
Mr.Mouse wrote:

Very mature move to remove the link to a free resource, my compliments.
Almost mature like having a thread where you joke and insult people who don't like your forum for various reasons that it's hard to claim are false or wrong.
:bravo:

Yes, we're all very mature. Apparently. How it looks is: you post a message in a forum that's been around since 2003 and say: everybody! Come here instead!

I find that odd, perhaps even impertinent. At any other forum, if I did something like that, I'd probably be banned straightaway. Surely you agree. :) But after some consideration, I have returned the link for your personal benefit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 am 
Site Admin

cra0 wrote:
Mr.Mouse wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to have more than one ..

True. However, I do find it ...amusing... to see that Aluigi uses the name ZENHAX. I also see that the forum titles are the same as over here.
What I find equally ...interesting... is that he states that it is quite "normal" that posts are deleted or changed at this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:44 am 
VVIP member
VVIP member

I have never said that people must move from here to there.
That's even written in the FAQ where I call my project a "complement".

Till a week ago Xentax was closed to public, full of advertisements, payware, no wiki and with tons of posts edited.
In fact in my post of some days ago I already introduced this idea, I don't remember anyone discussed about that idea or was interested in it.

The names of the main sections are the same with my descriptions, and so?
Xentax is a known community and people will find it confortable to see those sections.

Zenhax is a name with a logic, there is even the explanation of the name in the FAQ.

The layout is the default subsilver2 of phpbb3.

And yes, it's normal to see edited posts on Xentax due to the link policy and other reasons, it's a fact that anyone can see by viewing the current and old posts.