It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 11:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: GCS and GCM Wii Game Files
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:43 am 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 0 time

Although it sucks, the one thing that Rudolph game for Wii got right was models. I've been checking out the files lately to see what I can find, only to see it's full of gcs and gcm files. I've looked it up, and it seems like these filetypes are used in a fair bit of other games, but I haven't seen anything that can extract them. Anyone up for a challenge?

Here's some samples. I've also included a pair of gcs/gcm files from a Dora Wii game, since they seem to use the same type and same engine, in case you want to compare. I quickly compared the one from each game in a hex editor, and they both look pretty similar.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!As1xN7fhSYEyiFPasi7oT-mhhNRl

You can make the ads go away by registering

Post subject: Re: GCS and GCM Wii Game Files
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:32 pm 
ultra-n00b

I've tried to open them in MultiEx and all of them seem to contain a Content.bin file, unless I'm not understanding this program correctly. Hmm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:42 pm 
n00b

Have thanks: 1 time
I can't take you all the way because I'm new to the format but hopefully point you in the right direction. Contained on the disk as well as those files are two text files which are manifests. One points to the 99's, the other singles out the 10's as game levels. You won't get anywhere trying to open one however because these files are split, think like a "rar" or "iso" in several pieces that needs to be joined to be extracted. They may also suffer a special compression given the disks format is WBFS? Anyways search about online for split files of these types and how to join and use them, there seems to be a bit out there though lengthy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:09 am 
ultra-n00b

SickAlice wrote:
I can't take you all the way because I'm new to the format but hopefully point you in the right direction. Contained on the disk as well as those files are two text files which are manifests. One points to the 99's, the other singles out the 10's as game levels. You won't get anywhere trying to open one however because these files are split, think like a "rar" or "iso" in several pieces that needs to be joined to be extracted. They may also suffer a special compression given the disks format is WBFS? Anyways search about online for split files of these types and how to join and use them, there seems to be a bit out there though lengthy.

Would the text files by any chance be cdgame.txt and levels.txt?

I'll keep searching around to see if I can find anything. I wish I could upload all of them so someone could help me further, but then that'd be considered piracy. :P Thanks for your help!

Still open to further suggestions if anyone's got any.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:03 pm 
n00b

Have thanks: 1 time
Yup, those be the ones. Not a lot of files to work through really. I agree too, anyone else looking into it would be best to just acquire it since they'll need to look at all the files at once and we wouldn't want to upload the whole game here.