XeNTaX Forum Index
Forum MultiEx Commander Tools Tools Home
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: How do I open the .mus files from Rio (for Wii)???
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:00 am 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 0 time

After many, many, MANY research, tests and failures, I give up. I've searched around Google for almost a whole week to try and figure this out, but it seems for me that the .mus files in the Rio (for Wii) game's files are very unique. VGSC didn't work, Winamp with vgsm could not read the files as well as Finale Notepad, MFAudio doesn't recognise the files and there are many more softwares that didn't work and/or are junkware (I can't even count them).

I am so desperate to find how (and even IF) I can open those files. If not, it's not a big deal. But I would really like an answer to this burning question stuck in my head.

If I can open them, I would like to be able to convert them from .mus to a more conventional format (like .wav or .mp3) and be able to create .mus files from custom music with the same settings of the original files (in other words, rebuild the .mus files from mp3, wav or any other conventional format with custom sounds).

Since I am worried with copyrights, I won't host the file(s) I want to open. At least, with how far I got, I can give you a step by step on how to extract the .mus files of Rio for Wii, since this ISO is particular to extract and that information about this is extremely rare (the only topic I found about this is on this website):
1- It is important to check if you have Rio for Wii on a legitimate CD first. Else, you could be in big legal trouble by proceeding with the ISO process. If you do not have the legitimate CD, DO NOT CONTINUE.
2- Get Rio's game's ISO for wii (from the CD or from the internet if, like I said earlier, you have the legitimate CD)
3- Extract it with an ISO extractor and use QuickBMS with this bms script (clic here to download) to extract the .000 files in the DATA folder (the ones that are combined with .bin files. thanks to this post that originally found how to extract those .000 files). I recommend you only extract FILE_COM.000 since it contains the main sounds (I think since I can't open them).
4- You will see all the .mus files mixed in the folder you extracted the .000 (except if you extracted filelist.000 that contains no .mus files). THOSE are the one I want to open, convert and even edit if possible.

I'm doing this only to put my own soundtrack and/or voice acting and be able to play the custom game on Dolphin. I also want to put custom cinematics. At least, those are thp files, so I can edit them pretty easily (even if the resolution of them are 640x448 and not 640x480 like many other games. If you want to help me about that, check my post here).

By the way, I am pretty new to game file extraction, so I don't know much about some things. I've learned during my research though. But it wasn't enough for me to be able to open those .mus files... I just hope to get an answer soon...

You can make the ads go away by registering