It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: FFXII .vbf format
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:58 am 
veteran

Have thanks: 72 times

Yeah, it does take some time when moving the 30gb the first time. After that its smooth sailing though. I don't see why your method would have issues with the files that contain more 64kb chunks though. If you move just the first few files to the end, it gives plenty of space to re-write the compressed chunk sizes so your method should be good. I was only suggesting to move the 30gb because you mentioned that files that when modded contain more 64kb chunks than the original may cause an issue.

You can make the ads go away by registering

Post subject: Re: FFXII .vbf format
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:11 am 
beginner

Have thanks: 25 times
EcheloCross wrote:
Yeah, it does take some time when moving the 30gb the first time. After that its smooth sailing though. I don't see why your method would have issues with the files that contain more 64kb chunks though. If you move just the first few files to the end, it gives plenty of space to re-write the compressed chunk sizes so your method should be good. I was only suggesting to move the 30gb because you mentioned that files that when modded contain more 64kb chunks than the original may cause an issue.

Ah, ok. Now I get it. You were just trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. The tool works perfectly and as intended. There is no problem with rebuilding the TOC nor anything I know about. It's been tested quite thoroughly and only problem I know about was someone trying to modify vbf archive in program files directory without admin privileges (which obviously failed).

I wasn't updating it because it was all I actually needed to complete the task I had.

There is one problem that might occur, though - if a user completely rebuilds the archive with another tool and doesn't remove the vbf_extra.bin file, there will be a mismatch between offsets and sizes in the extra file and real files, so that could cause some issues - the check is done by offset, so it's still very unlikely to cause issues. I could make a check for such a scenario, but it's very unlikely to happen, tbh.

I wasn't describing the problem I had, rather explaining the solution to a problem, things I've done to make it work. You see, I'm that kind of person that you'd rather not ask for a technical advice. I will give you a solution, but then I'll feel obliged to teach you how to get to that solution yourself, then how to solve any similar problems... and probably how solving a problem works at all. After half an hour you're wondering why won't he shut the F. up, because you don't actually need to know how to solve the problem, you just need a solution.

TL;DR;
Thank you and sorry, it was just a misunderstanding.