Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: [PC] Black Desert Online .PAT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:07 am 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 0 time

You can make the ads go away by registering

Hello XeNTaX.

I'm looking for a solution for viewing/converting the .pat files that Black Desert Online occasionally uses.

99% of the models in Black Desert Online use your everyday .dds format for the textures. However, when it comes to the customizable character models, it uses both .dds textures and another format called .pat. I don't know whether or not they are actually texture files, but I'd like to find out before I go about deleting them from my HDD. Unfortunately, things can't just be simple and it's not the same type of .pat that Photoshop is capable of opening.

There was previously a thread on this website from another user about this same kind of file, but sadly it's been over a year with no response:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12805

I can confirm that what he talked about in that thread still applies. The executable that can be found within the game's files cannot convert the .pat files either. Running the same executable without dropping a file on the executable gives an error message that it failed to find a file that appears to originate from one of the developer's filesystem. Unfortunately, that missing file can't be found in the game files so that program seems to be a dead end.

I've attached a ZIP archive containing the executable and a couple of the .pat textures below.

Massive thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Attachments:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Register to gain access.

Post subject: Re: [PC] Black Desert Online .PAT
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:36 pm 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 0 time
Upon further deduction, I'm pretty certain those .pat files are used for the tattoos that you can put on a custom character in-game, as no .dds textures exist for them.

I know that's not really helpful, but I figured I'd bring it up anyway.