All times are UTC + 1 hour

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Getting playable OGGs out of Just Cause 3's FMOD .fsb files
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:18 pm 
n00b

Have thanks: 1 time

I realize that this is a problem likely as old as time itself, but:

I used Gibbed's tools to extract JC3's arc/tab files and then used this QuickBMS script to extract FSBs from the extracted .bank files:
Code:
for OFFSET = 0
    goto OFFSET
    findloc OFFSET string "FSB5"
    goto OFFSET
    getdstring FSB_SIGN 4   # FSOUND_FSB_HEADER_FSB5 (fsb.h)
    get version long
    get numsamples long
    get shdrsize long
    get namesize long
    get datasize long
    xmath SIZE "0x3c + shdrsize + namesize + datasize"
    log "" OFFSET SIZE
next OFFSET + SIZE

It's from somewhere in this forum, I forgot from where exactly.

Next, I used Aezay's FSB Extractor (I probably could've used fsbext.exe, but this GUI was nice to use and displayed extra info) to try to extract the actual music from these files, but all I got were weird OGG files with what seems to be a missing header.
Now, I used Google extensively before writing this post and it seems that the only solutions to this problem are:
1. Using FMOD Designer to rejigger the FSB files, which is pretty hard because one can't actually download it anymore without emailing their sales dept
2. Recording the output of some tool called "Music Player Ex" which I can't find because there are so many malware sites using that name

I realize that the OGG format (or at least the version used by the FMOD thingy) makes it difficult if not impossible to restore a generic header.
Still, I'd like to avoid reencoding the sound files if at all possible. Has someone solved the problem of extracting FMOD files yet?

If anyone wants to take a shot at extracting the music, here's one of the OGG files: https://bubbelsearch.de/files/jc3/jc3_m ... rd_end.ogg

You can make the ads go away by registering

Post subject: Re: Getting playable OGGs out of Just Cause 3's FMOD .fsb fi
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:56 am 
n00b

Have thanks: 1 time
Welp, I figured out how to do it.
A kind soul by the name of Tomasz Miąsko wrote a tool to extract samples from FSB5 files, but included an assertion that made the program fail on unexpected headers, making extraction from Just Cause 3's files impossible.
I fixed that assertion to make it possible: https://github.com/SamusAranX/fsb-vorbis-extractor
It's seemingly Linux-only, but that shouldn't be a problem. If I did it, everyone else with access to a working Linux system should be able to do it as well.

It still crashes on FSBs that contain non-music files, namely on these:
  • character
  • debug
  • dialog
  • diegetic
  • effects
  • game_objects
  • gui
  • vehicles*
  • weapons*

Luckily, all the music gets exported correctly, as far as I can tell. Here's the contents of my music_challenges folder after extraction:
And best of all, it doesn't seem to get re-encoded, so you're getting it as the devs intended it to be heard: In ~200-300 kb/s Ogg Vorbis. :D
(Seriously, I can't effing wait for an official soundtrack release on CD. Take all my money, Avalanche.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:13 pm 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 0 time
Look, there are some simple ways to protect your computer:
1/ toggle your email provider’s anti-spam settings to filter out all the potentially harmful incoming messages. Raising the bar beyond the default protection is an important countermeasure for ransom Trojans.
2/ define specific file extension restrictions in your email system. Make sure that attachments with the following extensions are blacklisted: .js, .vbs, .docm, .hta, .exe, .cmd, .scr, and .bat. Also, treat ZIP archives in received messages with extreme caution.
Rename the vssadmin.exe process so that ransomware is unable to obliterate all Shadow Volume Copies of your files in one shot.
3/ keep your Firewall active at all times. It can prevent crypto ransomware from communicating with its C&C server. This way, the threat won’t be able to obtain cryptographic keys and lock your files.
4/ back up your files regularly, at least the most important ones. This recommendation is self-explanatory. A ransomware attack isn’t an issue as long as you keep unaffected copies of your data in a safe place.
5/ use an effective antimalware suite. There are security tools that identify ransomware-specific behavior and block the infection before it can do any harm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:14 pm 
ultra-n00b

Have thanks: 0 time
Well and besides, MacOs is no longer a safe system - here is an article on this topic http://macsecurity.net/view/162/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:30 pm 
n00b

Have thanks: 3 times
http://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1901